Paper Towel Challenge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I'm taking away from all this is I need to get more stones. I don't think I'm going to have a good paper towel cut with SP220, SP1k, King 1k/6k
Probably can do it off the SP 1k, especially if you use some kind of strop after. Don't even need compound.

Pay attention to the last part of the video.

What I'm taking away from all this is I need to get more stones. I don't think I'm going to have a good paper towel cut with SP220, SP1k, King 1k/6k

Like Mike said - the SP1K and the King 1K will do it. Not massively easily, but they will. The SP 220 and the King 6k not so much.

In terms of synths - I imagine your best bet would be a hardish, reasonably quick stone around 3k-4k, ie a Shapton.

You don't need all those stones. You don't need to be able to drop it through to make a good kitchen edge either. They aren't necessarily the same thing. It's just a fun way to challenge yourself.

I tend to sharpen at a higher angle than you are doing there also.

Iā€™ve actually no idea what angle I sharpen at tbh. My guess is that this is somewhere between 20-25 degs:

IMG_4734.jpeg

I donā€™t alter it either, regardless of steel. Unless Iā€™m doing 70:30, then everything gets the edge set at the same angleā€¦ whatever that may be!

Iā€™ve actually no idea what angle I sharpen at tbh. My guess is that this is somewhere between 20-25 degs:

View attachment 316303

I donā€™t alter it either, regardless of steel. Unless Iā€™m doing 70:30, then everything gets the edge set at the same angleā€¦ whatever that may be!
Love that. Have literally never known what angles I sharpen at šŸ˜‚

Probably can do it off the SP 1k, especially if you use some kind of strop after. Don't even need compound.

Pay attention to the last part of the video.

That guy is crazy good. How effective is that method of deburring? It seems similar to the micro bevel I do. Maybe even easier.
I do have a Bob Kramer strop. Smooth leather no compound. The other day when I posted my attempt, pt1 I ended with my micro bevel on 1k and sliced a little. Pt2 I just did the micro bevel on the 6k and seemingly got better results. Why would that be for the paper towel? I have yet to try it after stropping though. I usually don't notice much difference after stropping.
Like Mike said - the SP1K and the King 1K will do it. Not massively easily, but they will. The SP 220 and the King 6k not so much.

In terms of synths - I imagine your best bet would be a hardish, reasonably quick stone around 3k-4k, ie a Shapton.
If I can clear enough space on my phone I'll have to do another recording of my sharpening and get feedback from everyone.
You don't need all those stones. You don't need to be able to drop it through to make a good kitchen edge either. They aren't necessarily the same thing. It's just a fun way to challenge yourself.
My knives have absolutely no problem in the kitchen. I really like this challenge and would love to be able to pull that off in front of friends haha. Just to show off a bit haha and feel accomplished as a great sharpener instead of just average

That guy is crazy good. How effective is that method of deburring? It seems similar to the micro bevel I do. Maybe even easier.
I do have a Bob Kramer strop. Smooth leather no compound. The other day when I posted my attempt, pt1 I ended with my micro bevel on 1k and sliced a little. Pt2 I just did the micro bevel on the 6k and seemingly got better results. Why would that be for the paper towel? I have yet to try it after stropping though. I usually don't notice much difference after stropping.

If I can clear enough space on my phone I'll have to do another recording of my sharpening and get feedback from everyone.

My knives have absolutely no problem in the kitchen. I really like this challenge and would love to be able to pull that off in front of friends haha. Just to show off a bit haha and feel accomplished as a great sharpener instead of just average
Thatā€™s Kippington :) heā€™s a knife maker and that method of deburring is by far my favorite. Itā€™s efficient, and easy, once you get over how counter intuitive it feels to run a knife along a stone at 90 degrees.

Also notice heā€™s using edge leading strokes for everything except the final strops on paper. Thatā€™s to prevent a burr forming. The paper, in theory, is to ā€œalignā€ and refine the teeth from sharpening.

Thatā€™s Kippington :) heā€™s a knife maker and that method of deburring is by far my favorite. Itā€™s efficient, and easy, once you get over how counter intuitive it feels to run a knife along a stone at 90 degrees.

Also notice heā€™s using edge leading strokes for everything except the final strops on paper. Thatā€™s to prevent a burr forming. The paper, in theory, is to ā€œalignā€ and refine the teeth from sharpening.
How is that method done? I'm sure it's more complicated than it looks. I'm always doing edge leading unless I'm scrubbing the edge for sharpening. After forming both burrs it's edge leading. Mostly because I'm not so good at stropping passes. Can't seem to hit the same angle consistently lol. I firm both burrs, minimize on the same stone and then on all the others I still scrub but I stop feeling for a burr because now I'm just polishing. On the last stone it's edge leading alternating sides, lowering pressure and last couple passes I raise the angle to remove the burr

Birgersson feels like cheating. Really love this steel and the edge it takes. Did my normal full progression a few weeks ago (sg500, sp2k, aizu, bare leather). Made dinner a few nights with it since and this is after a touch up on a Maruoyama.

