Machi gaps on slicers...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machi?

• Yay

Votes: 36 42.4%
  • Nay

Votes: 49 57.6%

• Total voters

cotedupy

Reaction score
I quite like a machi gap on a single bevel slicer, I dunno why, I just do. What do others think...

[This is referring specifically to traditional Japanese slicers. I think we can all agree that a machi gap on a gyuto would be a bit gash.]

We aren't talking about machi's, rather machi gaps (space between the machi and the handle so beloved by Konosuke).

Ochazuke is basically referring to the gap in that post. I think the point is that if they leave a gap, you can hammer the handle in a bit farther the next time you install it. So if you’re sharpening a lot and the weight changes, you can push the handle forward a bit by decreasing the size of the gap.

Ochazuke is basically referring to the gap in that post. I think the point is that if they leave a gap, you can hammer the handle in a bit farther the next time you install it. So if you’re sharpening a lot and the weight changes, you can push the handle forward a bit by decreasing the size of the gap.
That's not how I'm reading that post. But yes, I have heard that is one explanation for the gap. Can't be a compelling reason as few makers leave a gap eg Shig, Kato etc

Not a fan of machi gaps. Make me nervous about trapping food and moisture there. Also, one more corner to make sure I have dried well with my towel.

Having said that, I do like tangs with machi if installed flush to the handle and providing they leave a decently long neck. Their neck is usually wider and more comfortable (to me). It’s also helpful having a visual guide to where start polishing the spine and choil.

My understanding is that the function of the gap is to allow removal of the handle for thinning or polishing the blade multiple times with the same handle using the traditional burn in install.
I can understand that, but most knives with machi gaps that I've come across have been installed with glue or epoxy. I rarely find machi gap + burn in.

I remember reading somewhere that it had to do with the way old katanas where made in the Tokyo area, hence Tokyo style name, and how the katana sat in the sheath. The tradition of style was pass down to kitchen knives

I can understand that, but most knives with machi gaps that I've come across have been installed with glue or epoxy. I rarely find machi gap + burn in.

I removed a couple of handles yesterday, both burnt in, but these are older knives, I imagine perhaps it's less common nowadays(?).

Obviously these pics below are pre-shaping of the new handles, the blanks friction fit very nicely but that's cos I'm using the original ferrules so I think I probably will need to do a glue or epoxy install. Gonna keep the gaps though I think rather than widening the tang slots, just cos I like the way they look and these knives are for me. I don't think I've ever put a gap in something I'm doing for someone else.

The Takohiki handle in particular is going to come out really beatifully. Lovely bit of red marbled horn, bog oak, and olive wood (root perhaps).

IMG-9843.JPG

IMG-9880.jpg

IMG-9876.jpg

I quite like a machi gap on a single bevel slicer, I dunno why, I just do. What do others think...

[This is referring specifically to traditional Japanese slicers. I think we can all agree that a machi gap on a gyuto would be a bit gash.]

Getting away from the question but I don't agree that the gap on a gyuto (or slicer) looks bad. I think that basic wa setup with a gap look great. I'm also in the camp that yo>>>wa for a gyuto so I'm probably not going to win any friends here.

From a purely aesthetic view the gap on the Konosuke FM look good to me and even here where it is taken to the extreme.

https://miuraknives.com/japanese-kn...65-japanese-knife-masamoto.html#/36-size-24cm
Would take this over a fancy burl mammoth inlay blah blah.... custom handle with no gap any day.

Getting away from the question but I don't agree that the gap on a gyuto (or slicer) looks bad. I think that basic wa setup with a gap look great. I'm also in the camp that yo>>>wa for a gyuto so I'm probably not going to win any friends here.

From a purely aesthetic view the gap on the Konosuke FM look good to me and even here where it is taken to the extreme.

https://miuraknives.com/japanese-kn...65-japanese-knife-masamoto.html#/36-size-24cm
Would take this over a fancy burl mammoth inlay blah blah.... custom handle with no gap any day.
That gap is comical

Last edited:
As I've said before, machi gap is the al dente of handles. Not done.

It always looks like the blade is going to fall out. It's a blight. If it did/does have a specific functional purpose then that is fine for those select knives and for those people taking advantage of that intent, for everything else it just seems like some type of retro gimmick.

I don't know if I've ever seen a knife with machi gap on Knives Japan and those are largely country, rustic, destined for in theater blades.

I like em on Yani. Helps differentiate the Jknives from the posers.

Not so much on gyuto or other styles that will be used with shifting grips during use.

I'm not a fan of the aesthetics.

But I can understand in the sense of the handle being removed often/adjusted over a long period of time, to adjust the balance from repeated sharpening.

I'm not a fan of the aesthetics.

But I can understand in the sense of the handle being removed often/adjusted over a long period of time, to adjust the balance from repeated sharpening.
We're talking mm here. I don't think it's gonna make a perceptible difference to the balance on a 270-330mm blade . The ability to repeatedly remove and reinstall the handle for spa treatments could be useful I suppose in a commercial setting.

Back