J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish the retailers would stamp the sides of the stone more often, then it wouldn't be a problem. I love the way the stamps look.

I feel the same way.

I think Maruo stones are typically stamped face + sides and this to me is ideal.

Granted I'm not sure I'll ever sell any of the stones I have left but who knows.

Hoping the forum friends can tell me more about these stones.
I know this stone by the name Boushouto (spelling could certainly be wrong) I first tried one on loan from another member who lives in my area. I really liked his and finally was able to source one of my own.
It is deep purple in color and takes a black iridescent shine when wet. Pretty hard stone so too much pressure will scratch. Light slurry and light pressure and the stone polishes very well. Definitely in my top 5 currently.
Wondering if anyone knows where they come from? Maybe it’s something altogether different from what I think it is?
Thanks

Attachments

• 86AB672C-6DE1-4719-B4DE-EC285FB9B768.jpeg
    86AB672C-6DE1-4719-B4DE-EC285FB9B768.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • E3E5327E-83B4-49C0-987B-2A8D1E2E40E5.jpeg
    E3E5327E-83B4-49C0-987B-2A8D1E2E40E5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 29807018-D9B3-4F88-B8F4-5FBD1EBFD287.jpeg
    29807018-D9B3-4F88-B8F4-5FBD1EBFD287.jpeg
  • E2610821-3CC5-4CED-B209-3FEBA464A01C.jpeg
    E2610821-3CC5-4CED-B209-3FEBA464A01C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 017BFAF1-1E7A-42B5-99BC-B7A6450CBDA9.jpeg
    017BFAF1-1E7A-42B5-99BC-B7A6450CBDA9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • B02EE331-665B-400F-A194-31F4C0D2E338.jpeg
    B02EE331-665B-400F-A194-31F4C0D2E338.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 0FE57C12-A9BB-4E30-922A-2F2BA6F0C530.jpeg
    0FE57C12-A9BB-4E30-922A-2F2BA6F0C530.jpeg
  • 1E4AAE74-C3CB-45EB-AB92-1592FA65AA13.jpeg
    1E4AAE74-C3CB-45EB-AB92-1592FA65AA13.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • ED9CBC64-8854-45EB-9BB7-AC1E0409750C.jpeg
    ED9CBC64-8854-45EB-9BB7-AC1E0409750C.jpeg
    885.9 KB · Views: 0
I know this stone by the name Boushouto (spelling could certainly be wrong) I first tried one on loan from another member who lives in my area. I really liked his and finally was able to source one of my own.
It is deep purple in color and takes a black iridescent shine when wet. Pretty hard stone so too much pressure will scratch. Light slurry and light pressure and the stone polishes very well. Definitely in my top 5 currently.
Wondering if anyone knows where they come from? Maybe it’s something altogether different from what I think it is?
Thanks
Polish looks great. Interested to learn more about this stone myself

@Hassanbensober

I've seen a couple of them on the jp auction but ahaha I've never read more about them

I did see a table that listed almost all the jnats in Japan, their location, and their mineral type, but I can't find the link.

I think something related to kiyond.blogspot but I can't seem to find it again
Thanks for the helpful lead @refcast
Lots of interesting content in there to get sidetracked on. I’m already enjoying it. Hopefully when I have the time I’ll dig it up.

Can anyone give me any info on this stone I found in the wild? For $330AU it was a bit pricey to buy without asking a few experts first.

AD2C2F6E-B242-4EE1-A105-A2681F550E72.jpeg

Karasu club is growing. I'm stoked on the consistently great performance yet wide variety from these stones. From top being razor honing fineness and hardness to bottom being soft enough to produce enough mud for easy polishing. Each stone is definitely different and have merits of their own. All of them are fast and great for a refined edge on a knife, easily hair splitting sharpness yet bitey enough to go through tomato skin..except maybe the top one, it's probably a bit too hard and fine, I haven't tried it for a knife yet actually. May give it a go just to see what it's like. If people would be interested in a more in depth look at all of them then maybe I could do a bit of a write up.
IMG_20221013_120313.jpg

Karasu club is growing. I'm stoked on the consistently great performance yet wide variety from these stones. From top being razor honing fineness and hardness to bottom being soft enough to produce enough mud for easy polishing. Each stone is definitely different and have merits of their own. All of them are fast and great for a refined edge on a knife, easily hair splitting sharpness yet bitey enough to go through tomato skin..except maybe the top one, it's probably a bit too hard and fine, I haven't tried it for a knife yet actually. May give it a go just to see what it's like. If people would be interested in a more in depth look at all of them then maybe I could do a bit of a write up. View attachment 203015

I'm definitely interested in a writeup.

