Hexclad Pots & Pans or other recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All Clad is only like 15-20% more, and that's if you're buying direct from All Clad, and the margin gets considerably smaller if you buy from other vendors on sale. I remember Made In being more affordable when they first came out, but their 5 ply stainless (which is their only stainless line) isn't really a bargain.

The 10 piece set is $750 direct from Made In while the 10 piece All Clad D5 set is $899 direct new from AC. That's a 20% difference. You can get it cheaper if you buy it elsewhere (or if you buy seconds/imperfects from their outlet). The 12" fry pan from MI is $120; the AC one is $150 but it comes with a lid. And if you get it elsewhere, it's even cheaper ($130 at QVC right now).

All Clad is only like 15-20% more, and that's if you're buying direct from All Clad, and the margin gets considerably smaller if you buy from other vendors on sale. I remember Made In being more affordable when they first came out, but their 5 ply stainless (which is their only stainless line) isn't really a bargain.

The 10 piece set is $750 direct from Made In while the 10 piece All Clad D5 set is $899 direct new from AC. That's a 20% difference. You can get it cheaper if you buy it elsewhere (or if you buy seconds/imperfects from their outlet). The 12" fry pan from MI is $120; the AC one is $150 but it comes with a lid. And if you get it elsewhere, it's even cheaper ($130 at QVC right now).

Yeah, Made In prices definitely jumped. When I first started buying them they were an excellent value but at today's prices they are bumping up against other competition. That doesn't mean Made In isn't still a great product, just that now it's worth looking around at other quality pans before deciding.

The 10 piece set is $750 direct from Made In while the 10 piece All Clad D5 set is $899 direct new from AC. That's a 20% difference.

That’s a pretty discounted rate on AC 10 piece though right? When I was shopping for a 12” fry pan it was close to double. If I recall made in was around $100 at the time and AC $200 for 5ply.

maybe their stainless is better than their carbon steel. based on the latter I can't imagine ever buying another product from them.
Yeah can’t speak to the carbon only have stainless and one non stick from them. Only carbon Ive tried is debuyer mineral b pro which I like.

What was the issue with Made in carbon?

Yeah can’t speak to the carbon only have stainless and one non stick from them. Only carbon Ive tried is debuyer mineral b pro which I like.

What was the issue with Made in carbon?

horrible, and I mean genuinely horrible, holding of seasoning. the handle was also not that great, and the pan is too thin, and despite that I found pretty poor performance re hot spots. maybe my least favorite pan Ive ever owned (that wasnt throwaway stuff given to me when I was much younger) if I consider the price.

but then of the non-small shop stuff I really only like DeBuyer's pro line so I dunno I may be the wrong person to ask

I had a 12" carbon steel Matfer that was also freaking terrible at holding seasoning for some inexplicable reason. Unexplainably bad. I hit it with so much BKF and sandpaper and lye to exorcise whatever unholy spirit was causing the sickness. I tried to purify it with fire. Alas, the poor soul was doomed and done for. In anger, it went into the garbage.

I have a 34cm Darto paella that's better in every way (along with a set of their original pans). A 12" All Clad D7 replaced the Matfer, just to have a stainless option that weighs a ton and packs a huge thermal whollop. It was slightly imperfect for $109.99. Such a sick pan/price. I also have a 12" lodge, but that doesn't feel quite as luxurious to cook with. It still does the job when that's what I need though.

Maybe the problem was the oil?
At some point I struggled to season anything when I switched to using rice bran oil because it just wouldn't polymerize no matter what...

Maybe the problem was the oil?
At some point I struggled to season anything when I switched to using rice bran oil because it just wouldn't polymerize no matter what...
I've been seasoning with rice bran oil for years. Never any problem.

I've been seasoning with rice bran oil for years. Never any problem.
Weird... for me it just wouldn't really work. At least not like most other vegetable oils. Maybe I also offended the iron gods?

Weird... for me it just wouldn't really work. At least not like most other vegetable oils. Maybe I also offended the iron gods?
I'd say so ;-)

I've used rice bran for my wok, my Lodge cast iron skillet, and my De Buyer carbon steel fry pan. All without issues. Maybe the brand of oil? If cellulose remains in the oil, it tends to carbonise. For seasoning, highly refined oils are best. The last thing you want to use is "cold pressed" or "organic" or some such.

What actually happened to your seasoning?

I'd say so ;-)

I've used rice bran for my wok, my Lodge cast iron skillet, and my De Buyer carbon steel fry pan. All without issues. Maybe the brand of oil? If cellulose remains in the oil, it tends to carbonise. For seasoning, highly refined oils are best. The last thing you want to use is "cold pressed" or "organic" or some such.

What actually happened to your seasoning?
It just wouldn't really form a proper non-stick layer. So I'd burn them in and they'd still behave as if there was nothing there.

Which was weird because the pans I hadn't had issues in the past - even on these same pans (I made the foolish choice to 'reset' the pans and start over to test some things).

The only other oil I have had bad experience with was flaxseed oil; had a lot of flaking with it.

Rice bran oil not working well for seasoning made sense in my mind since the main reason to start using it originally was exactly because it wouldn't leave this sticky polymerized mess on the rim of my pans, and has just about the highest smoke point of any oil. For now I just went back to using grapeseed oil.

Maybe your temperature was too low, or possibly too much oil?

When I season, I make sure to very thoroughly wipe all the oil off again, to the point where you'd think there was never any oil applied in the first place. If there is too much oil, it tends to clump into tiny sticky specks. If you see those, it's a sign that there was too much oil.

I bring the pan up to temperature slowly (five minutes or so), so the chemistry has time to do its thing. Then I increase the heat and, as soon as I see the first wisp of smoke, I turn off the element and let the pan cool on the element until it is at room temperature. If the temperature is too low, the oil won't polymerise properly, again leaving a a sticky film.

If neither of these are the culprit, I'd say that the problem is the particular brand of oil. But I wouldn't get too hung up about the type of oil anyway. Sunflower works fine, as does grape seed oil. I agree that flax is no good. Lots of people are having problems with it flaking off after a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back