New Mazaki Profile. Opinions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all who have given feedback on the new profile! Seems like both the old and the new have their audiences

Now that I’ve used the new one from JNS for a bit I can definitely say I’m a huge fan of this knife. The old one was good too but this one suits me much better. I just made a big stew and it went through everything no problem. It almost goes through potatoes just with the weight of the knife. Probably the most impressive part is the food release though. I have quite a few knives now and this one is the only one that comes anywhere close to the food release of my Takeda. Looking at the grind I’m not really sure how, but not much seems to stick to it.

Now that I’ve used the new one from JNS for a bit I can definitely say I’m a huge fan of this knife. The old one was good too but this one suits me much better. I just made a big stew and it went through everything no problem. It almost goes through potatoes just with the weight of the knife. Probably the most impressive part is the food release though. I have quite a few knives now and this one is the only one that comes anywhere close to the food release of my Takeda. Looking at the grind I’m not really sure how, but not much seems to stick to it.
Do you find it to cut better than the older one? The jns old profile, newer grind, cut about the same as the cktg imo, but the food release was way better on the jns version. The food release on my old jns is really good.

Do you find it to cut better than the older one? The jns old profile, newer grind, cut about the same as the cktg imo, but the food release was way better on the jns version. The food release on my old jns is really good.

I don’t know about better, but it’s certainly different. The CKTG version cuts like a thick indestructible knife with average food release.

The JNS version is really thin behind the edge and so initial cuts feel almost like a laser but with excellent food release. It also makes it feel more delicate, like I need to pay closer attention to what I’m doing. The edge doesn’t feel like it will tolerate much torque. It feels less like a workhorse than the other one.

They’re completely different knives. It’s all down to personal preference I guess, but I definitely prefer the new JNS version. If I wanted something to smash garlic and cut up squash, etc, etc, I’d feel a lot more confident doing it with the CKTG version.

Maybe some dimensions from both knives and some comparison shots can be taken. Seems like there are so many variants of Mazakis. The K&S version is like a mullet but in reverse - Party up front and all business in the back.

I picked up a K-tip Mazaki (originally from A Frames, I believe, then bought off Danzo on this forum). First off, this is my first k-tip. I'm a big fan. You want a huge flat spot? Well, this one has that!

Here's a comparison of my three Mazakis (k-tip, new from JNS, and old from JNS).
https://imgur.com/gallery/b6JmfdZ (sorry, I can't figure out how to post a photo on the KKF forum, so I have to use a third-party hosting site).

Regarding food release, it may have something to do with the concave grind above the blade road. You can see it pretty clearly on the choil shots I posted.

I continue to be very impressed with Mazaki's offerings.

Well, I may be a K-tip convert.

Before I bought my mazaki K-tip on a (drunken?) impulse buy, I hadn't ever considered one. It's a beast! Huge flat spot, high grind, awesome food release. This is certainly the knife I'll be reaching for for a while.

I have never liked the way K-tips looked, but it's amazing how fast that feeling goes away when a knife performs this good.

Well, I may be a K-tip convert.

Before I bought my mazaki K-tip on a (drunken?) impulse buy, I hadn't ever considered one. It's a beast! Huge flat spot, high grind, awesome food release. This is certainly the knife I'll be reaching for for a while.

I have never liked the way K-tips looked, but it's amazing how fast that feeling goes away when a knife performs this good.

Yo Higgins I’m glad you like it! I originally bought it on impulse drunk too. It’s a great knife

I sharpened my new Mazaki from knives and stones over the weekend, the steel felt a lot better on the stone than the old style Mazaki from JNS.
I don't know if its because Mazaki made adjustments from style upgrade or its because of the carriers.
I am very attempting to try another JNS new style, maybe in 270.
Have anyone compared the steel differences on stone yet in between the JNS and K&S?

I can only comment on the K&S version and I’ll say it’s currently the best knife I’ve received in a couple years dollar for dollar. Yes, I know it’s still pretty new, but this knife does most everything very well.

