My favorite color is USED .......the unvarnished patina thread!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do Love some Spicy White
20221227_162739.jpg
20221227_162751.jpg

I got this Shiro Kamo Blue #2 damascus gyuto as a patina canvas but it turned out to be one of my favorite gyutos. Excellent cutter and much thinner than the Shinko Seilan 210mm I had for a bit. This patina is after kielbasa and mirepoix, the only editing on the photo is to turn down the exposure a bit so it wasn't shiny/blinding to the camera.

View attachment 205192
I have been super curious about Shiro kamos aogami Damascus line, how would you rate the heat treatment, grind, etc? It looks fantastic

I have been super curious about Shiro kamos aogami Damascus line, how would you rate the heat treatment, grind, etc? It looks fantastic
Man I love this knife so much. It's a laser but is quite stiff, more confidence inspiring than a Kobayashi (also not quite as thin but I much prefer this profile) the steel feels pretty hard but is really nice on the stones and takes a fantastic edge with a chosera 3k. Great edge retention and it isn't chippy at all. Very comfortable D handle and its just incredible bang for your buck, as with most of Shiro Kamo's stuff. I'm plan to buy the suji from this line as well

Choil doesn't look as thin as it feels. It just breezes through dense stuff like squash and sweet potaters
20230122_180035.jpg

Thin tip
20230122_180054.jpg

20230122_180213.jpg

I got this Shiro Kamo Blue #2 damascus gyuto as a patina canvas but it turned out to be one of my favorite gyutos. Excellent cutter and much thinner than the Shinko Seilan 210mm I had for a bit. This patina is after kielbasa and mirepoix, the only editing on the photo is to turn down the exposure a bit so it wasn't shiny/blinding to the camera.

View attachment 205192
Damn!…is this the Tora series from cleancut?

Is this the ugly patinas thread?

View attachment 241907
There is hardly such a thing as an ugly patina. If it turns yellow/brown as happens sometimes and you don't like it, soda or laundry powder will quickly change it into grey. If this is your Kanetsune I must admit it looks great. It will still vary over time. Cut an orange or proteins and it may turn blue. Rinsing with hot water may cause spectacular changes. They won't stay, though.

There is hardly such a thing as an ugly patina. If it turns yellow/brown as happens sometimes and you don't like it, soda or laundry powder will quickly change it into grey. If this is your Kanetsune I must admit it looks great. It will still vary over time. Cut an orange or proteins and it may turn blue. Rinsing with hot water may cause spectacular changes. They won't stay, though.

Yes, this is the Kanetsune.
This patina is ugly, but I will keep it. I suppose this will change over use.
Thank you for your positive opinion and advices.

One person's ugly patina, is another person's beautiful patina.

I was just joking.
I know, it depends on the taste of each one.

Try with other food. Yoghurt, mango, whatever that's more or less acid. Results are hardly predictable. Degrease with alcohol for a more even result. Neutralise the acid with dishwashing soap. Make sure to have it feel smooth. And rinse a lot with hot water — could be I said it before.

Try with other food. Yoghurt, mango, whatever that's more or less acid. Results are hardly predictable. Degrease with alcohol for a more even result. Neutralise the acid with dishwashing soap. Make sure to have it feel smooth. And rinse a lot with hot water — could be I said it before.
I am afraid of cutting mango because of the kernel. Moreover, it is easier for me cutting mango with a peeling knife. I could try with yogurt.
Anyway, I am not unsatisfied with this patina.
I see this knife a little bit as a knife to see how to treat a carbon knife. Although my first carbon knife is this other (whose patina is more beautiful):
IMG_20230507_213417231_HDR.jpg

Received this kemadi wh with a HEAVY coffee etch and I am quite happy with my prep lately at work for helping me to replace it. These pics really don’t show how much is going on. The waves in the banding of the bulat are almost glowing this reddish-pink and there’s even some greens floating around on the wrought iron. Might take a vid to see if that could show it off a bit better. One of my favorite patinas I’ve built up. And it’ll only get better from here the more I use it. And I really find myself just reaching for this knife whether I’m home or at work.

Attachments

• IMG_2085.jpeg
    IMG_2085.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2087.jpeg
    IMG_2087.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Some yellow to complement all the blue

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/apex-ultra-san-mai-230mm-gyuto.60501/
IMG_7777.jpeg

Fresh turmeric root leaves a sticky residue

IMG_7779.jpeg

Solution: rubbing alcohol

(I should say Solvent: rubbing alcohol)

IMG_7780.jpeg

Back in action … interestingly the isopropyl did not affect the blue patina at all… the Apex Ultra neon glowing like a stained glass window against the 14C28N

IMG_7774.jpeg

Next up, overpriced tikil gomen

Last edited:
Back