Passaround: Kippington Chevron Hook Grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do.

@ian you're a math wiz, right? What would be faster? A Three Toed Sloth or AUS/US Post? Brisbane->San Francisco->Los Angeles. April 4th to May 23rd.

It’s a good question. I spent a while thinking about this and asked some of my colleagues. We decided that a sloth would likely die while traversing the ocean, but that before it did, it would look extremely badass swimming with a Chevron ground gyuto in its teeth.

Little preview. Liking it so far. Everything is where they fell.
20200524_155922.jpg
20200524_155922.jpg
20200524_153710.jpg
20200524_153751.jpg
20200524_155138.jpg
20200524_155246.jpg
20200524_155423.jpg
20200524_155557.jpg
20200524_155922.jpg

aww man, I'm excited. Was hoping for the WH to get here before to test side by side but I don't think that'll happen

yeah, there are a bunch of knives stuck in purgatory coming out of australia due to coronavirus. I think DHL is still shipping, not sure tho
AUS Post is shipping also. But I believe they are doing bulk shipments instead of constantly sending out... San Francisco customs was like 3-4 days.

AUS Post is shipping also. But I believe they are doing bulk shipments instead of constantly sending out... San Francisco customs was like 3-4 days.
Yeah I saw that they are shipping out those with priority shipping first, then the rest in order of when they were received. A friend of mine just got his Tansu after 40 days in purgatory. I'm at 30ish days now

How dare buck the trend and try to derail a thread!

but the chevrons look like the gravitationally 'lensed' light rays from beneath the far side of the accretion disk 😕

Maybe the chevrons contain small white holes which repel matter in the forward direction of time.
Giving me things to think about.

And here I was, big thought on my mind was "I swear someone said it would be a pain to clean the chevronned fish hook. It wasn't."

Hi guys, where can I read more guidelines about the passaround stuff? I would like to join another round, but I wonder what are the costs (ohh...those costs...always there to consider).

Hi guys, where can I read more guidelines about the passaround stuff? I would like to join another round, but I wonder what are the costs (ohh...those costs...always there to consider).

Depends on the particular passaround. For some, the only cost is shipping. Others require a small payment to the owner to make up for any use the knife undergoes, or to pay for a trip to a professional sharpener at the end. Any such cost, as well as any other guidelines, will be indicated in the OP.

Admittedly, everything I know about the US constitution was gleaned from Hollywoo so I could easily be wrong but... shouldn't that be the 5th? 🤔
I think he was pretending to be high and thus mis-quoting the constitution.

I read the US constitution once. It was quite interesting. Unfortunately, I've forgotten most of the details.

Thinking about it, I probably should read my own constitution.

IIRC, the chevron was pretty decent against carrots.

Shoulda done a video.

All I know about the US constitution is something about the limbs of animals from the Ursidae family.

That’s more than I know about the constitution of my own country.

Going off topic just gives provides more publicity for Kippington, right?

Ok, I got to use the knife for a week. 4 days at work and some use at home.

Opinion on looks and feelings:

Let me preface, I prefer knives on the lighter side.
Anyway, the knife looks very, "put together" for a prototype made from a leftover knife. Very comfortable in hand. This knife has some weight to it compared to my preference. But not overly heavy. Enough weight to let you know it's there. No sharp corners. Rounded spine and choil. Nice little finger relief also. Enough of that.

The money shot! A.K.A. Actual use:

The knife performed quite spectacularly for me. Stiction was pretty much non-existent. Food release was quite stellar. Take this example of me dicing an onion.

Melodramatic. But I think that's the point. How about my nemesis, the dreaded cold soaked peeled potato? Was it a disaster? You judge.

SUCCESS! The knife never faltered. Co-workers were impressed (turn up the volume if you can't hear them).

All in all, this knife was quite fantastic. Prototype is a success in my opinion.

Thanks for letting me use this knife @Kippington, it was worth the 1 1/2 month wait.

Awesome! Thanks for the review!

Reflecting on what you said about the weight, I agree and find this particular knife too tip heavy, which is understandably affecting the way many of us are using it (it slows movement down a bit). I wasn't too worried about that when I started the passaround. This happened to be a spare knife available at the time, and it's more about the grind than the overall knife, I guess. In the future I can adjust the weight to a more handle-balanced taper.

The thing with pro vs home-user opinions - I think a lot of the home users start by testing food release to its limits by cutting thin slices or dices of stuff which are not that much of a problem for a pro users to deal with. Not saying it's the wrong thing to do, but in terms of workflow, large heavy things sticking to the side of a knife (changing the balance) are the kind of thing that slows our rhythm down, affecting speed and consistency.

Just something I've thought about. Maybe it can be chalked up to a difference in priorities.

Last edited:
The weight wasn't an issue. Balance wasn't overly tip heavy, for me. The only time stuff really stuck for me, was the chili peppers slices and diced ginger. But that stuff sticks to just about everything except where you want it to go.

At least this didn't happen.
20200530_185210.jpg

That's a potato stuck to the side. Really stuck. Having to twist it off...

Back