Fun test, makes me want to try some other steels/stones and see how they do with it.

Nope, just stropping on something, almost anything really.

Wouldn't recommend stropping on a chainsaw šŸ‘€
I'm really debating trying that deburr technique or sticking with what I've been doing coming off the stone razor sharp. Either way, next paper towel challenge I do I will have to use the strop. Does my smooth leather no compound strop even do anything?

Seeing all of these paper towel cuts makes me wanna sharpen. So I did just that. Knife is a cheap western stainless (x50 steel). I like messing around with it, it's my practice knife. The stone used to sharpen was the naniwa pro 400.

Straight off the naniwa pro 400.

And here's after stropping on a kitchen towel.

Plain paper does something. Leather is ever so slightly more abrasive than paper.
I'll have to practice my stropping passes then. I've always struggled with the angle going tip to heel. Always been afraid to roll the edge and figure it does nothing is the angle is too low

Working on shaping the bevels of this knife to my tastes. Just finished redoing the behind the edge convexity to my preference and decided to do some edge leading strops on a mid grit natural to remove the burr I formed off the 400 grit diamond.

Seeing all of these paper towel cuts makes me wanna sharpen. So I did just that. Knife is a cheap western stainless (x50 steel). I like messing around with it, it's my practice knife. The stone used to sharpen was the naniwa pro 400.

The NP400 is great with that steel. You obviously managed to fully deburr it which isn't that easy.

What is your sharpening and deburring method?

The NP400 is great with that steel. You obviously managed to fully deburr it which isn't that easy.
Maybe itā€™s not the right way to say this, but I just ā€œknowā€ the knife. Because itā€™s my practice/beater I have sharpened it multiple times on multiple stones so itā€™s easy to predict how it will behave. Now I try to link the levels of sharpness to the fingernail test.

Right now there is a lot of testing - deburring - testing - deburring ā€¦
I want to get to a point where I can feel the edge and with almost 100% certainty say ā€œfully deburred or notā€.

What is your sharpening and deburring method?
I stepped back from the edge leading from a couple of months ago. ( I think i posted in -burr removal-). I got ā€œokā€ to ā€œgoodā€ results with that, but for me it doesnā€™t feel natural. I think being able to visualize what is happening plays a huge role for me. And maybe the ā€œfearā€ of digging into the stone was the biggest factor as to why I dont like it.

So I switched back to a series of edge trailing and lateral strokes (exactly like Jon fron JKI). What I did keep from the edge leading experiment was the very low pressure.

Interesting. So after making some chicken curry for dinner tonight it wasnā€™t cutting PT how I like. So in the interest of my hand honing vs bench I broke out the TOS bout did a couple edge leading strokes and trailing strokes. No slurry just water hand honing. Then two strop strokes on news paper on counter edge. Dropped the whole way through. Sorry not a video guy.
IMG_1454.jpeg

Interesting. So after making some chicken curry for dinner tonight it wasnā€™t cutting PT how I like. So in the interest of my hand honing vs bench I broke out the TOS bout did a couple edge leading strokes and trailing strokes. No slurry just water hand honing. Then two strop strokes on news paper on counter edge. Dropped the whole way through. Sorry not a video guy.
View attachment 316723
Apparently ToS stones have the ability to not create burrs which is one reason it's was used on razors often. Looks like a white variety, nice.

Apparently ToS stones have the ability to not create burrs which is one reason it's was used on razors often. Looks like a white variety, nice.
You are correct and one of the things I like about them as a touch up stone too. The bout is what I have been using as a slurry stone on the 5lbs brick. Which is too big to hand hone with. The bout is a very hard fine razor finishing stone. I always had better skills hand honing razors and was curious if it maybe the same on knives.
I have a few TOS 7 or 8 not sure if any are actually WTOS though since they are either not labeled or the dual hones.
Wet and dry on the bout and the block.
IMG_0105.jpeg
IMG_0104.jpeg

You are correct and one of the things I like about them as a touch up stone too. The bout is what I have been using as a slurry stone on the 5lbs brick. Which is too big to hand hone with. The bout is a very hard fine razor finishing stone. I always had better skills hand honing razors and was curious if it maybe the same on knives.
I have a few TOS 7 or 8 not sure if any are actually WTOS though since they are either not labeled or the dual hones.
Wet and dry on the bout and the block.
View attachment 316784View attachment 316785
Me likey. I allways have wondered what the red paint was about, protect from water damage?. I have it the other way round, better at sharpening knives then razors. Currently waiting for a large handpicked grey ToS stone from dalmore estate for knives but the whites I have are no where near said grit rating maybe 8k max, infact I go as far to say all naturals are over rated in finish.

Back