Quality Olive Oil?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the only thing I do to maintain EVOO freshness is using it like mad, in everything, for everything like there is no tomorrow....rather, nexy year , when the new harvest comes in.

Straight outta Costco! I think I have like 12 of these now, I grab couple every now and then I take a trip to Costco! Hands down to Asaro/Partanna! Best out there! Costco had a yellow label Tuscany olive oil in 1 Litre bottle. That one was good too, but Paesanol and/or Partanna is very good. If u want to spend a bit more, get the monoclonal organic Partanna variety!

Attachments

• 8F9837CE-0EF1-40FC-A58A-03118435BD98.jpeg
    8F9837CE-0EF1-40FC-A58A-03118435BD98.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • F60C95CF-8388-4F55-91FB-DD091BA828C3.jpeg
    F60C95CF-8388-4F55-91FB-DD091BA828C3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Straight outta Costco! I think I have like 12 of these now, I grab couple every now and then I take a trip to Costco! Hands down to Asaro/Partanna! Best out there! Costco had a yellow label Tuscany olive oil in 1 Litre bottle. That one was good too, but Paesanol and/or Partanna is very good. If u want to spend a bit more, get the monoclonal organic Partanna variety!
I don't remember seeing that one. Of course, I don't look now as I switched a while back. How much is a gallon of it? I was buying the green bottles at Costco and they were $21.99 for 2 liters. I use about a gallon in 7 or 8 months at home.

I looked online and I don't see the 2 olive oils you are showing.

Last edited:
I don't remember seeing that one. Of course, I don't look now as I switched a while back. How much is a gallon of it? I was buying the green bottles at Costco and they were $19 or $20 a liter. I use about a gallon in 7 or 8 months at home.
I have seen it only recently last 2-3 months. The green plastic bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 gal) might be OK to cook with it (Have that one too), but I dont use it cold in salads or elsewhere. I prefer this brand and some other. I should say Olive Oil to me is like Wine is to Sommeliers! LOL Here’s a couple I have!

Attachments

• 8F447987-1FF3-45EC-BADE-48BD9CA64C70.jpeg
    8F447987-1FF3-45EC-BADE-48BD9CA64C70.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 0
the only thing I do to maintain EVOO freshness is using it like mad, in everything, for everything like there is no tomorrow....rather, nexy year , when the new harvest comes in.
+1

I have seen it only recently last 2-3 months. The green plastic bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 gal) might be OK to cook with it (Have that one too), but I dont use it cold in salads or elsewhere. I prefer this brand and some other. I should say Olive Oil to me is like Wine is to Sommeliers! LOL Here’s a couple I have!
The Costco green Extra Virgin olive oil is 2 liters not gal and I only used it for cooking. The Bragg is better tasting so I switched to it for cooking. I use other olive oils for salads. I have some Texas olive as well as others for tasting. I bought the Partanna last and I like it a lot.

I am not too crazy about that Kirkland oil but it has been many years since I tasted it last.

I will look at Costco when I go next. I will buy some if I see it.

Last edited:
The Costco green Extra Virgin olive oil is 2 liters not gal and I only used it for cooking. I bought the Partanna last and I like it a lot.
Yes you right, 2L! My bad lol. Partanna is very good quality! I like it alot too but need to try the monoclonal variety version too. Have not heard about Bragg! But I try not to switch from italian olives. I also have heard good things about the California Ranch evoo too! Have not tried it yet!

Yes you right, 2L! My bad lol. Partanna is very good quality! I like it alot too but need to try the monoclonal variety version too. Have not heard about Bragg! But I try not to switch from italian olives. I also have heard good things about the California Ranch evoo too! Have not tried it yet!
I have had some Greek olive oil that I like. I just don't remember the name. A couple of my Texas oils are nice. At least they are very fresh if you go buy them when they are pressing it.

I have had the California olive oil in the green square bottle. It is nice but too expensive for cooking and not as good as these other olive oils I buy now.
I was in Napa last year and I had a great olive oil at a high-end restaurant that I could not find before I left.

