Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother in christ if you think Tanaka white 2 has spectacular edge retention.......idk what to say. You need to try some more knives 🤣
I think my Fujiyama white 2 cleaver is a spectacular knife, but edge retention is definitely not it’s strong suit. Can not argue it has low edge retention in the world of high end knives. I wouldn’t say it’s crappy steel though. That sort of makes it sound like Tanaka did a bad job with it. It’s just white 2, which usually is on the lower end of the spectrum for edge retention. It’s a breeze to cleanly sharpen and touch up.

TBH given the little difference between White 1 and 2, 1095 or 26C3, there simply shouldn’t be any real difference if given similar heat treatment, but I the 1095 from Mert does last noticeably longer than my Tanaka white 2, same with another White 1 knife. I still feel Wakui’s white 2 last longer, tho not as long as Mert’s 1095.
My 1095 from Felipe seemsto hold an edge quite well on first impression.

What I would do for the Wave nashiji or KU (1st and 4th from the left). Any word where or how they’ll be available?
I’d be happy with any. They will probably go to Modern Cooking or Eating tools if I had to guess

20% off everything for today only (UK time, presumably) at Kitchen Provisions

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 12.35.53 PM.png

New knives have dropped at Chef’s Edge

https://www.chefs-edge.com/collections/april-release?sort_by=price-descending
Interesting to see Kyohei Shindo knives being paired with fancy handles and priced accordingly. (And selling out very quickly too!)

Also for anyone looking, those tall Hado blue 1 damascus gyutos have been restocked.
Still a screaming deal at that pricepoint, IMO; the 210 I picked up came nail flexing all along the edge. The basic keyaki handle with a plastic ferrule and open gap round the tang is right out, but 217mmx49mm, 156g, 5mm at the handle with serious distal taper and the previously mentioned grind? 🔥

God that thing is hot. I have one suji on order though, and I know I'll only use that once in a blue moon too so doesn't make a ton of sense for me to get two. Usually you see RWL ran around 60-62, so that's hard af from mert.

Last edited:
The only thing that is holding me back is I really need a lefty yanagi. So, that purchase has to come before a suji

Latest posts

Back