Honesuki Help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

U.S.A.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Honesuki

Are you right or left handed?

Righthanded

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

I could happily go either way but, all things being equal, would probably lean Western.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

I was thinking ~150mm but could be persuaded to change course.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No, although I am curious if the collective wisdom suggests that stainless is better for breaking down birds.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

I didn’t buy the Bill Burke honesuki that listed for $1500 at Blade Gallery, so less than $1500. ;)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Cutting down poultry

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

None, pure addition of a specialty knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Primarily pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

I want a dedicated knife designed for breaking down chickens rather than employing more generalized tools for the task

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

I can be seduced by beauty, which I often find in a Spartan form

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

I would like a balanced knife with a stable grip for its intended application

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

As a specialty knife, its ability to be employed right out of the box is a primary driver of this purchase

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

I would also hope that a specialty knife would have strong edge retention outside of user error

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Wood, rubber, and synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes, I can always be persuaded to indulge a hobby

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

1. As I suggested above, my default setting is usually a carbon knife, so I am curious if anyone has an impassioned defense of stainless steel for a honesuki.

2. My preference to this point has been Western makers, so I would welcome some reputable options if they exist and some better alternatives from Japan if they don’t.

3. I would appreciate a primer on single/double bevels and grind profiles that are optimal for a honesuki.

As I've said on this forum multiple times, a honesuki is the one Japanese knife I really wanted. I pursued the more common designs (gyuto, nakiri, etc.) first to help build my overall knowledge before I sought out the honesuki.

What did I get?

A sub-$60USD Masakane 150mm in SK steel. And I love it! The SK steel is quite corrosion resistant, resilient, and easy to maintain. I don't fear bones or feel like I need to be careful and it performs it's role extremely well.

It's broken down and boned a lot of chickens and also handled this large turkey with no issues.
SzklpuS.jpg

A Sakai Kikumori, Kanehide, etc. would be in this same category. My point being, this is an application where more money does not necessarily equate to more performance.

I bought a Hattori honesuke about 6 years ago. Since then, I've bought and sold dozens of knives. My Hattori is going nowhere. I've never even been the slightly bit tempted to sell it. Highly recommended, although it's expensive for a honesuke. Hattori Forums FH Series FH-5L Boning Knife 160mm (6.2inch, Black Linen Micarta Handle)

Why do I like it? 1) Perfect handle, which is comfortable, versatile, and grippy when wet. 2) The steel is vg10, which gets **** on in this forum, but the forum is wrong, and Hattori's vg10 is easy to sharpen, and stays sharp a long time. 3) It's balanced perfectly and feels like a natural extension of your hand. Very easy to control.

I honestly think you'd be very pleased with a Hattori.

I do not think that it is real turquoise anyway. The knife would be way more expensive.

I bought a Hattori honesuke about 6 years ago. Since then, I've bought and sold dozens of knives. My Hattori is going nowhere. I've never even been the slightly bit tempted to sell it. Highly recommended, although it's expensive for a honesuke. Hattori Forums FH Series FH-5L Boning Knife 160mm (6.2inch, Black Linen Micarta Handle)

Why do I like it? 1) Perfect handle, which is comfortable, versatile, and grippy when wet. 2) The steel is vg10, which gets **** on in this forum, but the forum is wrong, and Hattori's vg10 is easy to sharpen, and stays sharp a long time. 3) It's balanced perfectly and feels like a natural extension of your hand. Very easy to control.

I honestly think you'd be very pleased with a Hattori.

I have one too and agree that it’s a very nice knife. If anything it feels too nice to be a Honesuki - a bit too premium

Totally agree about Hattori’s VG10. It’s honestly one of the easiest stainless variants to maintain ime - quick to sharpen, easy to deburr and responsive to touch ups. They’re good all round, surprisingly tough and well finished blades in general. I’ve not bought much else in VG10 admittedly, but the reputation seems unfair - SG2 is generally much more of a pig for me to consistently keep at a properly sharp level, with far too many persistent burrs for my liking.

Apparently, white buffalo turquoise is not a true turquoise, despite the nomenclature.

While we are challenging narratives, would anyone like to dispute the claim that “ This might be the best Honesuki you can buy?”

https://realsharpknife.com/collecti...50mm-honesuki-custom-1?variant=40261785583769

Sure. Define "best". Dustin himself doesn't give any supporting evidence for his claim. It's almost $400 for something that I promise you will not do any better of a functional job than my sub-$20 F. Dick boning knife.

1: arguably the knife where stainless is the least required. It'll just take a nice blueish patina over time.

2: Most honesukis are actually very asymmetric double bevel knives... true single bevels are the exception.

Especially if it's your first honesuki, and since it's a knife you only really use for poultry, I'd say don't overspend. It's an interesting knife but I never found mine particularly useful at anything else. Yes you can do butchery work with it but other knives do it better, and as ersatz petty it tends to be suboptimal.
Personally I actually prefer something more abuseproof, so something with a pakkawood western handle and abuse as a tool and get dirty without having to worry about your pretty handle. I would not want a honesuki with a fancy handle or with a nicely rounded spine. Sharp spine is actually a good thing on a honesuki since you can scrape bones with it. Kanehide / Masahiro Bessaku is pretty much the cheapest but still decent option. If you want to spend more I'd probably go for Misono?

Still, keep in mind that no one needs a honesuki. They're fun knives if you do poultry reasonably often, but truth be told if you understand a birds anatomy you could just about as easily do it with a paring knife or a box cutter.
I like mine because for me the knife shape just works, and its extremely easy to maintain / sharpen due to its profile. I always found the tip on western butcher knives a pain to sharpen.

Longer blades confer an advantage if you break down larger birds like turkeys somewhat frequently. For chickens I don’t think it matters much.

It depends on what other knives you have. If you have 3 yo-debas in different sizes and will use the honesuki exclusively for chickens, it won't matter. If you will use it for other tasks where you don't want to sacrifice a fine edge for, a larger one is nice. I like my 165mm Misono Carbon a lot. A longer blade makes it easier to vary the edge: a fine, thin tip section and a robust base. The price difference between the 145 and the 165 is quite serious, though.

To offer some closure to this thread, I managed to track down a Raquin honesuki:

76652242-AA55-42A9-AC59-A4C8C053A27B.jpeg

170x45mm
125sc and xc10
Kasumi finish

I don’t fool myself that it will be five times more effective as a tool than some alternatives. But I know myself well enough to recognize that I will enjoy it five times as much every time I use it.

managed to track down a Raquin
What haven’t you managed to track down? Your the BST bandit, giving JML a run for his money.

Looks like you picked up quite a few beauties in a short period of time!

To offer some closure to this thread, I managed to track down a Raquin honesuki:

View attachment 165984
170x45mm
125sc and xc10
Kasumi finish

I don’t fool myself that it will be five times more effective as a tool than some alternatives. But I know myself well enough to recognize that I will enjoy it five times as much every time I use it.
Very nice piece!

Back