Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #1 240mm WRECKED

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I left this knife at my parents' place for a month and this happened.

20230903_004248.jpg
20230903_004256.jpg

I had already done some initial rust removal, sharpening, and thining but it is bad.

The rust development extends into the handle.

It happened 3 months ago and I'm still heartbroken. 😭

This is hands down my favorite knife and I can't replace it.

The rust I can kind of accept, because most normal folks don’t understand how easily carbon knives rust even when they’re stored in a dry and forgotten about.

But the chunk of steel missing…

😭

Okok what you do to piss them off. That has to be the reason, there is no way someone creates a chip that big without anger.

Never leave a Japanese knife with people that don’t understand them.

I gave a cheap, stainless clad Kansui Dojo blue steel (quite a good knife actually, just not pretty) to a friend whose wife is the cook because they are mostly vegetarian. I got a comment, ‘this knife is not stainless’. When she’s done prepping, the knife goes in the sink until after dinner and gets cleaned up with the dishes.

This made me realize that this is how most ‘commoners’ use knives.

1. Don’t give them a knife that isn’t stainless
2. Don’t give them a knife with a Wa wooden handle
3. Don’t give them a knife that will chip or break on small bones or in the sink with ‘stuff’.

Give them a tradional stainless European knife made of thick, soft steel.

But the chunk of steel missing…

😭
Although I shaved out of most of the microchips already, it hurts my soul and I feel like throwing the knife away when I see that ginormous notch.

It was my mistake for leaving my fuji out in the open for them to destroy it.

Thank you all for the condolences and positivity. With your support, I will prevail and turn it into suji 🥲

You might reach out to Korin in NYC. Their sharpener Vincent does a lot of repair/restoration work. his IG handle is @vincentsavesknives

do NOT send it to Vincent. that guy cannot repair a knife worth shizzle

and this is why all my knives are in my room, where they are safe from danger.

Joe Biden Goodbye GIF by The Democrats

Lesson learned.......the hard way. Really sucks dude.
What a terrible situation to come back to. But all is not lost. Carbon Knife Co can do wonders with rusty, broken blades.

Last edited:
You had a bad experience with him?

Not me personally, but I’ve seen some knives that he’s “repaired” and heard some stories from cook homies. Overall, if it’s not too bad (slight chips, secondary bevel sharpening) then yeah sure, he can do it, but more difficult repairs like larger chips (like this Kono), single bevel repairs, reprofiling, etc, you’re better off just sending it to District Cutlery.

It’s kinda that feeling…. The same feeling I get when I think about the sharpening departments at Knifewear and Coutelier.

Last edited:
I think this damage and the knife both are served best by having this done a pro. I’m sure the steel will do well in the right person’s hands…after all it was a lot of the appeal when you chose the knife.

Redoing the profile and beveling would most certainly be a task above most people’s comfort and ability level.

I think this damage and the knife both are served best by having this done a pro. I’m sure the steel will do well in the right person’s hands…after all it was a lot of the appeal when you chose the knife.

Redoing the profile and beveling would most certainly be a task above most people’s comfort and ability level.
Or send it to @konsuke. He seems to be on a roll reprofiling his Toyenka.

ouch, that sucks… on the brighter side, the largest chip looks smaller than 1cm in height. I think if you have it reground and thinned, keeping the profile, you’ll end up with more than a suji (more like a gyutohiki or short gyuto). should still be a great knife!

I gave a cheap, stainless clad Kansui Dojo blue steel (quite a good knife actually, just not pretty) to a friend whose wife is the cook because they are mostly vegetarian. I got a comment, ‘this knife is not stainless’. When she’s done prepping, the knife goes in the sink until after dinner and gets cleaned up with the dishes.

This made me realize that this is how most ‘commoners’ use knives.

1. Don’t give them a knife that isn’t stainless
2. Don’t give them a knife with a Wa wooden handle
3. Don’t give them a knife that will chip or break on small bones or in the sink with ‘stuff’.

Give them a tradional stainless European knife made of thick, soft steel.
A further point, going beyond knives to cookware:

Don't let them in your home kitchen unsupervised--or furnish alternatives while making your special items unavailable. I have a decent supply of knives as well as pots and pans to be used when I can't supervise.

Latest posts

Back