Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn I am so jealous. Feel like that being a whole 12 hours off thing kinda boned me
Luckily I was up at 5 am and saw the post. I messaged him about the timing. I was a bit nervous because he told me it was first come first serve previously. Not sure how he decided to chose after the timing mishap. Maybe he’ll keep/roll-over some names for the next time it opens??

Luckily I was up at 5 am and saw the post. I messaged him about the timing. I was a bit nervous because he told me it was first come first serve previously. Not sure how he decided to chose after the timing mishap. Maybe he’ll keep/roll-over some names for the next time it opens??
That would be nice. I had emailed him maybe a month prior and asked when he was opening his list. Then it comes time, have my reminder set etc…🙃

Sukenari is doing VG Xeos too

I’m more of a zdp-189 person, the sustain is amazing and barely have to worry about rusting. This is definitely one of the most used knife in my kitchen.
8E896634-4F7C-45FE-B016-34D7285CA322.jpeg
7484EE44-12D4-455E-A8BD-D417A6790C6D.jpeg

Looks like spare had a drop. Still a nice 220 Damascus gyuto left.
Edit: and a 170 nakiri

https://www.spareknives.com/products
Looking at his prices, that’s the last thing he want to think about.

“2800? Nah…. that’s not enough. Make it 4000.”

“Eh. 4000 is too much. Make it 2800.”

(Yes. I see the 5000. Leave me alone.)

I hinted at the potential price to Milan and he even hasn't figured out the estimated cost yet besides "very expensive"

betting maybe 2k at least
I think I might just wait to do a custom with Milan rather than trying for this one to be honest. There'll be the retail markup in addition to customs fees (assuming that MC marks the postage full value) so it'll be a chunk of change and then some to snag.

I think I might just wait to do a custom with Milan rather than trying for this one to be honest. There'll be the retail markup in addition to customs fees (assuming that MC marks the postage full value) so it'll be a chunk of change and then some to snag.
Oh MC definitely declares full value on postage. Ask me how I know.

Does country of origin matter? Because I got a knife from Japan via DHL that was well over $800 and was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't hit with customs fees.
That is a good question to think about, have never once received customs fee when shipping and traveling with stones knives back and forth in Japan and China, although when I face towards shipping internationally, when I put on insurance it kinda reveals how much they are worth which applied customs on it. So I believe not only the country of origin is accounted for, also whether the transport agency is aware of the cost of your knife is important.

Are people constantly getting hit with customs fees? Without oversharing I haven't see that be a consistent thing?
Only got hit by customs twice. Once from Canada, private sale, insured for $1,000, cost me an extra $70ish. The other direct from a maker in Germany via DHL. Purchase price was around $900, extra fees to clear customs was about $90. I've had a couple come from Japan and never had any fees tacked on upon arrival.

Only got hit by customs twice. Once from Canada, private sale, insured for $1,000, cost me an extra $70ish. The other direct from a maker in Germany via DHL. Purchase price was around $900, extra fees to clear customs was about $90. I've had a couple come from Japan and never had any fees tacked on upon arrival.
That’s great - you can expect to pay 25-30% on top of the sale price here.

In EU getting hit by customs is not consistent, is a certainty. With Dhl hitting harder than it should, don't know if it's even legal lol. It's not even an option for me to import something through DHL

Back