Recommend me a counter top knife stand

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New house, new kitchen, but no great spot for a wall-mounted mag bar, so I'm thinking of switching to a counter top knife stand. Anyone got any recommendations? I'd want one that can hold at least 4 knives, probably a 270 suji, 240 gyuto, a 210 gyuto, and a 180 gyuto. Bigger is okay too but worst comes to worst I have space for a small mag bar for bread knife, a couple petties, parer.

I have one from Amazon. It works well. The main issue with these is that none I’ve found really accommodate longer knives. 210 is about the max before risking bottoming the tip or having a lot of knife over the top. I mitigated this by installing an extension block on the bottom. It now comfortably holds 240s. I use mag strips now, this block lives next to my sharpening station to hold knives I’m working on.

(Very old picture).

1698775778577.jpeg

If you have the headspace space and the need to store a bunch of knives, it's hard to beat the 360 Knife Block Max. I have the original one and it's great (though not the best at storing multiple smaller knives per side). I would have gotten the Pro if it were available. It's tall though.

For your smaller knives or overflow from whatever counter based option, these work nicely under cabinets or small spots on a wall. They'll hold a 240 gyuto comfortably as far as magnet strength goes

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Kni..._aw_ci_mcx_mh_bia_pd_aw_ci_mcx_mh_bia_1_sc_mp
I use them for small knives under my cabinet or on my office wall since I didn't want buy another big fancy mag rack. Background of the pic but you get the idea

20230805_131942.jpg

20221216_125647.jpg

I was going to suggest Ikea Reträtt... the 13 euro Ikea knifeblock that can actually fit 270s (as long as they don't run long), and multiple of them at that... but for some weird reason it's not being sold in the US. But it's without joking prety much the best affordable knife block I've seen so far.

https://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/p/retratt-messenblok-berken-10066670/

If you have the headspace space and the need to store a bunch of knives, it's hard to beat the 360 Knife Block Max. I have the original one and it's great (though not the best at storing multiple smaller knives per side). I would have gotten the Pro if it were available. It's tall though.

“go ahead, buy the fancy knife”

Ok, don’t mind if I do!

Height was an issue for me. These work well, are cheap, fit up to 250mm, and can be torched if you prefer a darker finish. Mine eventually ended up trimmed a tad, and fit in a smaller drawer.
Check amazon for in drawer knife rack , $20

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231031_183850_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231031_183850_Chrome.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have this exact one. I like it for 80% of my knives.
My problem is that if the handle to tip is 270mm+ the tip stabs the bottom. So it doesn’t fit a 270 edge.
It also is only ~55mm wide so I can’t fit my taller knives in there

Edit - I also have to move it every time I pull a knife out since it sits under a cabinet & there isn’t enough clearance. But that’s 100% dependent on location and layout of your kitchen lol

Won’t hold a 270 (i keep those in a drawer) but this was a great solution for me as my wife didn’t want knives on magnets on the full walls and I didn’t like the magnet strips between the counter and cabinets (not tall enough). picked up 2 and stuck then side by side.

they are from jones but if you order from cktg, they were a lot cheaper!

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpeg
    IMG_0575.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

thanks for this recommendation, I ended up getting the 360 KB max in ebonized walnut (matched the cabinets, etc). Works and looks great! Super solid and well constructed. Right now it's loaded with the following and it all fits perfectly: 270 mac bread, 270 blazen suji, 240 blazen gyuto, 210 blazen gyuto, 180 takamura gyuto, 180 ashi petty, 150 takamura petty, 135 takamura petty, and vic parer. Very pleased!

2-View-2.png

4-View-4.png

3-View-3.png

thanks for this recommendation, I ended up getting the 360 KB max in ebonized walnut (matched the cabinets, etc). Works and looks great! Super solid and well constructed. Right now it's loaded with the following and it all fits perfectly: 270 mac bread, 270 blazen suji, 240 blazen gyuto, 210 blazen gyuto, 180 takamura gyuto, 180 ashi petty, 150 takamura petty, 135 takamura petty, and vic parer. Very pleased!

2-View-2.png

4-View-4.png

3-View-3.png
Nice! Perfect excuse to buy a few more knives to fill out the middle slots.

Back