Hello from Australia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistachio

Reaction score
Been lurking off and on for a while, figured it was time to sign up.
My introduction to Japanese kitchen knives occurred too many years ago, via the old foodie forums. I picked up a Tojiro DP gyuto, and not too long after put the hobby on hold for some years. Over the course of a few years now I seem to have accumulated more knives than are probably strictly necessary, but still dream of "just a few" more.

Always good to see the Aussie contingent growing. Welcome aboard! (And abandon all hope, ye who…)

Welcome!

Which state do you represent :)?

I seem to have accumulated more knives than are probably strictly necessary, but still dream of "just a few" more.

.... well... we're not here to put socks on caterpillars! :p Whacha got and whatcha dreaming of?

Which state do you represent :)?
As in state of Australia? The western one, which is creatively named Western Australia.
.... well... we're not here to put socks on caterpillars! :p Whacha got and whatcha dreaming of?

Will have to put together a post with pictures and more notes, but currently have the following:

240 Shigeki Tanaka gyuto, Blue 2/stainless nashiji
210 Shigeki Tanaka gyuto, ginsan nashiji
210 Misono gyuto, Sweedish steel (flower engraving)
180 Hiromoto santoku, AS
270 Yamawaku yanagiba
180 Kamata deba, white 2
165 Yamawaku nakiri
150 Shigeki Tanaka petty, Blue 2/damascus
105 ?? cheap ajikiri, carbon
90 Tojiro paring
---
205 Stainless cleaver
90 Victorinox paring
150 Victorinox curved wide/stiff boning

On the wish list:
  1. I'd like to try a nice cleaver. I had only an inexpensive cleaver and a Vic paring knife for quite a few years, so feel reasonably comfortable with a cleaver.
  2. Several gyutos (curious what the Mazaki craze is about, plus there are probably a half-dozen other gyutos that I've had an eye on for a while)
  3. A bread knife, perhaps a Mac
  4. A honesuki...seems like it'd be a bit of fun
  5. A funayuki...for some reason I am stuck with the idea of making one of these the knife I take fishing, but I also don't quite see how a carbon knife will work out well with saltwater and fish blood exposure
  6. The one that got away: a Hiromoto gyuto (had planned to get one as a second gyuto for years and years, and when I finally went to get one, it was too late :()

Back