Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will add minor corrections
Toyama do not make all Watanabe blades, mostly Pro line, special and some low end blades he get from other blacksmiths

As for stones I use long and very flat stones so all low spots on the blade will be removed from big wheel etc as it is double bevel knife it will ofc not have crisp shinogi but it will have very nice hamaguriba from spine to the bevel
Really tempted to get a wat pro nakiri. I've got far too many gyuto, wanna get a first rectangular knife.

I tend to like my 210 more than 240 due to the lower weight hence the nimbleness. I appreciate that nakiri is gonna be far heavier, and so logically I thought a 165 would suit me better, but I'm worried that I'm gonna hate it being too short. Furthermore, everyone on kkf lean towards the 180 as well, and Watanabe says it'll suit people over 170cm, I'm 6 feet.

With your extensive collection and knowledge about wat/toyoma, would really be grateful to hear your thoughts please, thanks.

Really tempted to get a wat pro nakiri. I've got far too many gyuto, wanna get a first rectangular knife.

I tend to like my 210 more than 240 due to the lower weight hence the nimbleness. I appreciate that nakiri is gonna be far heavier, and so logically I thought a 165 would suit me better, but I'm worried that I'm gonna hate it being too short. Furthermore, everyone on kkf lean towards the 180 as well, and Watanabe says it'll suit people over 170cm, I'm 6 feet.

With your extensive collection and knowledge about wat/toyoma, would really be grateful to hear your thoughts please, thanks.
if you enjoy the nimbleness of 210 gyutos, I don’t think you’d be disappointed with a 165 nakiri. It’s the size I enjoy the most, precisely because it feels more nimble and not as forward heavy as larger nakiris. Also, Watoyama nakiri are taller than most, so a 165 will feel a bit bigger than other 165s

My wat 165mm is 53mm heigh and weighs 181g with an enju+horn handle. The cutting edge is 158mm. One reason I went 165 is it came with the enju handle and that cost extra money on the 180. I like the enju handle.

I see he has polished 180 nakiris in stock now in addition to kurouchi.

My wat 165mm is 53mm heigh and weighs 181g with an enju+horn handle. The cutting edge is 158mm. One reason I went 165 is it came with the enju handle and that cost extra money on the 180. I like the enju handle.

I see he has polished 180 nakiris in stock now in addition to kurouchi.
I'm probably going to go with the kurochi, hopefully food release will be better than the polished

Omg I callled carbon knife yesterday and spoke with someone about this Tanaka HITOHIRA Kyuzo..!! .. I was fully loaded and ready to pull the trigger on it ..! But as always I was a day late and a dollar 💵 short..!
This knife is amazing 🤩..! I have both togashi HITOHIRA knives ..! One white and one blue steel and they are both amazing..! Kenji toghishi his sharogami 1 is razor sharp..! I cut chives so fast with it all that they fly into the air because they are so thin like hair ..! It’s absolutely amazing 🤩..!
One day I will be able to see the force of nature on those HITOHIRA Yoshikazu Tanaka Kyuzo blades ..!

Omg I callled carbon knife yesterday and spoke with someone about this Tanaka HITOHIRA Kyuzo..!! .. I was fully loaded and ready to pull the trigger on it ..! But as always I was a day late and a dollar 💵 short..!
This knife is amazing 🤩..! I have both togashi HITOHIRA knives ..! One white and one blue steel and they are both amazing..! Kenji toghishi his sharogami 1 is razor sharp..! I cut chives so fast with it all that they fly into the air because they are so thin like hair ..! It’s absolutely amazing 🤩..!
One day I will be able to see the force of nature on those HITOHIRA Yoshikazu Tanaka Kyuzo blades ..!
There's a nakiri in BTS

Here to save the day for you again philly, this is the same knife, a bit cheaper though. Tangetsu 240mm Blue #1 Suminagashi Wa-Gyuto

Asahi synthetic handles. I'm not sure what to make of these. It's got the weight of a very dense or stabilized wood, but the look is not my cup o tea. Anyone wanna buy one and report back?
https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/col...asahi-synthetic-handle?variant=40354932850754
Love my Asahi board, don’t know if I want an Asahi handle. In terms of practicality though, I think it would work well in a pro kitchen. Waterproof, pretty hard and durable, decent grippiness and you can sand it down easily if it starts looking a little dirty.

Latest posts

Back