Polishing knife to emphasize banding

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy! I have a Shiraki honyaki gyuto in Blue #1 (this one) that has been my daily driver for about eight months. (Don't worry, I'm very gentle :)

As the patina has developed, it's ended up with a sort of hazy gray that obscures the gorgeous banding and, to a lesser extent, the hamon. The surface still feels very smooth and it's still wicked thin behind the edge, so it doesn't need grinding, but I'd still like to polish it up a bit. Any suggestions for how best to make that alloy banding really pop?

Bar keepers friend will remove the patina lickety split. Then you can use fingerstones to bring back out the banding and hamon.

Bar keepers friend will remove the patina lickety split. Then you can use fingerstones to bring back out the banding and hamon.

Thanks, I'll give BKF a try and see how it looks with the patina stripped. I don't actually own any finger stones, so further polishing will have to wait until I acquire some :)

I don't know how to bring out the banding, but that's a seriously sweet daily driver!

I expected it to be mostly a display piece when I picked it up, but it's actually a really great working knife. It's super thin and light, nimble enough that it almost feels like a petty. It's especially fun with onions, pew pew!

You can also polish with a small felt pad (I use the round ones made for dremel tools - I slice them in half so they’re thinner ) I use dried mud from waterstones and windex as well as diamond paste. The mud from an 800 King stone gives a passable kasumi finsih

AD665E18-FC60-40F1-8096-E942C3956707.jpeg
1FD1E256-602E-4DDD-B6C0-43E49F4170A3.jpeg
51961F73-2AF5-413A-8B4F-D86265027DFE.jpeg

Have you tried any kind of polishing paste?
You can also polish with a small felt pad (I use the round ones made for dremel tools - I slice them in half so they’re thinner ) I use dried mud from waterstones and windex as well as diamond paste. The mud from an 800 King stone gives a passable kasumi finsih

I second this. Also simichrome seems to put a nice shine and final contrast close to original, if you desire this, as it removes patina. Keep in mind that it needs to be used in opened spaces and to wash the knife well after.

To be clear I used the felt pad as a fingerstone and polished with my fingertips - I did not use the power tool! I sanded the Kato heel to tip to get rid of the grind marks, some corrosion and scratches. I think started at 320 , stopping at 1200. Then I used the felt pad loaded with King 800 dried mud/windex- also going heel to tip. I’d say 15 minutes per side to polish. The sanding was tedious, I probably put in over an hour on each side. I also used a small felt pad/diamond paste on the core to minimize fine scratches

Ooh, this technique seems really promising. The only stone I have that builds significant mud is a Kitayama--I'm otherwise using a bunch of Shapton Pros, which have many virtues, but muddiness is not among them. The Kitayama abraisive is quite fine, but I guess the failure mode here would probably be "spent half an hour and didn't get anywhere", so I'll give it a whirl!

The technique works well on wrought iron clad knifes (like Halcyon Forge) to give the area of transition from iron to core (not sure if the correct term for this area of the blade) some pop

Wow, that really works! I used a blue shop towel (basically a heavy-duty paper towel) with thick pasty mud from my Kitayama; it cut right through the gray hazy layer and made the banding and hamon really pop again.

This was a few minutes' work with the towel:
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200417142920670_COVER.jpg

Obviously I'm not done, but I forgot to get a "before" picture so I wanted to get a shot that still had some of the gray haze for comparison.

Wow, that really works! I used a blue shop towel (basically a heavy-duty paper towel) with thick pasty mud from my Kitayama; it cut right through the gray hazy layer and made the banding and hamon really pop again.

Was this with the mud from an 8k Kitayama? Not sure if there's another grit available somewhere.

Can’t wait

This was a few minutes' work with the towel:
View attachment 77232

Obviously I'm not done, but I forgot to get a "before" picture so I wanted to get a shot that still had some of the gray haze for comparison.
to see the final product because this looks amazing already. Totally going to use this on the bevels has of a knife I have in the mail....

Any particular etchants you'd use for this? (Not that I have the mirror polish or fingerstone stages done yet, but it's nice to know specifically what I'm not attempting yet :))
Lemon juice! it's very mild so you can't really overdo it, vinegar works too but lemon juice reveals more details. Get the juice from a lemon and add a few drops of dish soap, to break the surface tension and make it etch more evenly, and wipe it on until you get a grayish patina. polish with loose abrasive. Rinse and repeat. Walter Sorrells does it this way, check out his swords.

Has anyone tried to use magic eraser to remove patina? I guess it have quite fine abrasive affect and should not scratch surface so much.
Yes, it work OK. About as well as using a fine rust eraser.

A few alternating cycles of lemon juice with soap to etch and a blue shop towel with King 800 mud to polish did great! There's still some darker areas that I'd like to clean up--I'll have to give the furniture pad trick a try--but the banding really jumps out now. Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200609193157003_COVER.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200609193110530_COVER.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200609193121309_COVER.jpg

Back