Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW I'm really interested in this, anyone know what kind of stones are they?
https://www.chuboknives.com/products/takeda-two-sided-hand-held-sharpening-stone
According to Jon at JKI, he guesses a 1200 grit white alumina and 800 grit silica carbide.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/takeda-handheld-sharpening-stone.1269/post-17185
Then again I've seen it listed elsewhere as 400/1200, so... 🤔

edit: Just noticed that post from Jon is more than a decade old, so maybe there's some more recent info out there by now??

Thanks for the heads up! There's been a number of smaller Takeda gyutos and the Sasenoha on BST recently, but not the larger size gyutos. I've been looking for one of these.

Number of Shibata Koutetsu offerings also available on Chubo.

Takeda restock at Chubo. As of now, there's a bunch available:

200mm Small Chuka Bocho
240mm Large Chuka Bocho
180mm Large Deba
240mm Medium Gyuto
270mm Large Gyuto
240mm Medium Kiritsuke
270mm Large Kiritsuke
240mm Large Sasanoha
240mm Large Suji/Yanagi
270mm XL Suji/Yanagi

https://www.chuboknives.com/collections/vendors?pf_st_stock_status=true&pf_v_vendor=Takeda
I’d probably pick up a 240 gyuto/kiritsuke if I didn’t just buy the 230 Fredrik Spare from Birch & Bevel.
Would love to try a takeda one of these days. The chuka bocho’s look fun too

I got it.

Edit - I’ve wanted something of his for a while so this was perfect timing. Calling it an early birthday gift to myself plus it fills a gap since I have nothing over 240
Happy early birthday, nice grab! Do you mind me asking what you paid? Orange peel or not, that knife is gorgeous!

Tell me I don’t need a yoshi for 20% off.

I just got a yoshi bunka in white2 and so far.. not impressed. Was cutting potatoes and it felt like they stuck more than anything else I’ve ever used
Never used their bunks, but their gyuto is ok. I suspect the stickiness is due to the higher shinogi line and flatter bevel, ModRQC reported this in his review too.

Never used their bunks, but their gyuto is ok. I suspect the stickiness is due to the higher shinogi line and flatter bevel, ModRQC reported this in his review too.
Was definitely unfortunate. I was excited to finally try one and purchased in from BST but oh well.
Probably the only knife I regret buying so far besides the first 3 I ever bought which weren’t bad but I could have spent the same on something better with some research

Was definitely unfortunate. I was excited to finally try one and purchased in from BST but oh well.
Probably the only knife I regret buying so far besides the first 3 I ever bought which weren’t bad but I could have spent the same on something better with some research

I think of it as different knives for different tasks. When food release is important grab an s-grind or something known for good food release. Use the Yoshikane for things where light, easy cutting action is more important than food release like a pile of thick carrots.

Food sticking is probably more of a characteristic of lasers in general than Yoshikane specifically.

I think of it as different knives for different tasks. When food release is important grab an s-grind or something known for good food release. Use the Yoshikane for things where light, easy cutting action is more important than food release like a pile of thick carrots.

Food sticking is probably more of a characteristic of lasers in general than Yoshikane specifically.
That’s fair - I might be a little harsh without giving it a fair shot. I think it was just a mix of high hopes and decent $ that lead to the initial reaction.

That’s fair - I might be a little harsh without giving it a fair shot. I think it was just a mix of high hopes and decent $ that lead to the initial reaction.

It always sucks to be disappointed with a knife, especially when you had high hopes due to the reputation. Fortunately Yoshikane should sell quickly on BST if you decide to pass it along. I personally love my 210 k-tip, but then I cut sweet potatoes far more often than regular potatoes and food release isn’t high on my list of priorities (and I have a couple s-grinds for when I need it). My Yoshi really shines on dense foods like sweet potatoes and thick carrots.

Latest posts

Back