Paring / fruit knife recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJDJ

Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations for a small paring / fruit knife. I am looking for something that is traditional Japanese, and hopefully from a maker of excellent reputation. It would be good if the knife had some resale value, should I ever choose to resell it. I do not want something cheap or mass market. My two other Japanese knives are from Watanabe and I dealt directly with Shin in order to obtain them. That was kind of a cool process. Shin does have some smaller pairing knives on offer, but the shape doesn't have me completely excited. I want to see what other options the forum might suggest.

KNIFE Type
Paring knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese WA, prefer octagonal

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
75-90mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No, but SS clad would probably be good. Would like something traditional looking.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$125-$300

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home use

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
I will use to pare strawberries and other fruit. Mostly hand work.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
None

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
NA

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics
Would prefer something traditional looking.

Comfort

Ease of Use and Care
I have 2 other Blue #2 knives, so I know what to expect

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Long edge retention

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
Wood, walnut end grain

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?
Probably yes, in time.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Possibly

It's not a Japanese but the top one is the best strawberry knife bar none. Butch came up with this one after I told him what I was looking for.

web.jpg

It's not a Japanese but the top one is the best strawberry knife bar none. Butch came up with this one after I told him what I was looking for.

web.jpg
Those look nice, particularly the smaller one. Where did you get them?

For strawberries and other in-hand work I really lean towards the French profile (often referred to as office knife); somewhat triangular with a pointy tip. But you don't really see a lot of those coming out of Japan. Most things sold as 'fruit knife' in Japan IMO are better for board work than in-hand work.

I'll jump on the Harner train. I love mine, use it every day. The smaller one he calls a "kitchen scalpel". Mine is the paring with the slimmer handle he does on the scalpel. Fantastic little knife. Nice weight in the handle makes it very comfortable to use in hand.

For in hand work i much prefer classic paring knives (EU origin?) where the blade does not protrude the handle. Less stress on the hand and thumb and more control IMHO.
Herder paring knives
i like sheepfoot profile but you may need a pointier blade for certain tasks.

I forgot to mention, the one I have doesn't look like the pic on JNS with a defined shinning. It's a no-frills little knife, thin, good steel, utilitarian. Mine weighs just 40g including the handle.View attachment 246905

I nearly bought the Kaeru 90mm from JNS (I actually ordered it, but canceled the order). I ended up going with a 105mm Yokishane in SKD (for acid resistance). I think I could have been very happy with the Kaeru, as I like its more pointy geometry over the less pointy traditional Japanese petty designs. This is the one category of knife where I prefer a Western profile over a Japanese one. I also decided I wanted a little more length for slightly larger chores - 105mm seemed to hit the sweet spot. For me, a 150 Petty is not something I'd be interested in - its too long for finer work, and I'd sooner use my Wat 165 Santoku and have some knuckle clearance. A 120mm is the end of the game for a petty I'd want to use.

https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=87936&bc=no

0.jpg

Latest posts

Back