Preparing for COVID-19

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interestingly, the NYT is ignoring the mayor, and health commissioner, of NY city during the early stages of this viral issue telling everyone just to go out, do your normal things, hang out in China town live your normal life. It is not only federal response, but local that is totally incompetent.

Local here has been mixed but this is typically the kind of problem the federal government directs.

Local officials typically act on guidance from the federal government for disease outbreaks.I the federal guidance is slow or bad or wrong, it's politically pretty hard to ignore federal guidelines and go your own way.

It's like if your CEO tells you to do something that seems like a bad idea to you. Unless it is obviously a terrible idea you are almost certainly still going to do it.

International transmission of disease and testing of a brand new disease are federal issues that states have stepped up to solve on their own because the federal government is absconding from it's duty. That's why it's the focus.

The US is States first. Sadly that has been diluted a lot over the years, with some States relying on the Federal Gov't to give them a lot of money. That's they way the country was set up, and is intended to operate. Everyone wants to pass the buck on 'responsibility'. The fact is the US really hasn't done any worse than any other 1st world country that sees a lot of business and tourist travel. And some have much higher death rates per confirmed cases (France is close to 10%, Italy closer to 14%).

I think all you need is the loaded shotgun, and you can use it go get the other stuff from your neighbors whenever you need something :D

States like mine (NY) subsidize a lot of the states that like to claim personal responsibility. I'd happily see a real movement for state control and less federal spending. But that's not the world we live in.

States also cannot legally bar interstate commerce or the free movement of people between states, so in the case of a pandemic you kind of need a federal response.

I'm not sure closing borders between states would accomplish anything in areas where major population centers straddle two or more states (around here it's Virginia, Maryland and DC -- you cannot isolate those areas from each other because so many people with essential jobs live in one and work in the other). If the concept is you keep people from NYC from being able to flee all over the country, bringing the virus with them, then it is an okay concept. But you cannot enforce that in a free country.

Texas issued a 14 day Self quarantine order for Louisiana residents that cross the border. And they set up Corona screening Checkpoints. Seems unenforceable realistically. But the traffic back ups are supposedly really bad. I guess the point is to deter as many as possible from traveling.

Last edited:
States also cannot legally bar interstate commerce or the free movement of people between states, so in the case of a pandemic you kind of need a federal response.

The Feds wanted to quarantine NYC and New york local politicians (governor, mayor) wouldn't enforce it. They agreed to a non-mandatory travel advisory in stead.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/28/trump-new-york-quarantine-coronavirus-152812

Many of these cities/jurisdictions are notably "Sanctuary Cities" under local laws and don't respectpre-existing laws already in place regading the migrantion of peoples accross federal and local borders (eg immigration).

Texas issued a 14 day Self quarantine order for Louisiana residents that cross the border. And they set up Corona screening Checkpoints. Seems unenforceable realistically. But the traffic back ups are supposedly really bad. I guess the point is to deter as many as possible from traveling.

Same thing in florida with new yorkers. Also in Rhode Island, again with new yorkers.

I just came by to check in...sounds like folks are getting a bit grumpy/stir crazy so being that's usually my role, I'll just be sending everyone a positive vibe and wish all a better day tomorrow:)

Cheers

Last edited:
The whole "people don't need masks" stories that came from WHO, governments, etc was nothing but ******** and I knew it. All the nurses pasting freaking essays on facebook about how people don't know how to wear masks anyway - blue-collar parroting of political lies and misinformation. All the people sharing, retweeting, etc the misinformation because their own brain lacks critical thinking - this is why I am anti-social. For real.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/02/825200206/doctors-say-hospitals-are-stopping-them-from-wearing-masks

That's quite some story!

I guess this is what you get when there is no over-arching co-ordinated plan for dealing with a pandemic, when states and hospitals can individually set their own strategy, when it is legally impossible for states to close their borders, and when the messaging from different levels of government is contradictory.

We know what happens when the virus is allowed to spread. Plenty of instructional examples around: USA, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, etc. And yet, a lot of people still think that denial will make the problem go away, even past the point where it has become bleedingly obvious that inaction is causing a catastrophe.

Honestly I think a lot of the anti-mask stuff is partially racist.

Asians have worn masks when they're sick for decades. Chinese and Japanese research has shown that wearing a mask massively decreases risk of spreading illnesses that are transmitted through droplets and coughing and yet it remains an "asian" thing rather than just common decency here in the US.

Doctor friend of mine who sews started knocking out reusable masks to distribute to friends the first week of March (of course I was infected by then :(). And said... WE ALL NEED TO DO WHAT ASIA DOES.

Yet our president and many local leaders STILL don't want to push mask wearing hard. Crazy, crazy.

Honestly I think a lot of the anti-mask stuff is partially racist.

Asians have worn masks when they're sick for decades. Chinese and Japanese research has shown that wearing a mask massively decreases risk of spreading illnesses that are transmitted through droplets and coughing and yet it remains an "asian" thing rather than just common decency here in the US.

Doctor friend of mine who sews started knocking out reusable masks to distribute to friends the first week of March (of course I was infected by then :(). And said... WE ALL NEED TO DO WHAT ASIA DOES.

Yet our president and many local leaders STILL don't want to push mask wearing hard. Crazy, crazy.

I feel uncomfortable calling out those not wearing masks as racists. For me I worry it makes me less attractive;).

Sorry I don't think the general public is racist. I think the reluctance or disregard of masks as a viable ( and very low cost) public health concern by officials is rooted in racism. I think most people in the US don't wear the masks because they have never been taught or told to do so and for no other reason.

Sorry I don't think the general public is racist. I think the reluctance or disregard of masks as a viable ( and very low cost) public health concern by officials is rooted in racism. I think most people in the US don't wear the masks because they have never been taught or told to do so and for no other reason.

Agreed. Plus our history as a country shows that we don't react well to being told what to do by the government.

I went shopping for groceries the other say and was the only one with a mask.

The stuff in Louisiana is crazy. I believe they have some of the highest infection rates in the country per capita and it's not 1/4 as dense as NYC. Just enormous failures at all levels of government and community leadership.

The stuff in Louisiana is crazy. I believe they have some of the highest infection rates in the country per capita and it's not 1/4 as dense as NYC. Just enormous failures at all levels of government and community leadership.
and people. Big failure of actual individual people to ignore what has been happening all around the world.

Can't talk about ineptitude of leadership handling Coronavirus in a non-political way?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to see where I crossed the line.

Generally speaking, people in Western countries relate face-covering with strongly negative emotions or traits - Wearers appear be hiding something, or are sometimes hostile.

Think of celebs trying to hide from photographers, violent protesters in masks, the Islamic burqa, robbers wearing balaclavas, etc.

Some other cultures don't have such strong predispositions to face-covering, but I don't expect it to catch on so well in Western countries, if history is anything to go by. It's not like this kind of thing hasn't happened before.
bahrain-april-2012.jpg

Thought that was just an objective fact, not politics. But will hold my tung moving forward.

Can't talk about ineptitude of leadership handling Coronavirus in a non-political way?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to see where I crossed the line.

I'm sure it doesn't help clarity that the mod team has been especially lenient regarding posts in the Corno threads. Much of what has been posted here is bumping the "no politics" rules and has been allowed to stand. But trying to attribute this mess to either party or any individual is crossing the line. Even the new and improved line.

I will be glad to agree with you about ineptitude of leadership on reddit or a host of other venues. But we might disagree as to which leadership that applies to.

Back