Pretty places

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's my friend Alvin's board from old photo. The water hides the blue round nose. If remember around 7'4"
China Walls point wrap.

One of my boards used a lot 6'2 Schaper. Liked it fast long enough to paddle out for my weight low volume nose easy to duck dive.
View attachment 286654
nice, a bit small for me, mines a 9 ft 5 rounded pin, not that I've used it in a few years. The waves are not overly consistent at Bournemouth pier! And I'm getting old!

I here yah. Since I got malignant melanoma on my ear from spending my life in the sun. Don't surf anymore.

DamasPork I had a Ben Apia 5'10" three fin thruster back in the day.

I'm sure you had quite a few boards

I here yah. Since I got malignant melanoma on my ear from spending my life in the sun. Don't surf anymore.

DamasPork I had a Ben Apia 5'10" three fin thruster back in the day.

I'm sure you had quite a few boards
A couple of my highs school surf buddies had Aipas, I used to go to his shop on Waialae ave, it wan't far from my grandma’s house. I never had an Aipa, back in the day I REALLY WANTED either a Dick Brewer, or a Lightning Bolt. Still have my circa 70s surfboards in my dad's tool shed.

One of my favorite places. Gibbs gardens in Ball Ground, Ga about 25 minute drive from my house.
The Japanese gardens look like you are standing in a watercolor. Simply amazing!
20220903_095442.jpg

PXL_20230429_144726047.jpg
20220903_100928.jpg
20181118_153941.jpg

Was in Kyoto for 9 days in 1991. Got guide book in English for the gardens & Temples. Would read about places I would go to next day. Golden Pavilion remember well. It was magical for me. I had won ice carving competition for second year in Hawaii. Wanted to see Kyoto knew it was ancient capital of Japan for 1,000 years. So I went early to see Kyoto before flying up to Hokaido for world Ice Carving competition.

Kyoto was on bombing list in ww2.
It was a couple of Americans that knew of its cultural importance. Henry Stimson secretary of war was one of them got Truman to take it off the list even though it had military industry. Least we forget two cities were destroyed by Little Boy & Fatman beginning of atomic age.

How many countries now have nuclear capabilities. How close we came during Cuban Missile crisis.

We aren't out of the woods yet as long as they are stockpiled.

Was in Kyoto for 9 days in 1991. Got guide book in English for the gardens & Temples. Would read about places I would go to next day. Golden Pavilion remember well. It was magical for me. I had won ice carving competition for second year in Hawaii. Wanted to see Kyoto knew it was ancient capital of Japan for 1,000 years. So I went early to see Kyoto before flying up to Hokaido for world Ice Carving competition.

Kyoto was on bombing list in ww2.
It was a couple of Americans that knew of its cultural importance. Henry Stimson secretary of war was one of them got Truman to take it off the list even though it had military industry. Least we forget two cities were destroyed by Little Boy & Fatman beginning of atomic age.

How many countries now have nuclear capabilities. How close we came during Cuban Missile crisis.

We aren't out of the woods yet as long as they are stockpiled.
I only just missed you! I was last there in 1997. I mainly went back to Kyoto this year, as My pic of the Kinkaku-ji which I took with an "APS" camera (that fad didn't last long) back then has gotten a bit faded.

I think we need to see some of your ice carving!

(not quite sure how we went for "look nice pavillion" to Nuclear war) But it is a bit depressing that "mutually assured destruction" is the best we can come up with. And the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombing will hopefully be the last, not convinced it was completely necessary/justified, but the loss of both allied and Japanese life from an invasion would have been horrific, and would have probably gone on for another 4 years. Probably a conversation for a different more depressing thread, this one is supposed to cheer us up.

Be interested to seem more of your surfing clips to. this is about the only clip of me that I've found (no idea who took it) If you look carefully, you can see the rising sun on the deck.

This was on my Kyoto must see list after the Kankaku-Ji. It plays with perspective to make it look bigger than it is, and you can't ever see all the stones at the same time, regardless of where you sit.

