Hook and S-ground knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently switched over to belt sanders from stone sharpening
and always questioned how do people get those s grinds or even hooks on the knife. Do I need additional equipment or special technique? I know i won't even attempt such a high level task but always wondered. Thanks kkf!

Get a big wheel or radius platten and a blade blank
Then start to hollow out the moddle
2D444157-B811-432D-98BE-FB48E119CB09.jpeg

Here a 12” wheel is being ised

As you grind use thickness gauge to make sure you aren’t going too thin, you don’t want to break through the middle.
Once you have it where you want it then add in the edge bevel of the preferred geometry
73C66BD1-5D0F-4A98-A164-B2831A39D5A5.jpeg

Then once it’s roughed in carry on and tidy all the grinds up so they’re neat and finish as usual.

You can then experiment with placement of the hollow higher or lower, radius, etc

Or you can go hi tech and mill out the recess

Like mentioned above, eather way go for a big contactwheel or a radius platen.
If you ever looking for a radius platen custom made for your machine just sent me message.
I make them in two sizes 14” and 29” radius.

Working on a s-grind myself now aswell with a 12” wheel:
4E11068D-55FD-4D91-9EE3-20803CFECDC2.jpeg

Here is an example of the radius platens i make:
2DCD8C7A-1888-4D02-8566-A378E7E1C703.jpeg
AA7BCC4F-8FF0-4489-A0DC-D587AB419D29.jpeg

S-grinds are really just hollow grinds that don't terminate at the edge. They're cut using a radiused platten, or a large contact wheel. Hook grinds are a little more complicated. See post #307: Food Release: Stiction and the Grind for a demo of how they are made.

it's possible to link directly to a post. copy the link from the date, the post number, the share button, etc.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/food-release-stiction-and-the-grind.35641/post-969121
referring to post numbers is bad because post numbers can change for a variety of reasons. it's also inconvenient to hunt around for a post manually.

Someone was going to sandpaper some concavity into something a few years ago.. I wonder how that turned out.

It’s viable theoretically but seems like a bit of a challenge without a rig or something to maintain consistency.

Someone was going to sandpaper some concavity into something a few years ago.. I wonder how that turned out.

It’s viable theoretically but seems like a bit of a challenge without a rig or something to maintain consistency.

Heh prob a bunch of people have tried that, including me. It works, but it’s slower than using a grinder. IIRC, @RDalman has used (infrequently) an alternative to his usual contact wheel setup, where he has some handheld device to which he can attach EDM stones, and then he manually scrapes in concavity.

You can make a sanding jig for it, but I'd probably just convex some spare low grits stones/work with SiC stones that were already convexed for the heavy lifting.

Heh prob a bunch of people have tried that, including me. It works, but it’s slower than using a grinder. IIRC, @RDalman has used (infrequently) an alternative to his usual contact wheel setup, where he has some handheld device to which he can attach EDM stones, and then he manually scrapes in concavity.
Actually no on that. I used them for finishing after coarse grinding on the grinder only for a while.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back