Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it’s seems some sneaky peeps discovered the hidden section on our site which we set up for the presale of the second batch. The link was actually given privately via email to those who responded via email to initial notification.

Also mentioned in that email was the fact that this second batch won’t be delivered until late December or more likely January.

I hope that everyone who emailed me managed to get what they wanted and to those who found and shared the link and managed to secure one of the second batch knives good for you 😉👍🏻

As previously mentioned this is the last 10 knives, Fredrik may produce one or two more than 10 in case of failures, but otherwise that’s all folks.

Thanks everyone! I have been seriously loving the one I kept for myself. Very nice profile, I hope you all feel the same when you receive your orders.

I'll admit to not having had a chance to put my name on the list and a kind member sent me the 230 link. Really was a no brainer to get one. I've been watching Fredrik's for a while and am excited to snag one.

I'll admit to not having had a chance to put my name on the list and a kind member sent me the 230 link. Really was a no brainer to get one. I've been watching Fredrik's for a while and am excited to snag one.

I didn't know anything about a list, I just did a search on the moderncooking site first thing this morning and they came up, I couldn't figure out why they didn't come up when browsing.

Mr Bear, wrote to me privately about the confusion on this.

I just want to say that I think we managed to get everyone what they wanted. We are very happy with how things worked out. The feedback has been very positive

The designs for the next version are already underway and we can't wait to read the feedback on this first release, once they are delivered.

Thank you to all the KKF members for your support, enthusiasm and feedback. Fredrik and I feel blessed 🙏

Can I call dibs on an extra if there are any?!

Hey G, due to the situation with the leaked link I am doubtful that we will have any extras left now.

I can say that Fredrik and I are working on a new version and they will be released in January if everything goes to plan.

Naturally, it will be unique and different from this release, but it will share a similar price point. So stay tuned ;)

So it’s seems some sneaky peeps discovered the hidden section on our site which we set up for the presale of the second batch. The link was actually given privately via email to those who responded via email to initial notification.

Also mentioned in that email was the fact that this second batch won’t be delivered until late December or more likely January.

I hope that everyone who emailed me managed to get what they wanted and to those who found and shared the link and managed to secure one of the second batch knives good for you 😉👍🏻

As previously mentioned this is the last 10 knives, Fredrik may produce one or two more than 10 in case of failures, but otherwise that’s all folks.

Thanks everyone! I have been seriously loving the one I kept for myself. Very nice profile, I hope you all feel the same when you receive your orders.
So I won’t be receiving this, this week?.. 😅😂

Black week 2021 at cleancut.eu.
When you see what is on sale, it's quite the opposite of the subject of this thread. You wallet is safe for better promotion.
What a shame... they have enough interesting stuff that even a minor 10% off could have pushed me over the edge, but there isn't really anything interesting in their sale.

What a shame... they have enough interesting stuff that even a minor 10% off could have pushed me over the edge, but there isn't really anything interesting in their sale.
It’s only monday. I would be surprised if that was all for the whole week.

I just received the MCX Fredrik Spåre 250mm.
Since a couple of weeks I was about to order a custom Spåre and ask Fredrik to make his own version/interpretation of a Masamoto KS profile, needless to say that I'm very happy of the MCX profile, even if it's not a Masamoto KS in the first half part of the blade, the second half and the tip are exactly what I was looking for. 👍
The hamon is much more visible on this one.
I didn't measure the blade behind the edge but it feels just a tad too thick for my liking.
The handle is very nice but due to its geometry, the botton rounded part protrude a bit too much and the middle finger is compressed between the rounded coil and the brass ferrule. The hexagonal handle of my other Spåre honyaki 220 protrude less and its more confortable. The tang between the coil and the handle should be longer on this MCX.
Untested yet so I can't comment about the reactivity.

I'm glad that I woke up early to buy one at 05:40 AM when there was only 3 250 left. At 06:00 AM they were all gone. I'm also glad for KKF that there was a 2nd batch for more people to enjoy Fredrik's work.

Nice collab peter and this profile is really growing on me. Half Spåre, half (Mazaki) KS. 😍

Last edited:
I just received the MCX Fredrik Spåre 250mm.
Since a couple of weeks I was about to order a custom Spåre and ask Frederik to make his own version/interpretation of a Masamoto KS profile., needless to say that I'm very happy of the MCX profile, even if it's not a Masamoto KS in the first half part of the blade, the second half and the tip are exactly what I was looking for. 👍
The hamon is much more visible on this one.
I didn't measure the blade behind the edge but it feels just a tad too thick for my liking.
The handle is very nice but due to its geometry, the botton rounded part protrude a bit too much and the middle finger is compressed between the rounded coil and the brass ferrule. The hexagonal handle of my other Spåre honyaki 220 protrude less and its more confortable. The tang between the coil and the handle should be longer on this MCX.
Untested yet so I can't comment about the reactivity.

I'm glad that I woke up early to buy one at 05:40 AM when there was only 3 250 left. At 06:00 AM they were all gone. I'm also glad for KKF that there was a 2nd batch for more people to enjoy Fredrik's work.