The wall is made of clay mixed with oil, which is what gives it the pattern.

And not a single leaf on the gravel!

Ryoan-Ji

IMG20231010113306.jpg

I only just missed you! I was last there in 1997. I mainly went back to Kyoto this year, as My pic of the Kinkaku-ji which I took with an "APS" camera (that fad didn't last long) back then has gotten a bit faded.

I think we need to see some of your ice carving!

(not quite sure how we went for "look nice pavillion" to Nuclear war) But it is a bit depressing that "mutually assured destruction" is the best we can come up with. And the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombing will hopefully be the last, not convinced it was completely necessary/justified, but the loss of both allied and Japanese life from an invasion would have been horrific, and would have probably gone on for another 4 years. Probably a conversation for a different more depressing thread, this one is supposed to cheer us up.

Be interested to seem more of your surfing clips to. this is about the only clip of me that I've found (no idea who took it) If you look carefully, you can see the rising sun on the deck.

Yes got on tangent. WW2 history always interested me. Just thought how Kyoto is a worldwide treasure
That was on list to be bombed.

Ice carving of Dragon for Kahala Hilton 25th anniversary. Also did tallow sculptures centerpieces on buffet lines.
20231208_114352.jpg
20231208_115354.jpg

One of my favorite places. Gibbs gardens in Ball Ground, Ga about 25 minute drive from my house.
The Japanese gardens look like you are standing in a watercolor. Simply amazing!
View attachment 286729

View attachment 286731View attachment 286732View attachment 286733
After seeing these pictures looked up Gibbs Gardens he was a award winning landscape artist. Ran landscaping business. Found place with good water source. The park & Manor house is huge considered one of best in USA. Thanks for sharing.

Yes got on tangent. WW2 history always interested me. Just thought how Kyoto is a worldwide treasure
That was on list to be bombed.

Ice carving of Dragon for Kahala Hilton 25th anniversary. Also did tallow sculptures centerpieces on buffet lines.
View attachment 286832View attachment 286833

If you fancy a bit of light reading. these two help explain how the Japanese used Zen Budhism (a philosopy of peace) to basically brainwash the entire population into believing it was a good idea to kill and die for the glory of the Emperor. Bit long winded in places but a bit of an eye opener.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zen-War-2nd-Peace-Library/dp/0742539261https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stories-Ro...60-83ac-a4a7d9b39c09&pd_rd_i=0700715819&psc=1

After seeing these pictures looked up Gibbs Gardens he was a award winning landscape artist. Ran landscaping business. Found place with good water source. The park & Manor house is huge considered one of best in USA. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, he and his wife still live in the manor house and his landscaping business is still huge in the North Georgia area.
I have had season passes for years now and it one of my daughter's favorite places to go.
1000002048.jpg

Last edited:
Had to do a bit of mountian hiking in the early morning hours of my Anniversary a few years back to the back side of Achill Island. Nestled in the shadow of Croaghaun mountain (668m) and accessible only on foot or by boat, is Annagh. This local beauty spot is protected on three sides by steep cliffs, while the fourth side looks out onto Blacksod Bay. The freshwater lake at Annagh is Lough Nakeeroge East which, at just 16m above sea level, is the lowest corrie lake in Ireland. The first pic with sheep is where I started the journey.
Corrysheep.jpeg

IMG_1736.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1677.JPG
Corrylow.jpeg
Corryocean.jpeg

Stelvio is BIG fun in the proper car, I recommend a Lotus Elise S or something similarly nimble and light for that one!
Been there done that in the Elise and later in an Audi S6 and the Elise won by more than a nose length!

Proper cars for carving mountain roads. Not as exotic, when we had the inter island ferry. We took Janice Subaru Forrester (Forresters) were smaller back then. Maui to top of Haleakala to view the stars at night through telescope at 10,000 feet. She didn't want to drive at night so I did plenty switchbacks. Up & down the mountain I really liked the handling of all wheel drive Forrester.

Back