My cousin is selling my chilli recipe at her restaurant.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmRoyale

Reaction score
She doesn't do high end cuisine, just simple, stomach filling food. She asked me if it's okay if she uses my chilli recipe so I said sure, go ahead. If people like it, let them enjoy it. And if it makes her money that's even better.

500 grams of lean ground beef
1 can of brown pinto beans
1 can of red kidney beans
1 diced onion
1 diced green bell pepper
1 diced red bell pepper (I happen to think the red and green bell peppers compliment each other in this recipe)
3 cloves of garlic
1 pack of tomato passata (500 grams)
Diced tomato
1 carrot, sliced thinly
1 small can of green peas
A bit of beef stock
Water
Salt
Oregano
Marjoram
Ground cumin
Jalapeño pepper
Chilli powder
Smoked Paprika powder

This is my recipe for 2 people so it's easy to scale up. Frying everything takes about 10 minutes. Throw in the beans, peas and carrot, season to taste and let it simmer for at least half an hour to 45 minutes. Everyone who's had my chilli loves it. We like to eat it with fresh iceberg lettuce and Tortillas to scoop it up.

Last edited:
I do :D It adds a nice sweetness to it. And isn't that the nice thing about chilli, there isn't one correct recipe. You can add whatever you like. And judging by the compliments my chilli gets it's a good combination.

***???? Only some jalapeno pepper??? Is that what someone told all of you european guys??? :p

(BTW, you are brave to stick a chili recipe out there for all to critique)

***???? Only some jalapeno pepper??? Is that what someone told all of you european guys??? :p

Lol, I forgot the chilli powder. But my chilli is a lot hotter than what most Europeans are used to. A very good friend of ours is Indonesian and she makes dishes that most Europeans can't handle . We're used to a lot of heat. My cousin actually toned it down because she knows her customers can't handle how hot I make it :D

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, I'll have to give this a try (TIL what tomato passata are)

I wasn’t criticizing. Asked a real question about the peas and the final product.

Plus. You posted it. Not every response is gonna be an “Atta boy!”

And some circles feels no bean belongs in chili. They call that place Texas.

Fair enough.

Well, we're not in Texas and I put whatever I want in my chilli. Otherwise it's just a spicy beef stew. Sometimes I also add corn. But to answer your question, yes the green peas cook to almost nothing. I only add them because we like the sweetness they add.

Same type who puts pineapple on a pizza ;)
I know someone who actually puts pineapple in his chilli. You can say what you want about my recipe but I'm not that far gone :p

Last edited:
I like pineapple on pizza.

I also like bacon wrapped banana roasted on a pan - so shoot me :)

For the record, I like pineapple on pizza. It has that sweet salty thing going. Add pepper flakes and BOOM!

I like my chili traditional Texas style. I do however put various veggies into my homemade “sloppy joe” to sneak them in. Peas have made the cut on occasion, but I add frozen ones right at the end so they remain intact. I never buy canned peas. So over cooked already

Made your recipe last night and it passed my "wife likes it" test. I left out the Jalapeno just in case. I agree with you about the beans. With out them it is just some kind of beef stew and I have kin that can about throw a rock across the Rio Grande from their house. Big Bend National Park Ranger.

Chili ?

Eh hem, Chili:

Has no beans!
Uses only fresh/roasted/and whole dry chiles that have been soaked
Uses only fresh herbs
The only ground spices should be cumin...........after you toast the seeds ; and Paprika

I am not knocking your recipe, I am sure it is a dang good stew......but calling it chili is fighting words :p

Made your recipe last night and it passed my "wife likes it" test. I left out the Jalapeno just in case. I agree with you about the beans. With out them it is just some kind of beef stew and I have kin that can about throw a rock across the Rio Grande from their house. Big Bend National Park Ranger.

I’ve heard the rangers at big bend are nothing to be taken lightly either. Based in Austin. Haven’t made the trip but it’s on the bucket list.

ETA: pineapple on pizza is good. I like mine now with sausage and black olives.

Chili, I’m from Washington state, and used to ski a lot. So whatever came out of the can hot was the bees knees. These days I don’t care either way.

Hundreds of recipes and restaurants put beans in their chili. Not everyone is going to agree on recipes, not everyone cares about authenticity either. As long as the customers are happy and recipe is executed properly that’s all that matters.

Hundreds of recipes and restaurants put beans in their chili. Not everyone is going to agree on recipes, not everyone cares about authenticity either. As long as the customers are happy and recipe is executed properly that’s all that matters.

I put pineapple in my gumbo and peas in my jambalaya. Boil my crawfish in seltzer water since it’s already bubbling. :). (I agree with you though).

I put pineapple in my gumbo and peas in my jambalaya. Boil my crawfish in seltzer water since it’s already bubbling. :). (I agree with you though).
There’s so much freestyling with gumbo it’s ridiculous. Everyone’s throwing pineapple in their crawfish boils these days too haha

Mama made a mighty file gumbo...

And then some ass hat decided sassafras was carcinogenic?!

Chili is what you care to make of it and people around you like.

Same-same for gumbo.

Peasant food is made out of what peasants can grow/afford.

I am a modern peasant. I will use what I can grow or easily/cheaply obtain, as long as it is tasty. Pride is a VERY expensive vice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back