Last edited:
One of my favorites is Unio, Spanish, made from Arbequina olives. Unfortunately can't find it in New Zealand, but used to get it in the States. No matter the brand, I always check the harvest date and buy as fresh as possible. This usually means switching between Northern and Southern hemisphere olive oils depending on which harvest was more recent.
Unio.jpg

I was at Costo tonight and there were no olive oils like what you are showing. Just what they list online. Enjoy it while you can.

Howdy KKF,

What are your recommendations for good quality olive oils? I'm mostly interested here in finishing vs. cooking. Dressings, drizzling over pasta, bread, etc.
If you were to care about polyphenol content then the newly bottled 2023 Bariani
Howdy KKF,

What are your recommendations for good quality olive oils? I'm mostly interested here in finishing vs. cooking. Dressings, drizzling over pasta, bread, et

For cooking I use Il Casolare organic extra virgin olive oil, since when it's on sale it's costs the same as lesser quality oil. So I buy in bulk every six months or so. In case I've run out of the nice high quality oil, it's actually good enough to be used as finishing oil.

casolare_organic_uk.png

For quality "finishing" olive oil there is a Danish farming family living in Beja Portugal who grow olives and make their own oil, and it's really nice. It's called K. Larsen Gourmet. A farm shop close to where I live know the family and get fresh stocks whenever available.

klarsen_2.jpg
90b87024b622e90.png

I really liked it - it was like a wine bottle in that it had a cork - all 3 bottles I ordered are finished. Very satisfied!

Did the car ever arrive?

lavialla does mail order in Germany since they started, figuring that the competition within Italy and Spain was too big of a hurdle.

lavialla does mail order in Germany since they started, figuring that the competition within Italy and Spain was too big of a hurdle.
Just placed an order for 1.5L of the oil and threw in a couple of bottles of their aged balsamic vinegar too which looks to pass the gloopy test.

we usually order here..no.23 and no.3 are our favourites...and of course the primario, i.e. the unfiltered first pressing, which is only available in very small quantities once a year

Don't have any specific brand recommendations, but my general observations from when I dug into this a few years ago:

-I don't see any reason to buy anything but good extra virgin olive oil. By the time olive oil is processed and filtered enough to withstand higher temperatures any of its taste and health benefits are gone and you might as well use any other high temperature product like peanut oil, rice oil, clarified butter, etc.
-If you want to fry in EVOO, make sure it doesn't get too hot as the oil doesn't stand up well to that.
-Most of the stuff sold as EVOO in supermarkets (at least over here) is still garbage, so don't just let that guide you.
-Good oil doesn't necessarily have to cost a fortune, I normally use a canned brand that's similarly priced to supermarket stuff but it's simply miles better.
-In the end it is somewhat personal preference which oil you prefer taste-wise, so it can help to just experiment a bit and see what you like.
-Ideally buy from a place that has a decent turnover since good oil doesn't have an unlimited shelf life.ou
In reference to your notion that you might as well use any other high temperature oil and health benefits.

OLIVE OIL FOR HEALTH

It’s not just the polyphenols: olive oil's health benefits begin with oleic acid.​

https://www.aboutoliveoil.org/oleic-acid

Don't have any specific brand recommendations, but my general observations from when I dug into this a few years ago:

-I don't see any reason to buy anything but good extra virgin olive oil. By the time olive oil is processed and filtered enough to withstand higher temperatures any of its taste and health benefits are gone and you might as well use any other high temperature product like peanut oil, rice oil, clarified butter, etc.
-If you want to fry in EVOO, make sure it doesn't get too hot as the oil doesn't stand up well to that.
-Most of the stuff sold as EVOO in supermarkets (at least over here) is still garbage, so don't just let that guide you.
-Good oil doesn't necessarily have to cost a fortune, I normally use a canned brand that's similarly priced to supermarket stuff but it's simply miles better.
-In the end it is somewhat personal preference which oil you prefer taste-wise, so it can help to just experiment a bit and see what you like.
-Ideally buy from a place that has a decent turnover since good oil doesn't have an unlimited shelf life.
In reference to your notion that most stuff sold as EVOO in supermarkets is still garbage.

