Looking for a splash and go for touchups

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like to ask for a little advice...

I have a "complete" Gesshin soaking progression (400-2000-6000) but lately I've been thinking it might be nice to be able to just yank a stone out of the drawer and splash a little water on it for touch ups during meal prep. This kind of moved front and center when I tried to dice a piece of horseradish root (I use a fair bit of horseradish, this was a tough one) and my thin blades didn't love that.

Generally I use a Gesshin Ginga stainless, a Kochi carbon and a Munetoshi petty.

My knee jerk reaction was to get a Gesshin 6000 splash and go but they look a little on the sold out side now. The synthetic natural says it's best to soak, but that stone looks pretty interesting.

I thought about the shapton 5000 because I could pull the stone out and just spritz some water on it and place it on it's case. That actually sounds pretty appealing to me.

I don't <<think>> I'll use this as a main finishing stone, I like the 6000 I have, really just for during meal touch ups.

Any help would be appreciated.

6000 will be back in next week FYI

That being said, it works best when it is permanently soaked, despite being a splash and go stone

Chosera 3000 might be a good option? I'm thinking that 5000 or 6000 might be a bit too fine. You could use a 3000 like a strop and still leave a little bit of a toothy edge.

I'm stropping on the Chosera 3000 for this purpose, and finishing with a few strokes on a compressed buffalo hide strop lightly loaded with green compound. I'm not sure the stone is even necessary - the strop may be enough by itself, but haven't really tested this yet. I got the strop from Burrfection, who has his detractors on this forum. But the strop is really nice. Or you could go with just the 3000 as Michi suggests.

Check our Cleancut.eu they have a 4k splasher that's super nice. Bought it recently and it's lovely to use. Can either be splashed (per their website) or quick-soaked for a couple of minutes (according to the Cleancut guys).

My suggestion would be to permasoak all of these stones - then you will have them always ready to be used and would not need to buy another stone(s).

Matus, thanks for the suggestion. That’s what I’ve been doing, I was thinking a splash and go would be a little neater, less water around. I’ll probably just keep doing that, although the chosera seems interesting

In that case the Chosera 3000 is definitely a good choice. Also have a look at Shapton Pro 5000 and Shapton Glass.

Gesshin 6K diamond plate (diamond 6000 stone kit). In my opinion more convenient than Shapton, and excellent for stropping.

Nife, that's a great idea. Frees up my existing 6000 to travel across town to my gf's house. The shapton does have the appeal of costing 1/3 but what kind of a knife nut thinks of that?

Gesshin 6K diamond plate (diamond 6000 stone kit). In my opinion more convenient than Shapton, and excellent for stropping.
its not exactly a diamond plate in the sense that a DMT or atoma is... more like a resinoid based diamond stone

I find that stropping on leather glued to a piece of wood with diamond paste or similar compound, is enough most of the time. Its a very cheap solution, which is very fast and simple for daily use. 5- 10 strokes on each side and you are good to go.
When a stone is needed I use a JNS 6000 Matukusuyama synthetic, its splash and go.

Take the dick micro (sounds funny, I know), the best honing rod ever. Ten times better than stropping on leather and a lot easier to use than a stone.

My 2 cents.

Mack.

Didn’t realize I left this thread hanging. I answered this in another thread at the time, but I ended up getting a Shapton pro 5000. Here’s what I said:

I have a full set of stones that I permasoak and I just bought a shapton Kuromaku 5000 to use as a convenient touch up stone.

It’s really easy to live with. It comes in a ventilated plastic case that doubles as a stone holder. I pull it out, put one side of the case on a silicone pot holder so it doesn’t slide around, squirt some water on it, give it a minute to moisten and then give my knives a few strokes to refine the edge. It dries mostly in a few minutes and then goes back in its case where it lives a thoroughly unobtrusive life on an open shelf.

This is a very good choice! To me it only seems to be too much work to do this during a cooking session. And I would never strop one of my knives, it only gives you a rounded edge. That's why I voted for the dick micro.

Mack.

I have been using my 2000 grit when just wishing to do a quick touch up.

Didn’t realize I left this thread hanging. I answered this in another thread at the time, but I ended up getting a Shapton pro 5000. Here’s what I said:

I have a full set of stones that I permasoak and I just bought a shapton Kuromaku 5000 to use as a convenient touch up stone.

It’s really easy to live with. It comes in a ventilated plastic case that doubles as a stone holder. I pull it out, put one side of the case on a silicone pot holder so it doesn’t slide around, squirt some water on it, give it a minute to moisten and then give my knives a few strokes to refine the edge. It dries mostly in a few minutes and then goes back in its case where it lives a thoroughly unobtrusive life on an open shelf.

Cool!

I think my fav stones for quick and easy touchups is the glass series. because they completely dry in like 5 minutes. and you can get them in almost any grit you want. the 3k is a fav and also the 6k gray "hc".

i think the glass is slower dishing and feel better in general, and are faster. but its quite marginal anyway. you can get any grit you want with glass but not with pro. all of them are good imo.

sounds good.

are you planning on doing mostly ss or carbon or even powder/hss?

I think for regular ingot ss a 2-3k is a suitable finishing point. 3 will be sharper and 2 be faster. (you can get a 500 for these instead of a 1k to pair with)

powder ss (like r2) and hss can take a 4k edge or so.

carbon can handle up to 12-15k but diminishing returns after 5-6k or so imo.

I think that deciedes what stones to get.

sounds good.

are you planning on doing mostly ss or carbon or even powder/hss?

I think for regular ingot ss a 2-3k is a suitable finishing point. 3 will be sharper and 2 be faster. (you can get a 500 for these instead of a 1k to pair with)

powder ss (like r2) and hss can take a 4k edge or so.

carbon can handle up to 12-15k but diminishing returns after 5-6k or so imo.

I think that deciedes what stones to get.

I'd personally say SG 500 (preferably the double thick), Pro 2k (SS finisher) and SG 4k HC or Pro 5k (carbon finisher).

Thanks. I will be mostly sharpening carbon with some SS, but not powder. I don't really abuse my knives at all and thought I didn't need to go as low as 500. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Back