Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's soft yet also chippy when appropriately thin behind the edge. What’s to like in the real world? Sure it sharpens nicely and is fun to play with and cut curlies from paper towel, but as a daily driver in a kitchen? Nah. I can see the argument for it in razors / sashimi knives but that’s it.

Hey now, we’re talking steel not grinds here… I’ll hand you that Takeda makes some duds in the grind department - no doubt. But as far as steel goes I much prefer his AS to TFs. A smidge less hard, but still takes a ferocious edge, holds it well, and can take tons of hard use on poly boards and never chip even at very nail flexy geometry. TF is maybe a bit better for cutting toilet paper for Instagram likes, but I know who I’d rather HT my blade for the kitchen between the two.

I’ve yet to find a Kato with steel I thought better than middling. One of the several I’ve sharpened I’d go so far as to say the HT was flawed - horrifically chippy, even when fairly thick behind the edge to my standards, and the steel lost all bite when taken north of 2k.

Birgerrssons taco trounces these. Its very hard, has great retention, cuts well at both 500 grit and off the finest natural stones, doesn’t have issues with chipping (micro or macro) even at absurdly nail flexing geometry BTE. Little glassy on stones sometimes, but small price to pay for superior performance.
Never had any issues with Kato steel. Very good heat treat and used plenty of his knives in my kitchen. Not sure what you are talking about.
But to be honest sharpening edge to bend on a nail is not my ideea of sharpness especially on the geometry which kato and other japanese smiths employ( these are rigid blades). Also they are not made of super steels after all they are just made of carbon steels and shoud avoid very acute sharpening angles if possible go for a microbevel like most japanese do.

Looks like a TF kind of bolster job, of a general stance... looks awkward but might feel smooth and nicely integrating blade to handle for a rather sloppy job. However there's a clear indicator of TF being an integral blade at least. whereas these Greenfield look like soldered on.
Looks nothing like TF bolster. TF bolsters look like most all other j westerns with the exception being they’re usually uneven and appear to be scraped up by a file or something lol

Well, on the contrary it looks like it in that of a job it is clearly focused mostly in the smoothing of the slope to blade rather than in making a seamless bolster integration. With the very same kind of clearer streaks patterns all along the slope. Looks like dumbass smoothing but if balance is anything as right as a TF yo then it won’t feel like it. But if grip is on the bolster, then I suspect TF half-ass rounding the sharp angles would feel better.

Looks like a TF kind of bolster job, of a general stance... looks awkward but might feel smooth and nicely integrating blade to handle for a rather sloppy job. However there's a clear indicator of TF being an integral blade at least. whereas these Greenfield look like soldered on.
Based on what I'm seeing I imagine this is going to feel quite different to the TF welded ferrule. Despite the half arse finishing the TF handle ferrule combo just 'disappears' in hand.

Last edited:
Looks like he changed the normal profiles on his stuff to more of a dropped tip. Look good
No complaints here either re profile although I would prefer to see G10 liners between scales and tang. Could be some gaps there for water infiltration.

Boy, memory of the pink shig handle haunts! 🤣
You would like to own something similar? 😉Try this advent calendar today and you may be the lucky winner.😵‍💫
IMG_20231203_111916.jpg

Thanks. I snagged the last 210 at KNS. how have you liked it so far?
I...didn't love it. Was too thick BTE and wedgey. Thinning helped but it was before my workhorse phase really kicked in so I sold instead of tuning more. Good steel and I liked the profile, at least from a flat spot perspective. The 2023 KU as goldilocks though.

Back