Finally moved the last stragglers from my "yard sales" and figured I'd share a collection update. Not the biggest or most impressive in these parts, but I've yet to encounter a polishing or edge* problem that this lineup can't handle. I used to obsessively check here and elsewhere for new stone listings and always coveted the next new stone, but I think it's been a month now since I even check yahoo.jp, so guess I've acquired all I need (famous last words).
IMG_3115.jpg

1. Natsuya - Sun Tiger brand, very hard and great at burnishing
  2. Aizu - classic Aizu, huge too
  3. Otawayama? iromono - the softest stone I've ever used
  4. Maruo Kuro Renge - my workhorse suita, had to re-glue the corner after I dropped it once, but still works the same
  5. PA stone from @musicman980 - best mirror I've ever seen off a stone
  6. Ohira uchigumori - silly soft and excellent for honyaki
  7. Ohira uchigumori - double sided hato / jito stone also from @musicman980
  8. Ohira uchigumori
  9. Ohira uchigumori
  10. Ohira uchigumori - just absurdly hard, great for revealing fine details; also my first natural stone
  11. Ohira Ao Renge
  12. Ohira renge sunashi suita
  13. Nakayama Suita Maruka - the bees knees
  14. Nakayama Asagi - not as hard as you probably think, excellent for very, very high refinement polishes and uraoshi
  15. Nakayama Iromono
*notable omission is a yet to be received coti / BBW for edge work sourced through @cotedupy

Finally moved the last stragglers from my "yard sales" and figured I'd share a collection update. Not the biggest or most impressive in these parts, but I've yet to encounter a polishing or edge* problem that this lineup can't handle. I used to obsessively check here and elsewhere for new stone listings and always coveted the next new stone, but I think it's been a month now since I even check yahoo.jp, so guess I've acquired all I need (famous last words).
View attachment 205318
  1. Natsuya - Sun Tiger brand, very hard and great at burnishing
  2. Aizu - classic Aizu, huge too
  3. Otawayama? iromono - the softest stone I've ever used
  4. Maruo Kuro Renge - my workhorse suita, had to re-glue the corner after I dropped it once, but still works the same
  5. PA stone from @musicman980 - best mirror I've ever seen off a stone
  6. Ohira uchigumori - silly soft and excellent for honyaki
  7. Ohira uchigumori - double sided hato / jito stone also from @musicman980
  8. Ohira uchigumori
  9. Ohira uchigumori
  10. Ohira uchigumori - just absurdly hard, great for revealing fine details; also my first natural stone
  11. Ohira Ao Renge
  12. Ohira renge sunashi suita
  13. Nakayama Suita Maruka - the bees knees
  14. Nakayama Asagi - not as hard as you probably think, excellent for very, very high refinement polishes and uraoshi
  15. Nakayama Iromono
*notable omission is a yet to be received coti / BBW for edge work sourced through @cotedupy

Obviously I immediately slightly regretted offering you that utterly stunning coti, but seeing this post makes me feel very much happier about it. I'm glad I could find something worthy of such elevated, and meticulously curated company! :)

Last edited:
Can anyone give me any info on this stone I found in the wild? For $330AU it was a bit pricey to buy without asking a few experts first.

View attachment 202684
The tag translates the kanji perfectly. How's the finish and sharpening feel?

Other than the stamps and description, I'd say give it a go and see if it fits your use. Price could be a steal if it performs well.

Been getting more into razor honing lately, recently got this unknown stone which I'm quite fond of so cleaned the saw marks off it, then decided I'd try polish the sides.. what an idiot, now I gotta do the rest! On a Lv5 hardness it's gonna take a while haha
IMG_20221201_180517.jpg
IMG_20221201_172140.jpg
IMG_20221201_180601.jpg

Thanks
If its a bushu stone its from Tsushima.

Back