Newbie question alert!! Why has a nakiri got a curved front?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's also to be a bit more forgiving in your angle of approach. A square corner would dig into the board easier if you're not landing perfectly square to the board.
But I'm not a nakiriman so my opinion on this subject has very little value.

Ok thanks, makes perfect sense, silly me!,... I'm new but doing my homework! I 've watched nikiri videos and they all seem to push cut with them, I've not seen folks rocking them, I would have thought they would be not great for that with the flat profile? cheers

I have and use many of them.

The curved profile is a result of their being based on usuba. It’s the same profile. Then once you get to the tip itself, it’s curved to accommodate the curved profile. The cutting motion is not robotic up down up down either. You should employ a somewhat circular motion ending in a slight draw at the end. If you’re tap chopping you still pull slightly back during the tap. It’s not a push cut but rather a thrust cut. You can also use tap chops, draw cuts, or FSM-forbid, rock chops.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, makes perfect sense, silly me!,... I'm new but doing my homework! I 've watched nikiri videos and they all seem to push cut with them, I've not seen folks rocking them, I would have thought they would be not great for that with the flat profile? cheers
I used to think flatter profiles were worse for rock chopping... then I got a Kippington and my opinion changed entirely. As long as you're only rocking for small ingredients like herbs and bits/ends, then the flatter profile gives a full-contact that is amazing

I used to think flatter profiles were worse for rock chopping... then I got a Kippington and my opinion changed entirely. As long as you're only rocking for small ingredients like herbs and bits/ends, then the flatter profile gives a full-contact that is amazing
I’ve come to realize that I prefer a nice flat spot on pretty much every knife I have. I have problems with accordion cuts when it’s too curved, unless I’m rocking

Pretty square.

E0AC5AC8-A00C-4C99-A913-627C59193D69.jpeg

Very slight curve at the last 4-5mm, otherwise quite flat. A little bit of technique adjustment but not much.

I’ve come to realize that I prefer a nice flat spot on pretty much every knife I have. I have problems with accordion cuts when it’s too curved, unless I’m rocking

I’m with you. I just recieved a 195mm TF Denka gyuto and was very pleased that most of the edge is straight. It can push or rock so I’m very pleased with the edge profile.

Back