Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was excited because I thought these were from Doi, whose work I like a lot.

However they are billed as coming from young craftsmen, so that excludes Doi-san.

My biases aside, they’re probably excellent blades. White 2 with a good heat treatment is a simple pleasure imo.
Looks pretty fun honestly, only 210 tho

Sold out, I know … but I have never seen anything like this Damascus.

https://eatingtools.com/products/silver-antler-hibiscus-chef-255mm

1711643088171.jpeg

so much no.

Aren’t these the “we sell spatulas to trophy spouses” cats?
The very same.

This copy is killing me, tactically, with the Barracuda™ partial serration. I mean, holy crap. I can't tell if this is intended to be tongue in cheek or serious.

"The TOC is designed to do everything around the campsite: cook, camp chores, or fend off bandits if the need arises. The CPM S35VN particle metallurgy, super-steel has the perfect balance of hardness and toughness for the task at hand. The Barracuda™ partial serration assures effortless slicing whether it's tomatoes, bread or rope. The .150“ tang provides incredible stability for the keen .015” edge which will slice pronghorn antelope tenderloin into paper thin slices of Cowboy Carpaccio out on the range. The clip point makes the agile tip apt for paring knife duties, yet sturdy enough for critical damage in tactical applications."

The very same.

This copy is killing me, tactically, with the Barracuda™ partial serration. I mean, holy crap. I can't tell if this is intended to be tongue in cheek or serious.

"The TOC is designed to do everything around the campsite: cook, camp chores, or fend off bandits if the need arises. The CPM S35VN particle metallurgy, super-steel has the perfect balance of hardness and toughness for the task at hand. The Barracuda™ partial serration assures effortless slicing whether it's tomatoes, bread or rope. The .150“ tang provides incredible stability for the keen .015” edge which will slice pronghorn antelope tenderloin into paper thin slices of Cowboy Carpaccio out on the range. The clip point makes the agile tip apt for paring knife duties, yet sturdy enough for critical damage in tactical applications."
It looks like a jack-of-no-trades knife. Even this Benchmade monstrosity looks more usable.

1711648053761.jpeg

I can double check for you tomorrow, but I’m pretty sure those XL Nakiri are A2 core, not AS.

Whichever way, the short answer is - the steel itself performs pretty much exactly the same as any of the other [however many] fancy knives out there made from Takefu lam Aogami.

The grinds are usually very thin bte, with basically no bevel convexity.

(The above doesn’t necessarily apply to all of the BF special editions though. Which are made from a variety of different steels and claddings, with different forging and grinding styles depending on the steel and type of knife).
I stand corrected. Bernal are saying these were supplied as AS as per BF. That is a darn good deal if true.

No hate, but I personally find mosaic Damascus to be soulless. The geometric nature lends to too much predictability, and I lose interest in the patterns immediately. Random damascus, or a flowing damascus pattern hold much more visual interest imo.
I sort of agree. Feather Damascus is lovely. Random a la Del Ealy is a yawn.

No hate, but I personally find mosaic Damascus to be soulless. The geometric nature lends to too much predictability, and I lose interest in the patterns immediately. Random damascus, or a flowing damascus pattern hold much more visual interest imo.

I am gobsmacked by the sharp corners in the layers. It’s a fascinating break from the usual flowing patterns. It’s quite unlike any mosaic damascus I’ve seen so far.

I take more issue with the handle. Staghorn, just eewww.

I am gobsmacked by the sharp corners in the layers. It’s a fascinating break from the usual flowing patterns. It’s quite unlike any mosaic damascus I’ve seen so far.

I take more issue with the handle. Staghorn, just eewww.

Oh I like stag handles and slabs just fine but I despise most all damascus. I find it ranges from gaudy to downright silly.

Personal preference of course.

Oh I like stag handles and slabs just fine but I despise most all damascus. I find it ranges from gaudy to downright silly.

Personal preference of course.
It's just different. It's often more like artistic expression on a knife as the canvas than a tool focused on use. It's cool and often a signal of high skill if done well. The fact that the collectors of it is a distinct set from the collectors of other types of kitchen knives makes sense to me. It's like people who are into classic American cars vs highly tuned Japanese cars. They're both cars but completely different appeal. Each to their own (as you said).

I think engraved knives might be slightly underrated. Some of the ones on Watanabes site are pretty cool. Cost quite a bit of extra coin though.
Who doesn’t want a knife with a dragon tattoo?
Me. I look at the engraved knives at Hocho and am like, just no.

The only place I’m down with the engraver’s art is on an English sidelock side-by-side, and even then nothing bling.

7A4F528A-61FB-4DAA-A39A-0C5BDAF0441F.jpeg
Kamon/Fingal/Hangler colab up for charity auction on IG this Sunday for Doctors Without Borders.
Handle = Austrian Plum Wood - Titanium

Steel = High Carbon - Apex Ultra Core steel with Nickel layer and Damascus cladding

Tapered blade - tang = 4mm - mid way = 2.5mm near tip = 1.5mm

THIS IS NOT STAINLESS STEEL - please be aware of care and maintenance needed to avoid rust and tarnish

Weight = 217 grams

Dependant on shipping laws etc it comes with a fine bottle of Austrian Plum Schnapps chosen by Benjamin

Back