Need a touch-up solution. Your advice? [ANSWERED]

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same stone, I’m sure you will like it. Excellent and inexpensive (compared to jnats). As @Nemo suggests, I use a small coticule to raise some slurry.
I use it — very old school, has to do with my age — with saliva.
From time to time it can use a few strokes with the Atoma — with water, don't worry.

Okay, stone has arrived, alongside a cute little slurry stone. Interesting feeling, I used it once and already like it a lot. Thank you all for your help and opinions.

4H2A6501.jpg

Last edited:
Go for it :) I can recommend spending a few bucks more and getting a slurry stone with it. There is something quite satisfying about using the same material in the slurry stone. I paid 10€ extra for mine.

Love to hear such positive experiences with the Belgian Blue. I’ve always wanted to try one, and I sure am getting tempted.

For now my touch up needs have been filled. I just picked up a small Aizu from @ethompson that now lives nearby. 100% has encouraged me to touch up knives that I probably wouldn’t have if I needed to take out a full sized stone.

My fiancé probably never thought her parter would be trying to keep a rock in the kitchen. Little did she know…

i personally use a shapton pro 5k. Easy to maintain, splash+go, comes with a holder/box, produces a wicked egde!

I use it — very old school, has to do with my age — with saliva.
From time to time it can use a few strokes with the Atoma — with water, don't worry.

I am off topic, but my stepdad, who taught me how to sharpen over 30 years ago, used to spit on the stone as well. I forgot about that until you mentioned it. It is kinda gross.

I am off topic, but my stepdad, who taught me how to sharpen over 30 years ago, used to spit on the stone as well. I forgot about that until you mentioned it. It is kinda gross.
the old butchers called it gob oil and said it was second best after bile, and your supposed to wash the knife afterwards

Gross? Really? It's highly effective on softer coticules if you want to start with a thick paste that eats steel, and dilute it little by little with water and refine the garnets. It offers a grit range from 800 to 8k. Any water-soluble alternative?

Gross? Really? It's highly effective on softer coticules if you want to start with a thick paste that eats steel, and dilute it little by little with water and refine the garnets. It offers a grit range from 800 to 8k. Any water-soluble alternative?
It didn’t say that it wasn’t effective, but yeah, it is a little bit gross to slide your knife around in slimy, bubbly saliva. I don’t think that is a controversial opinion. If it works for you, then that is great. I will be avoiding that method if I can.

I also am really liking my BBW right now. Decent price, easy to use, and looks nice too with its deep purple color

I also am really liking my BBW right now. Decent price, easy to use, and looks nice too with its deep purple color
I really like the edge of the BBW, great bite, also slpash and go, or even dry. There's also a small BBW and Coticule combo that works great as pocket stone.

Back