mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, thinking about grabbing some of Mazaki Gyuto, Should I go with 210 or 240? any preference?
Depends on your preference. I’d like to have both :) but for real do you want a longer knife or shorter? They tend to run a little long so if you like Sakai 240’s then maybe get a 210 because they can run pretty long and check retailers to see if they have a long one in stock.

it is for the home cook, I don't really cut hard root veggies etc often. Mostly just for Onion, shallots, garlic, mushroom, green beans. For protein, mainly Beef, Boneless Chicken Leg, Fillet Fish and Whole medium Fish (Pompano etc). I use Hi-Soft and Teak End Grain, but mostly use the Hisoft. I kinda want the 210, but I want to know if the cutting feel will be a difference for the 240 since it's heavier. I have a lot of 240 but mostly laser (Kotetsu AS, Sakai Yusuke, Ohishi AS, Wakui, Takada No Hamono ) and for 210 I have Takamura and Hinoura. So a new variety would be nice.

Never say no to Mazaki! 👍🏻 A 210 will serve you well (well, a 240 would too).
How can you say no if he makes all the knives?
1yq6xj.jpg

Bit the bullet as well and bought a Mazaki w2 210mm from Syoukon-Hamono in Hong Kong. I'm in HK so I didn't have to wait to get it. Just showed up at the store. HK is usually quite humid so I need to take good care of it making sure it's oiled well whenever I put it back into the drawer. But heard so many good things about it so I wanted to give it a try. Normally prefer stainless as I'm a home cook and don't get as much action with my knives. I think the handle is Ivory Color Corian with Silver Colored Copper Rings and Ebony. Anyways that's the handle it came with and it keeps the knife nicely balanced. Was around USD220 so seems to be a good price. Seems to be one of the few leftover stocks cause the guy at the shop says they don't plan to restock Mazaki.
20200530_223529.jpg20200530_223719.jpg20200530_223623.jpg20200530_224134.jpg20200530_224433.jpg20200530_224208.jpg

Every pic of that is a good one and looks good as well. I've never warmed to Mazaki but hope this works for you as well as it looks.

Bit the bullet as well and bought a Mazaki w2 210mm from Syoukon-Hamono in Hong Kong. I'm in HK so I didn't have to wait to get it. Just showed up at the store. HK is usually quite humid so I need to take good care of it making sure it's oiled well whenever I put it back into the drawer. But heard so many good things about it so I wanted to give it a try. Normally prefer stainless as I'm a home cook and don't get as much action with my knives. I think the handle is Ivory Color Corian with Silver Colored Copper Rings and Ebony. Anyways that's the handle it came with and it keeps the knife nicely balanced. Was around USD220 so seems to be a good price. Seems to be one of the few leftover stocks cause the guy at the shop says they don't plan to restock Mazaki.
View attachment 82324View attachment 82326View attachment 82325View attachment 82328View attachment 82330View attachment 82329
omg sexy...
hows this knife in W2? Would it hold a sharp edge as a line cook doing lots of garlic and veggies for a week?

Not an enthusiast but that looks closer to the one I have from kns which is crazy convexed and very different cutter from the yoshihiro/ckc batch which are suppppper thin behind the edge.
This is a good point. Can’t wait to see how the next batch looks. Where does maz go from here?

Now that’s a nice package. Where’s you pick up the blade from?

I think that’s the one I traded with him. It was from ckc. The thing was super bad ass and I never would have given it up except it had a pretty strong lefty grind. I bought one from yoshihiro to replace it. It’s nice but not nearly as hefty or bad ass as that one.

Back