• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Kaiju - $1,800

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually do not think Ivan is the hold up at all on Kaiju. He worked hard to get a process that he could duplicate in volume.

And seeing all the other knives from Tanaka and Myojin that have been continuously released to the market for other brands.. it certainly makes a person wonder what the hold up could be.

I actually do not think Ivan is the hold up at all on Kaiju. He worked hard to get a process that he could duplicate in volume.

And seeing all the other knives from Tanaka and Myojin that have been continuously released to the market for other brands.. it certainly makes a person wonder what the hold up could be.
And the last batch of Thick FMs claimed there would be no more because they dialed in the process for Kaiju

The Kaiju is a lot more rare and harder to come by than a Kato at this point in time. I could have claimed one of the early Kaiju's but didn't thinking there would be time later down the road. A definite miscalculation....again.

Artificially inflated demand obviously.

I got a Kaiju and the “thick” blue 1 FM from Tosho the same day. The blue 1 FM is kinda a baby Kaiju. Bizarre internet ordering luck

i am not sure when they will produce a Kaiju - it just kinda stopped and no news re production

But Tanaka and Myojin both busy and producing knives - perhaps that’s the issue - they have other projects to work on

but I wish I would use the Kaiju more - have not used it, been using mainly the the WH blue 1 FM

I think I paid 650 or so for the Kaiju - what a deal! I mean Mazaki charges 3 times that amount today for some of his fancier knives. Not sure if they can match a Kaiju

I don’t think I am ready to let go yet - have to use it first

I also had a B2 FM "WH". It was actually a little bit more robust than my kaiju- a touch taller and thicker. Not by much, but just a noticeable bit.

Ivan's Instagram seems to show he's actively working, so not so sure about that.
Pretty sure this is the hold up. Trying to do this manually, the 600 dollar price tag always seemed a bargain. You can get almost there, and pretty much functionally identical with a wheel mostly, but to my knowledge its not possible to have that perfect flat and finish on stones without a lot of shoulder sweat.

Well the time has come that I make my offer.

I am willing to pay $2,000 for an unused or lightly used B1 Kaiju. I am of course interested in Kaiju’s in other steels, but my offer will be less depending on steel and condition.

I am aware of what these knives sell for, and I am aware this is an absurd offer, but I’d really like one, and right now, I have more money than Kaiju’s.

If this post is still up, the offer stands.

Located in Canada.

Sincerely and appreciatively,

- Luke
I hope they can solve the production problem one day, even though I know that I don't have the opportunity to get one since the production is so low. but maybe a couple years later I might be able to have it. Before that ill looking at other knives.

I got a Kaiju and the “thick” blue 1 FM from Tosho the same day. The blue 1 FM is kinda a baby Kaiju. Bizarre internet ordering luck

i am not sure when they will produce a Kaiju - it just kinda stopped and no news re production

But Tanaka and Myojin both busy and producing knives - perhaps that’s the issue - they have other projects to work on

but I wish I would use the Kaiju more - have not used it, been using mainly the the WH blue 1 FM

I think I paid 650 or so for the Kaiju - what a deal! I mean Mazaki charges 3 times that amount today for some of his fancier knives. Not sure if they can match a Kaiju

I don’t think I am ready to let go yet - have to use it first
It was a knife that wasn't sell as Kaiju because the Kasumi finish wasn't there complete on both sides, is this the one?

TBH, I’m actually delighted that Kaiju gyutos are rare—kinda hope they’ll never be produced again. From a collecting perspective, it keeps the ones made coveted by their owners; more of an emotional ride for those (me) who missed out; rarity will increase their valuation, which is how it should be—the market decides if a knife is overpriced. It would be a bore if Kaiju gyutos were plentiful, and everyone had one—owning a particular knife isn’t an inalienable right—Kaijus aren’t a kitchen essential, there’re heaps of other wonderful, great performing gyutos being produced.

Glad I got my Kato and Shig when they were at the $550–600 price point. There’re a bunch of knives I’ve subsequently missed the boat on—many regrets, but it keeps the desire alive.

Collector life.

I think when you have been unsuccessful in purchasing something, you are supposed to up your price, however I am actually going to be lowering my offer. With the upcoming massdrop very likely being quite kaiju like, I’m actually more interested in acquiring one of those now.

So even though I have been offered Kaiju’s for $3,500, $5,000 and $8,000, I will be lowering my offer to $1800 today, and likely to $1500 when the massdrop goes out and suddenly everyone here has a knife very similar to the kaiju and the specs of the kaiju are no longer that unique.

I will try to edit the title to reflect my new offer, if not I’ll just put it here:

Updated offer: $1800

Ivan is not the hold up.
Artificially inflated demand obviously.
Interesting but....please explain how that helps anyone other than the few that currently own them. We are not talking cars, art or computers. This artificial demand thing makes no sense in this instance. Plus they are beyond delayed...they are unobtainable, so I cannot see one reason they would do this…to inflate demand? Then what? Put up the price? That is not the way Konosuke has ever operated. Even their dealers dont play these game as far as I am aware. Ask the OP, he couldn't get Konosuke or any dealer to sell him a knife even at an inflated price. I think you are making suppositions and calling them obvious. It is far from obvious to me and in chatting with the guys at Konosuke it is certainly not obvious them ;-) Aloha!

Ivan is not the hold up.

