Sharpening set-up at home

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay so I'm wondering what is everyone's set-ups at home? I've gone through a few and I just haven't found my sweet spot.

So you don't have to bother reading the entire thing below. Basically I want to figure out what you guys have as home sharpening set-ups.

What I've done:
1. Sink set-up
- I have a tojiro sink bridge which I love, I also have the Naniwa Sink bridge which is also good.
- My main complaint is the clean up everything around the sink and a little annoying since need to wipe down the sink, the surrounding surface. (again I admit, I'm a bit of a germaphobe).

2. sharpening pod thing..
- I just got a shallow plastic tray thing off amazon (Saw it on ryky's videos - don't hang me for this) and I fill it with water and throw the sink bridge on it.
Complaints: again clean up is more work (is there a trend here) - gotta fill, cary and empty the container. wipe everything down. slightly better than the sink.

3. towel on table.
- I throw down a damp towel, use the suehiro small stone holder.
Complaint - this is the best I have used so far in terms of just clean-up ease. but it sets my germaphobia off little since i just use the same towel (see side) and don't bother cleaning it.

Full sized sheet pan, to contain the mess.
Kasfly bridge extended to the short edges of the pan, spanning closest to me and farthest from me.
Spray bottle of water (and a little drip bottle of oil, for oilstones)
Sink nearby for rinsing off knives and stones

I don't try to keep it all pristine, but a couple of paper towels after a sharpening session keeps the mess sort of in check. Slurry is not the worst cleaner in the world.

I use a waterproof rubber dog food mat that I roll out, cleaned soy sauce dispenser, and a table whetstone holder. Total cost of above like 15 bucks. The cost of the stones however….

Just remember to have some sort of bucket nearby to pour excess water from the doggie mat into. Don’t try to carry the doggie mat to sink with water dripping.

I work on the corner of the kitchen bench. A silicone biscuit tray contains the mess and minimises slippage.

Stone holder (Suehiro) or Kasfly if required.

I have a high quality sink bridge (same maker as Kasfly) but never got used to using it.

Last edited:
I do my thinning work on an outdoor table, so my setup is grippy shelf liner -> plastic ikea tray (TILLGÅNG?) - > whetstone holder.
I use a low (15cm) rectangular tub next to this for soaker/cleaning duty.
For lubricant water I use a 250ml plastic bottle which I pushed a nail through the lid to make it a squirt bottle.

For sharpening/touch ups I can't bring myself to risk the quartz benches so do grip liner - > stone holder on top of the washing machine. The small amount of sediment doesn't concern me so rinsing is done in the trough.

I've found what works best for me is two bricks stacked ontop of a kitchen sink counter (the metal surface that drains directly into the sink). I put stone directly on a wet towel or kitchen foil ontop of the bricks. I find this gives a comfortable height and clearance and contains spills.

I do sometimes wonder if the runaway slurry sediment would cause any issues with plumbing, but I havn't experienced issues any yet. If I'm using SiC grit to flatten I use a large plastic storage box, and use bricks and granite plate to make a table/surface inside the box. Afterwards I empty the box into a corner of the garden.

I throw a microfiber towel next to the sink and get it a little damp. It stays tight in place with the weight of the stones and catches most of the mud while still being close to faucet. Towel can just go in the wash or be handwashed if you're worried about sediment in your pipes. Grocery store clerk squishy mat to stand on.

You're going to wipe down/decon the work area anyways so not sure the germaphobia should be at play unless you leave the towel wet for days which...don't. Though I understand it being annoying to make sure no stone slurry is all over the sink from washing stones.
Always wanted a sink bridge but also like the towel taking some of the sediment where I can just hose it off and get the majority deposited outside before washing.

20230804_183252.jpg

I throw a microfiber towel next to the sink and get it a little damp. It stays tight in place with the weight of the stones and catches most of the mud while still being close to faucet. Towel can just go in the wash or be handwashed if you're worried about sediment in your pipes. Grocery store clerk squishy mat to stand on.

You're going to wipe down/decon the work area anyways so not sure the germaphobia should be at play unless you leave the towel wet for days which...don't. Though I understand it being annoying to make sure no stone slurry is all over the sink from washing stones.
Always wanted a sink bridge but also like the towel taking some of the sediment where I can just hose it off and get the majority deposited outside before washing.

