Recipe Requested Recipe that uses fresh wasabi stems / or fresh wasabi leaves?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been gifted a hamper that includes a small quantity of fresh wasabi plant. I know what to do with the root, but I don't know where to start with what to do with the stems and leaves.
Anyone have any recipes that use either fresh wasabi stems or fresh wasabi leaves?
I've been googling a bit, but of the few recipes that I've found, I've no idea what's worth trying (given the small quantity).
All recommendations or suggestions welcomed!

PS. Yes, I know it's a long shot, given it's such uncommon produce.....

I've been gifted a hamper that includes a small quantity of fresh wasabi plant. I know what to do with the root, but I don't know where to start with what to do with the stems and leaves.
Anyone have any recipes that use either fresh wasabi stems or fresh wasabi leaves?
I've been googling a bit, but of the few recipes that I've found, I've no idea what's worth trying (given the small quantity).
All recommendations or suggestions welcomed!

PS. Yes, I know it's a long shot, given it's such uncommon produce.....

https://www.realwasabi.com/pages/pickled-wasabi-leaves-and-stems

Lemme know how it turns out!

Well it's been an experience......
The stems are kind of like a very thin celery stalk that tastes a bit like horseradish, in that they're a little fibrous, and while they have a high moisture content, they're not juicy.
The leaves are kind of like a small slightly fibrous water lily pad / leaf and have a more vegetal flavor with a milder pepperiness.
The recipe was a bit of a learning exercise for me. The moisture content in the stems particularly seems to be a bit bitter, so the preparation in the pickle with the salting and scrunching appears to be designed to get most of that moisture out before the seasonings (that's probably something that I didn't do as well as I could have). The seasoning itself is fine, but the whole thing just essentially becomes a kind of horseradish teriyaki, which is fine as a condiment, but it's not really a stand out pickle in its own right, say like a cucumber / soy / sesame pickle.
The leaves are very pretty though and probably have greater visual appeal.

Anyway, it's been worth a crack. Thanks for the suggestion.

Including photos of the pretty wasabi leaves :

F99A1753-D1CD-4CF7-82B4-1003322CB0F9.jpegDF209EFD-ECA7-4133-8F1A-2AC7EE97F738.jpeg

PS. This wasabi hamper I got had some jarred wasabi cherries, which are amazing. It’s like a chutney all in the one bite; sweet, savoury and spicy all in one. A must try if you see them anywhere.

That makes sense with the salting. Congrats on your leaf-to-root cookery! Perhaps a longer pickle using an American recipe, as with Texas style‘pickled okra’? That’s what I’d probably end up playing with. The fibrous characteristic of the stems sounds challenging; flavors seem a good fit with Japanese pub food (izakaya) IMHO. I’ve also seen pics of the leaves as tempura.

One of my favorite restaurants in Japan did a really great wasabi soba.

Nothing crazy - just soba with grated wasabi root for the broth and tempura leaves on top! Parts of the stems were used raw as a garnish.

I’d have never thought of a wasabi soda!
I reckon a stem and leaf might be pretty great garnishes in a Bloody Mary though. The pepperiness and crunch would probably complement it fairly well.

Back