Nice collab peter and this profile his really growing on me. Half Spåre, half (Mazaki) KS. 😍

Thanks H, you are the second person to report back and the second to comment on the length of the tang. I agree they could benefit from 3mm-5mm of extra space between the bolster and the choil.

Regarding the behind the edge thickness, we wanted to strike a balance between a laser geometry and a workhorse. I was hoping that by adding some height to the classic KS profile we would have the height to taper down dramatically and have it super thin behind the edge, with a decent spine thickness. Personally, I am pretty happy with mine(230mm), but I think there is room for some customisation on your part.

Regarding the reactivity, I am already seeing some lovely blue / purple hues on my blade.

IMG_5657.JPG
IMG_5658.JPG

Anyone else find all the Späre talk to be disingenuously hypey?

Hey @JakeLoveshighCarbon sorry if its all getting too much. I am not sure if this is disingenuous or hypey. Personally, I would hope for genuine and excited, but I can understand if it is becoming a frustration having so much discussion around MCX here. Perhaps a new thread should be created for those who are interested to continue the discussion.

I have to admit that I am very much an amateur when it comes to forums and I am not sure if this is an appropriate suggestion or how I would even go about doing that, but apologies if its getting annoying.

Only the best intentions intended 🙏

Hey @JakeLoveshighCarbon sorry if its all getting too much. I am not sure if this is disingenuous or hypey. Personally, I would hope for genuine and excited, but I can understand if it is becoming a frustration having so much discussion around MCX here. Perhaps a new thread should be created for those who are interested to continue the discussion.

I have to admit that I am very much an amateur when it comes to forums and I am not sure if this is an appropriate suggestion or how I would even go about doing that, but apologies if its getting annoying.

Only the best intentions intended 🙏
I am glad to see you doing this. I actually saw those the day prior to being announced on the forum and wish I would have got one. When I decided to get one they were gone. I think the pricing is fantastic and gives me an option that I would not have known about otherwise. I sincerely hope you keep the MCX series up and hope we have continued conversations with you about what we are looking for in knives. As a side note your responses and timeliness both here and Instagram are very much appreciated.

Well, I can say I wasn't trying to create a hype train when I posted the original batch. I had seen a few positive mentions of Spare's work here and on Reddit, thought the examples I'd seen looked promising, and then saw a preview of the MCX batch on his IG. Since the 230s were pretty close to my preferred specs (230x52, strong taper, convex midweight grind) I figured they were worth rolling the dice on at this price point, and that others here might be looking for similar specs or just want to try a honyaki for sub $400.

Anyway, I'm excited to try mine but aware that it might not be all that and a bag of chips. I intend to post a review and do a side by side performance comparison with a Kippington, which in my book is a pretty high bar for performance.

Well, I can say I wasn't trying to create a hype train when I posted the original batch. I had seen a few positive mentions of Spare's work here and on Reddit, thought the examples I'd seen looked promising, and then saw a preview of the MCX batch on his IG. Since the 230s were pretty close to my preferred specs (230x52, strong taper, convex midweight grind) I figured they were worth rolling the dice on at this price point, and that others here might be looking for similar specs or just want to try a honyaki for sub $400.

Anyway, I'm excited to try mine but aware that it might not be all that and a bag of chips. I intend to post a review and do a side by side performance comparison with a Kippington, which in my book is a pretty high bar for performance.
Very very hard task when being compared with a Kippington. Can't wait to read your thoughts.

Cheers!

I am glad to see you doing this. I actually saw those the day prior to being announced on the forum and wish I would have got one. When I decided to get one they were gone. I think the pricing is fantastic and gives me an option that I would not have known about otherwise. I sincerely hope you keep the MCX series up and hope we have continued conversations with you about what we are looking for in knives. As a side note your responses and timeliness both here and Instagram are very much appreciated.

Thanks Matt, that is very kind of you to say. I really appreciate it. I try my best and MCX is here for the long run. Hopefully, Fredrik and I will continue to impress and I am also hoping to bring options produced by other makers. Although, I can't say that they will always be at this price point. 🙏 👍

Looking forward to that!

~$350 for a differentially hardened honyaki from a custom Western maker? That seems worth a little excitement to me. Genuinely curious what you think is disingenuous - is it because the retailer is participating in the discussion? I view it as akin to an open small-scale massdrop except via a retailer, actually.

The usual caveat emptor rules apply of course. It’s either a failing or wisdom on my part that I completely ignore caveat emptor when people on this thread say something is a great deal - I proceed immediately to the “buy it now” button 🤣

On another note, I think it’s a great idea for Spare fans or anyone with one to start a “Spare impressions” thread similar to the Myojin thread. Maybe @tally-ho can start one once he’s played with his a little more and he’s ready to post more detailed impressions.

November sale @ JNS

So this year I will not add discount on all Items that is in store !
I add some limited discounts in our store !
This Year November discount
Up to 20 %
In Nov Sale section
Items will be added there from today 25 November to 29 November with different amount of discount and random items many times a day.

Back