Hot Take: Does anyone actually use a Nakiri?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait a second... Chicken is a vegetable?

Tsunehisa 2.jpg

Tsunehisa Ginsan

Don’t get me wrong - I have several nakiris. But how many actually notice a truly functional difference vs. a gyuto / chef’s knife, particularly one with a flat spot in the blade? Sure there is less knife and no tip, and there is the joy of using a different knife, but how many truly find using a Nakiri so much better that it justifies swapping out the knife? To me the lack of tip is actually a very minor annoyance.

Sure, if your only choices are traditional blades like a yanigaba to Deba, then a usaba makes sense. But for double bevels why a nakiri?
A nakiri is a knife born as a cleaver but had it's growth stunted because they wanted to maintain the young look for a 10 seasons of Top Chef.

When did KKF get flooded with all of these vegetarians and pescatarians? You are all committing sacrilege and I will not sit idly by and stand for it.

First they come for your guns, then they come for your pointy tipped knives. Nakiris are an abomination to the cutlery world.

"But Chef Doom...don't you own a Cleaver?"

I'm glad you asked. You see, when I was watching the movie Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, there was a scene where Bruce was flirting with a girl that the head chef was interested in. So the entire kitchen squad grabbed their Chinese Cleavers and went after Bruce.

Guess what happened? Bruce Lee RAN! No flashy moves. No side kicks of death. He got the hell out of their and never returned for work.

So now, if someone breaks into my home, first thing I'm grabbing is the cleaver, the ultimate CHEF weapon of DOOM!

Many self reported self-defense gurus have come to the conclusion that a knife is not a deterrent, it's an escalator. "My life is in danger, but I still want to mug you". But if you pull out a Chinese Cleaver, they will think "Thise guy is crazy, lets get out of here" 🤣

When did KKF get flooded with all of these vegetarians and pescatarians? You are all committing sacrilege and I will not sit idly by and stand for it.

First they come for your guns, then they come for your pointy tipped knives. Nakiris are an abomination to the cutlery world.

"But Chef Doom...don't you own a Cleaver?"

I'm glad you asked. You see, when I was watching the movie Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, there was a scene where Bruce was flirting with a girl that the head chef was interested in. So the entire kitchen squad grabbed their Chinese Cleavers and went after Bruce.

Guess what happened? Bruce Lee RAN! No flashy moves. No side kicks of death. He got the hell out of their and never returned for work.

So now, if someone breaks into my home, first thing I'm grabbing is the cleaver, the ultimate CHEF weapon of DOOM!

Many self reported self-defense gurus have come to the conclusion that a knife is not a deterrent, it's an escalator. "My life is in danger, but I still want to mug you". But if you pull out a Chinese Cleaver, they will think "Thise guy is crazy, lets get out of here" 🤣
Now is this a bone cleaver or a veggie cleaver? Would it be more effective deterring the opponent than a good 12 gauge shotgun? Asking for a friend...

I use nakiris all the time. After a gyuto, my most used kind of blade.
Gyutos are definitely more versatile, but i find nakiris easier to dice with.
Not only the balance, but also the height at the "tip" allows for a big higher up and down movement without loosing contact with the directing hand.

Now is this a bone cleaver or a veggie cleaver? Would it be more effective deterring the opponent than a good 12 gauge shotgun? Asking for a friend...
It doesn't matter. Except for those smaller type cleavers, any regular or full size cleaver will get the job done. The key is to make a few wide threatening swipes. A few practice swings will add to the craziness persona.

Pulling out a handheld stone and running a few controlled light-pressure honing swipes along the apex while maintaining eye contact = best practice. If it’s above 3000 grit or a natural stone they’ll know you’re really serious.

Last edited:
Pulling out a handheld stone and running a few controlled light-pressure honing swipes along the apex while maintaining eye contact = best practice. If it’s above 3000 grit or a natural stone they’ll know you’re really serious.
It's all about the presentation.

I do have to say, I find the whole nakiri validity debate amusing in some respects. I see people delving deep into all things Japanese. Gotta have the cutting board, the towels, the green tea whisks, the grills and charcoal, sauce pans, pots, fish scaler, the whole deal as if somehow all things Japanese are superior right down to the Mister Miyagi headband. To be fair, vendors like the heavily overpriced Knifewear love to push this narrative so long as you're buying from them. ;)

But a nakiri??? Nah, nah, gotstabe a 240 gyuto. I mean, ya know, it just, ya know, yeah...better. Now, I'm in no way casting judgment. I'm not. I just find it entertaining that it's the knife itself, which no doubt brought so many of the aforementioned enthusiasts into the game that is the one thing they want Western based.

:)

Yoooo competitive leek farming?!?

Dude. It's Japan. There's probably eight anime shows about it, eleven comic books, three game shows and a discreet sector in Tokyo to indulge your leek farming curiosities. The Japanese tend to like some interesting stuff. Gotta love it! :)

Salaryman’s Club had a plot point about a soda with ginger and scallions in it.

I forgot to mention literally one of the best Nakiris I’ve ever owned is the Shiro Kamo extra tall AO Super Nakiri.

Punches WAYYYY above its price range and is an insane performer. Super crispy steel, crazy thin behind the edge and a perfect height imo.
Also have one of these. First foray into forged knives. Can agree with TL - razor veggie chopper. Finish is not the greatest but it's awesome for what it is!

Back