View attachment 279665
Fair. and this is where I like the Tojiro since if you aren't using I ton a sink it works just just fine. But that is fair about the towel. That's why it think I moved towards that since I can just rinse it in the mud room sink or somewhere that isn't what contains our food stuff.

I use a waterproof rubber dog food mat that I roll out, cleaned soy sauce dispenser, and a table whetstone holder. Total cost of above like 15 bucks. The cost of the stones however….

Just remember to have some sort of bucket nearby to pour excess water from the doggie mat into. Don’t try to carry the doggie mat to sink with water dripping.
Lmao. yes...... I'd be stupid enough to try to carry the dog mat over the first time and then instantly regret my decision.

For just edges I use a kitchen towel on top of a cutting board, at the edge for hand clearance, and I flip sides when I switch hands. Anything more than that I'm down at the work bench/set tub where I sit with a 2x4 stone holder or stand with a plank across the sink.

My stones are splash and go, so I just use a doggie mat, Shapton field stone holder, and spray bottle with water. I work at my wet bar so I’m 2 steps from a sink for rinsing.

I like that this setup vs a sink bridge as lets me easily adjust my distance from the stone or angle it left/right as needed. And no real setup or tear down so I can just wander over and spend a few mins sharpening whenever I feel like. If my stones were a lot softer and/or needed more water I’d go the sink bridge route - but then again, this is exactly why I chose s&g stones.

IMG_3925.jpeg

Depends on what stones I'm in the mood for!

Arks/washitas, diamonds and sintered ceramics, just the case or a simple stone holder. What little mess is made can be wiped clean.

For stones that gernerate mud, one of those silicone mats or a damp paper towel and the stone holder.

I am rarely the only one a kitchen (home kitchens, not a profesional here), so monopolizing the sink with a bridge is a good way to get the stink eye :p

For heavy work, an exterior workbench.... in the shade... with a beer!

Another aspect not mentioned yet, I keep a set up in a case to make it easy to sharpen where ever I end up (freinds house, the garden, workshop, or lower circle of hell).

Attachments

• 20230927_064426.jpg
    20230927_064426.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
2x4 with blocks screwed into it for a sink bridge over the kitchen sink. Tool chest for stone storage. Garage for the wen and shinko sharpeners.

My main downside is I have to do the dishes before sharpening...

That’s what I’m saying. But I have to do the dishes and put them all away since I don’t want splatter on them.
Lol re read the first post. Looks like i stopped reading before the complaints =P

Yeah the garage setup is nice since i can leave it out.... but it is a dedicated space. I still use the kitchen sink more often since the sink as a water source and drain out weighs the cons of cleaning..... and i do have to do the dishes eventually..... anyways..... for now....

Funny story i had a college friend who would just throw dishes out when he didnt want to wash them...... glad i didnt live with him.

Not going to lie. I don’t want to buy a table for the basement. Insane I know…. (Buys 1000 dollar knives, won’t buy one 200 dollar table). Could probably get a cheap table but that’s just where I draw the line. I think it comes to space? And then I have to mess with the basement set up

I made that table out of scrap 2x4's. One of my greatest woodworking achievements. I got the wood for free but probably spent $300 on tools, glue, screws, sandpaper, shellac, etc.

Full sized sheet pan, to contain the mess.
Kasfly bridge extended to the short edges of the pan, spanning closest to me and farthest from me.
Spray bottle of water (and a little drip bottle of oil, for oilstones)
Sink nearby for rinsing off knives and stones

I don't try to keep it all pristine, but a couple of paper towels after a sharpening session keeps the mess sort of in check. Slurry is not the worst cleaner in the world.
Lol re read the first post. Looks like i stopped reading before the complaints =P

Yeah the garage setup is nice since i can leave it out.... but it is a dedicated space. I still use the kitchen sink more often since the sink as a water source and drain out weighs the cons of cleaning..... and i do have to do the dishes eventually..... anyways..... for now....

Funny story i had a college friend who would just throw dishes out when he didnt want to wash them...... glad i didnt live with him.
1699223981287.jpeg

Bottom —> top

1. Non slip mat material
2. Wooden cutting board
3. Nanohone base w/ 320 stone or another stone w/ nano-hone base (see next steps if not a plated stone)
4. Non-slip mat material
5. Stone of choice

I sometimes swap out the nano hone base for a large Natsuya stone I have and pile other things on top of it

I should just find a large wooden block

Back