Interesting but....please explain how that helps anyone other than the few that currently own them. We are not talking cars, art or computers. This artificial demand thing makes no sense in this instance. Plus they are beyond delayed...they are unobtainable, so I cannot see one reason they would do this…to inflate demand? Then what? Put up the price? That is not the way Konosuke has ever operated. Even their dealers dont play these game as far as I am aware. Ask the OP, he couldn't get Konosuke or any dealer to sell him a knife even at an inflated price. I think you are making suppositions and calling them obvious. It is far from obvious to me and in chatting with the guys at Konosuke it is certainly not obvious them ;-) Aloha!

you seem to know what the problems aren't. do you know what the problem is? just curious.

Got some real gougers here
It’s honestly blowing my mind. I’m the new guy here in the community so I do my best to watch what I say and just get a feel for things, but it’s really not what I expected.

In the BST, everyone is awesome! Really fair prices, good people, it feels like a community. The DM’s is a crazy place though. I’ll watch a guy in the BST be like, “just trying to get back what I paid for it. I know it’s worth more but I feel like it’s fair.” Then in the DM’s that same guy is like “look bud, I won’t let this go for anything less than 8k. BNIB you won’t get any better”. I’m not saying I’m right or anything, but it’s more like an investment forum than a kitchen knife forum. When I messaged someone and asked how the knife compared to another one, they sent a laughing emoji and said they’d never used it.

I get that I’m the weird one here, I’m not saying anything is wrong, it’s just not what I expected. The number of people not using their knives with the prospect of selling them for literally 10x the price a couple years later is crazy.

And the prices don’t make any sense. To me that is. Once again I want to say I’m not saying this is fact and not trying to insult anybody or the community, but I don’t understand the prices. I just messaged Yanick and bought a full kasumi damascus 315mm yanagiba for $1850. Arrived within a month. Just got a Nick Anger Sujihiki with Jason Morrissey damascus for $1800. I wouldn’t trade either of those for 3 Kaiju. Not a chance. You can get a Honyaki Ashi for $5000, why is a Kaiju worth 8k?!?! Both the smiths are alive and well and intend to make more. Plus with the massdrop coming out?

I get that I’m the new guy here and extremely ignorant on these matters, but I don’t get it. Not trying to say the forum or the people suck, it’s just that my initial impression has been very different than I expected.

I get that I’m the new guy here and extremely ignorant on these matters, but I don’t get it. Not trying to say the forum or the people suck, it’s just that my initial impression has been very different than I expected.
I think there are two things going on here. There’s a subset of the forum, and some founding ethics that are cooks chefs craftsman and enthusiastic hobbyists. These people don’t care very much about the money, they care about the craft and looking for new horizons in it. And that could be the knives them selves or the cooking that they allow. That culture and history informs the public sales forum. In addition anything done in public is subject to scrutiny. I think it’s one of the reasons why you generally want as much communication, especially official communication, to be as public as possible. You can do a lot of shady things in back alleys. So the public versus private conversation debate is always a thing. I have paid way way too much for some items that I have sought out on my own, but nothing to the scale that you described. When you try to buy things that are not already for sale, there’s always that premium, but of course you knew that going in and were very open about it.

Second part is that some people just suck. Some people are just highly motivated by making a sale, getting a deal, and scaring people over. I work with a guy like that and I wish him know and the bad things and the rest of his life and Some people are just highly motivated by making a sale, getting a deal, and screwing people over, often for the satisfaction of just maximizing a transaction for its own sake. That's an attitude that I’ve never understood at all.

in other news I absolutely love the huge new board you posted recently. It’s such a beautiful use of wood grain, and pattern it’s just A+. Absolutely love it.

I think the answer to the question is right in your original post, you’re willing to pay three times the amount of the original retail price for a knife.

You have people come through with money that are willing to throw as much money around as needed in order to get the knife they want instantly instead of waiting around or commissioning a custom knife that would be much cheaper/better and incredibly similar.

So these types of buyers drive up the prices of knives constantly that used to be multiple times cheaper than what they are now.

That then brings in a lot of collectors, you have to think we’re talking about small little pieces of metal worth up to $5000 or more. If someone is paying that much money for a knife there’s a good chance they’re never going to use it.

But that’s just simply the market, you have demand and supply it appears for these knives that the supply is very small with the demand being very high.

I think the answer to the question is right in your original post, you’re willing to pay three times the amount of the original retail price for a knife.

You have people come through with money that are willing to throw as much money around as needed in order to get the knife they want instantly instead of waiting around or commissioning a custom knife that would be much cheaper/better and incredibly similar.

So these types of buyers drive up the prices of knives constantly that used to be multiple times cheaper than what they are now.

That then brings in a lot of collectors, you have to think we’re talking about small little pieces of metal worth up to $5000 or more. If someone is paying that much money for a knife there’s a good chance they’re never going to use it.

But that’s just simply the market, you have demand and supply it appears for these knives that the supply is very small with the demand being very high.
That makes a lot of sense. I completely agree that I brought it on myself. I was fully expecting people to say they’d sell theirs for like 3k as a counter offer. 5 and 8 just blew my mind though.

As for not using it I guess that’s just a personal thing. No matter what I buy, I’m gonna use it and enjoy it. Otherwise I’m not buying it. That’s not a right or wrong matter though. For some people it’s art, for others it’s a tool. I’m just coming at it from a perspective of “kitchen knives are meant to be used” and am a little surprised by the number of people who just appreciate them for their looks. Again, not wrong, just not what I was expecting

Back