Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Yoshi
I have. It felt like some of the other nice carbon steels I have used in 52100, C105, 135Cr3, 125sc, 145sc, etc. Hard and crisp, but never felt brittle or chippy. Edge life was good, but ApexUltra and Magnacut are on another level as you might suspect.

@Yoshi
I have. It felt like some of the other nice carbon steels I have used in 52100, C105, 135Cr3, 125sc, 145sc, etc. Hard and crisp, but never felt brittle or chippy. Edge life was good, but ApexUltra and Magnacut are on another level as you might suspect.
It's not the AS but aogami 1 tho, just saw on FB that he has a new line using that

IMG_4214.jpeg
IMG_4215.jpeg
IMG_4216.jpeg
IMG_4217.jpeg

Passing this along because I can’t afford to buy anymore knives
I expect you all to buy these before I wake up tomorrow

Forgive my ignorance. Could one of you fine folk give me the low down on Kagekiyo? I've only been at this about a year and somehow this maker just entered my awareness in the last week or so as I have seen several posts hereabouts regarding them. They tend to live in the $400-$700 zone. What makes them special such that they live in the upper mid range sharing space with the likes of Tanaka, Togashi, Doi, et al.

Forgive my ignorance. Could one of you fine folk give me the low down on Kagekiyo? I've only been at this about a year and somehow this maker just entered my awareness in the last week or so as I have seen several posts hereabouts regarding them. They tend to live in the $400-$700 zone. What makes them special such that they live in the upper mid range sharing space with the likes of Tanaka, Togashi, Doi, et al.
Various lines, diff sharpeners, diff smiths, I like that they seem to try cool interesting things with handles. Well regarded brand that always has excellent fit & finish.

Great sakai shop -

Aogami #1 is Tanaka - Nishida (probably) - Hollow wide bevel with great meat on spine
Ginsan is Nakagawa - Myojin - is a Nakagawa myojin (shrug)
Max is new

Tanaka and nakagawa forging, really good sharpening by nishida, myojin, and new sharpener max. Great fit and finish. Really thin grinds. Cool urushi handles. About sums it up. Just a really nice ground y. Tanaka
Ah that explains it. it shares space with Tanaka because it IS a Tanaka (and others like Nakagawa, etc) Thank you! And that's...
1713664949718.jpeg

It's not the AS but aogami 1 tho, just saw on FB that he has a new line using that
Got a link?

Interesting after switching to Aogami Super in the early 2000s that Takeda would go back to Aogami 1. I had a really old nakiri that was Aogami 1 and it was really nice steel. I also love their Aogami super though

Got a link?

Interesting after switching to Aogami Super in the early 2000s that Takeda would go back to Aogami 1. I had a really old nakiri that was Aogami 1 and it was really nice steel. I also love their Aogami super though
Ah I think I read the post wrong, it was an old stock.

Man, I'm surprised that this is still here considering Tanaka Kyuzos used to sell out in a blink of an eye. (I know it's an extra height version but that ziricote handle is also choice to my untrained eye.) If I was newer to the hobby then I think I'd have picked this one up but alas now it's in nice custom territory pricing-wise.
It's a really nice one, but then I'm like...do I need another Y. Tanaka blue 1? And then I realized if I always want one, they pop up for at least like $100 less than that on the secondary. I think the $500-$550 range would be more fair

Back