New Shun owner

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trvlbum

Reaction score
Hi. Just got my first knife. A Shun Classic 8". I have been wondering if it is real. Why? The logos dont seem solid on each side. As well, one side doesnt seem to have a distinct edge. I suppose this is a question for a particular area that I will ask again. If it's fake it's damn good as it has been a very noticeable difference using it in the past two months but my concern is it will not perform well over time if it's not real.I bought it on Amazon from a place calling itself Shun Store with high reviews so I am probably being paranoid. Also, the fruit and veg stick to the blade. I thought that as not supposed to happen. Is that just with the Premier blades?

Attachments

• tempImage7Z4SRm.png
    tempImage7Z4SRm.png
    11.4 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageKKxaJw.png
    tempImageKKxaJw.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 0
Hi. Just got my first knife. A Shun Classic 8". I have been wondering if it is real. Why? The logos dont seem solid on each side. As well, one side doesnt seem to have a distinct edge. I suppose this is a question for a particular area that I will ask again. If it's fake it's damn good as it has been a very noticeable difference using it in the past two months but my concern is it will not perform well over time if it's not real.I bought it on Amazon from a place calling itself Shun Store with high reviews so I am probably being paranoid. Also, the fruit and veg stick to the blade. I thought that as not supposed to happen. Is that just with the Premier blades?
Welcome aboard. Looks fine to me. Their logos are often just screen printed on there and will rub off over time if you use and wash the knife. Probably just needs sharpened. Fruit and veg sticking is not unusual.

Welcome aboard. Looks fine to me. Their logos are often just screen printed on there and will rub off over time if you use and wash the knife. Probably just needs sharpened. Fruit and veg sticking is not unusual.
Thank you. i feel better already. after seeing it was purchased at something called Shun Store (probably Shun) on Amazon with high star count reviews i also feel better. I once bought fake sunglasses and the way i knew for certain was the logo rubbing off in a day....lol. So...next Shun will be Premier so the food falls away better.

Thank you. i feel better already. after seeing it was purchased at something called Shun Store (probably Shun) on Amazon with high star count reviews i also feel better. I once bought fake sunglasses and the way i knew for certain was the logo rubbing off in a day....lol. So...next Shun will be Premier so the food falls away better.
most damascus on factory made knives like Shun is just for show (well all damascus is pretty much but thats another story) and they tend to create a lot of drag when cutting. My Zwilling Kramer damascus was the same way, I can already bet the feeling of the metal has that sandblasted texture

So...next Shun will be Premier so the food falls away better.
You might rethink that a bit. The Premier will not have any better food release than the Classic.

Suggest you fill out the "Which Knife" questionnaire and emphasize food release. You'll get suggestions that are (mostly) tailored to your requiements.

And they likely won't include Shun, Miyagi, or any of the housewife knives.

Last edited:
FWIW, in general, I find blade finish has little actual impact on food release and most of it is marketing hype. And, in my experience, shiny is actually worse.

Maybe your next Shun, shouldn't be a Shun at all. :)

I have a Shun Premier and I’m pretty sure the logo is just printed on like yours - it’s been years since I’ve looked at it but I don’t recall it fading but I wouldn’t be surprised if others do.

If you really want good food release then another shun won’t get you there. There are many great options including things like s-grinds, and you can make a post with the questionnaire filled out over in the main “The Kitchen Knife” section if looking for suggestions.

FWIW, in general, I find blade finish has little actual impact on food release and most of it is marketing hype. And, in my experience, shiny is actually worse.

Maybe your next Shun, shouldn't be a Shun at all. :)
I think finish actually matters quite a lot for food release... but like you said, more shiny is actually worse. Worst thing I ever did to a knife was polish it to a mirror finish; it stuck so much more than beforehand... complete waste of time.
Best example of this in a production knife is Robert Herder; they're really proud of how fine the polish is on their higher end knives, and true, they look real nice and you can barely see any grind marks.... but they also stick like hell.

Best example of this in a production knife is Robert Herder; they're really proud of how fine the polish is on their higher end knives, and true, they look real nice and you can barely see any grind marks.... but they also stick like hell.
One a side note: not so with the Herder 1922 carbons. My guess is it has to do, both with their convex geometry, and the patina that will quickly appear. Perhaps not such a good idea to give the stamped stainless the same finish.

We all start somewhere, and I have a few Shun knives including Classic, Premier, and Edo. The Edo is the one I regret the most. Then, some Yoshihiro, and other. However, after hanging out with these fine folks, I'm waiting on a Shibata Koutetsu SG2 Gyuto 240 mm from Chubo being delivered Monday. So, my point being there are better options and the BST here may present some. There is a lot to learn about sharpening that can be had by reading these forums too.

I have had several Premiers and the logo issue has happened on 2 of them. Not a big deal they just don't stick very well. They're lovely looking knives and I've actually been really happy with the steel, it sharpens easily and holds a usable edge for a damn long time.

The folks above me are right, the more polished the blade, the worse the food release.

One a side note: not so with the Herder 1922 carbons. My guess is it has to do, both with their convex geometry, and the patina that will quickly appear. Perhaps not such a good idea to give the stamped stainless the same finish.
I wouldn't know; all my sticky K-series Herders are carbon. :p They've turned blue but they're still quite sticky.

From the K-series I only have the carbon K2. No complaints.
It's not a big deal to me either; I still quite like the knives... it's just noticable in comparison to all my other knives; the polished surface is the most sticky I own. Only thing I had that got close was when I put a mirror-finish on my Carbonext.
That being said; there might be some truth to their claim that it does stave off corrosion; they are also my least reactive carbon knives. Although that could also simply be a result of the steel composition.

It's not a big deal to me either; I still quite like the knives... it's just noticable in comparison to all my other knives; the polished surface is the most sticky I own. Only thing I had that got close was when I put a mirror-finish on my Carbonext.
That being said; there might be some truth to their claim that it does stave off corrosion; they are also my least reactive carbon knives. Although that could also simply be a result of the steel composition.
Do you force a patina? I always do.

Nope, all of my patinas are are all-natural. Why knows maybe a fatter oxidation layer could work. But I don't really like the feeling of the dark grey forced patinas...

If you're dissatisfied with your Shun, then have you contacted any Thai makers?

If the knife works well, maybe it's a keeper. I'm not versed in Shun authenticity, but as for the 'sticking' to the blade question, I have that issue to some degree with all my knives—Japanese or German, fluted or flat edge. I know I have seen a video on YouTube fairly recently, where a guy tries a variety of his personal knives to see which is the least 'sticky'. If nothing else, it helps to see someone else having a similar experience while slicing veggies. Enjoy your Shun!

Back