Olive oil composition​

EU olive oil legislation defines the different categories of olive oils and olive-pomace pomace oils, as well as the relevant methods of analyses to be used by Member States’ control authorities. The legislation includes marketing standards that must be followed to label different categories of olive oil. European legislation is in line with standards of the International Olive Council (IOC)

Sales of fake or falsely declared olive oil in Europe are prevented through routine inspections. Each European country must perform a certain number of checks to ensure that marketing standards for olive oils are respected. In Italy, for example, the authorities work on an ongoing basis to stop olive oil fraud and protect the reputation of the country’s EVOO. They deploy customs and police officers and even have police tasters trained to taste-check olive oil. Spain has meanwhile introduced a new set of laws aimed at building trust. The legislation is called ‘The future of the olive oil sector in Spain’ and contains six measures:

• A ban on mixing different categories of olive oils or blending olive oil with other vegetable oils;
  • A ban on using the terms ‘virgin’ and ‘extra virgin’ for anything other than olive oils;
  • A ban on refining or deodorising products in mills;
  • The introduction of anti-topping caps in restaurants;
  • A ban on selling olive oil packages larger than five litres directly to consumers;
  • A new digital registry.

-Ideally buy from a place that has a decent turnover since good oil doesn't have an unlimited shelf life.
Many of the EVOOs available in the largest grocery store chain in the Netherlands are very famous common brands of EVOO that would risk millions in profits if their reputation for having a genuine product was ruined. Couldn't be easier to get at least reasonably good genuine EVOO in the Netherlands.

https://www.ah.nl/producten/pasta-r...olie-voor-koud-gebruik/olijfolie-extra-vierge

Just because it's genuine EVOO and a big brand doesn't mean it can't be mediocre. And their pricing is terrible. But Dutch consumers have incredibly low standards...
Maybe I'm spoiled because I have access to restaurant wholesalers.

In reference to your notion that you might as well use any other high temperature oil and health benefits.

OLIVE OIL FOR HEALTH

It’s not just the polyphenols: olive oil's health benefits begin with oleic acid.​

https://www.aboutoliveoil.org/oleic-acid
The health benefits apply to raw EVOO. But I've seen many an educated chemist recommend against using EVOO for high temperature applications.
Filtering might reduce some of the problems but tends to also take most of the health benefits out, and frankly I've always found it incredibly underwhelming in taste. So far that reason I either use EVOO or a high temp oil...
I'm not saying you should just use any other high temperature oil either, but that's its own can of worms.
Not sure the Olive Oil Association is the most biased source either. ;)

The health benefits apply to raw EVOO. But I've seen many an educated chemist recommend against using EVOO for high temperature applications.
Filtering might reduce some of the problems but tends to also take most of the health benefits out, and frankly I've always found it incredibly underwhelming in taste. So far that reason I either use EVOO or a high temp oil...
I'm not saying you should just use any other high temperature oil either, but that's its own can of worms.
Not sure the Olive Oil Association is the most biased source either. ;)

In reference to your comments on high heat cooking with EVOO and the destruction of health benefits from heat. As to the NAOOA being biased they often present a scientific reference of some sort that people can check out themselves.

Why olive oil is the best oil for frying Why olive oil is the best oil for frying

Here are a number of articles about using EVOO for cooking one of which talks about a USDA recommendation for using OO for deep frying. These articles include discussion and scientific references as to smoke point, retention of health properties of OO even after cooking with it, comparison to other oil ... Once again anyone can check or at least try to check for the science. One great reference in general for published peer reviewed heath related science is PUBMED.

Cooking with olive oil. North American Olive Oil Association

I use a lot of olive oil for cooking. But I don't fry in it. I use vegetable oil for frying. I fry very little. I use peanut oil for Chinese food.
Some dishes we use Avocado oil in. My wife likes it.

Back