I've only used the Cleancut and JNS versions, but I plan to buy one from K&S when James restocks them. From what I can remember of the CC version, I like the JNS version more. It's just as light, but feels more solid in my hand. And the grind, WOW, the grind on the JNS version is fantastic! It cuts great and product just falls to the side with very little sticking. As CH mentions above, it's one of the best dollar for dollar blades out there. I know Tanaka knives have always been king of this space, but I prefer Mazaki. Ever since I purchased my first blade from Cleancut, I knew his knives would be killer. I can't believe his knives are so well done this early in his career. IMO, he's going to be a legend in no time, as long as he keeps doing what he's doing.

Cleancut
42159840130_d558af16b0_k.jpg

JNS
43786460660_78b8663b89_k.jpg

Think I like the Cleancut profile better, a compromise between the old and new JNS profile.

How bout the grind comparison between the jns new and newer cleancut.

How bout the grind comparison between the jns new and newer cleancut.
I think the Cleancut grind easily competes with the new JNS version. It is stout at the heel, has excellent distal taper with a nice thin tip. Its crazy thin behind the edge and food release is very good.
I think metal was removed in just the right places with the newer grinds to improve performance while keeping the solid feel.

Just arrived today! Mazaki 220 with octagon handle—I'm over-the-moon that it doesn't have the dreaded d-handle, since I'm a lefty. Here it is next to my 240mm, —old profile, new grind, circa February.

Gonna give the 220 a workout tonight. Initial observation on the new 220 from Cleancut is that the finish is much more refined than my 240, which is more rustic with very visible scratch patterns. The kanji on the 220 is very smooth, whereas the 240's kanji has some sharp edges.

Handle is fab, stellar transition from wood to ferrule on mine.

I'm on a Sanjo kick right now, my Wakui petty is due to arrive tomorrow.

q3vvIrj.jpg

DfMZdI4.jpg

Just arrived today! Mazaki 220 with octagon handle—I'm over-the-moon that it doesn't have the dreaded d-handle, since I'm a lefty. Here it is next to my 240mm, —old profile, new grind, circa February.

Gonna give the 220 a workout tonight. Initial observation on the new 220 from Cleancut is that the finish is much more refined than my 240, which is more rustic with very visible scratch patterns. The kanji on the 220 is very smooth, whereas the 240's kanji has some sharp edges.

q3vvIrj.jpg

DfMZdI4.jpg
Is your 240 from cleancut also or jns? How's the distal taper on the 220?

it appears maz has been paying attention to user feedback as we see all these changes that are being done according to what people have been saying could be improved upon. that's pretty cool. fwiw i thought the original grind and profile on cleancut version was fantastic..

Is your 240 from cleancut also or jns? How's the distal taper on the 220?

The 240 is from JNS, love it despite the rougher finish.

Regarding distal taper—keep in mind that I don't have calipers and I'm comparing a 220 w/ a 240. The 220 seems to have a more aggressive taper, thinner near the front part. Spine width at the ferrule of the 220 looks a smidgen (very slightly to my eyes) wider than the 240, which is surprising.

Gotta use the 220 for a few meals before I get a sense of new vs old profile preference.

The majority of my gyutos are 240, digging the 220 size.

q3vvIrj.jpg

DfMZdI4.jpg

Lefty here too. I used to think the same thing about D handles until I bought a Toyama with one. I was prepared for a rehandle but I really like it as is. I find using a righty D handle in my left hand super comfortable. More so than in the proper hand actually. I’ve since bought a few more righty D handled knives after realizing it was no big deal for me.

The 240 is from JNS, love it despite the rougher finish.

Regarding distal taper—keep in mind that I don't have calipers and I'm comparing a 220 w/ a 240. The 220 seems to have a more aggressive taper, thinner near the front part. Spine width at the ferrule of the 220 looks a smidgen (very slightly to my eyes) wider than the 240, which is surprising.

Gotta use the 220 for a few meals before I get a sense of new vs old profile preference.

The majority of my gyutos are 240, digging the 220 size.

Good info, thanks.

q3vvIrj.jpg

DfMZdI4.jpg
The Cleancut Mazaki 215 I bought back in August quickly rose to one of my favorites!

Back