Shihan knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone used his A2? I like the extra heft, but have no experience with his work. +1 also for a profile modification

This particular profile is perfect for me. Next time I get a shihan I’ll request this.

I'm really liking it, this is only the second knife I've found that fits me perfect.

untitled-0237-Edit.jpg

Does anyone know the differences, if any, between the regular Shi Han and the Ginrei from JKI?
I always ask him to make things thinner, but the reality is there is little difference other than then name, which is more of something to honor where he spent time learning and how we met than anything else.

just tried one for the first time yesterday. I like everything about it except the profile. wonderfully balanced workhorse.
What don't you like about the profile?

I've got one wrought iron cladding Shihan 260mm W2 gyuto (not white #2) from Sean (aka nakneker) and love it.
At 270 grams, i thought i would be a bit too heavy, bit its balance is perfect.
Its profile has a bit more belly than my preference, but it works so well, it became one of my favorite blades.

back half of the knife is too flat.

i may just order a custom profiled one down the road.
The only profile I really can't stand is one that's so flat on the back end that it gives you a "hard stop" feeling during a push cut or rock. That doesn't happen with any Shi-Han I've used, but I've had other well respected knives that did it, all of which I've sold.

As to Labor's point, of course it's right: If you don't prefer a particular profile, then don't buy the knife (or use it and get rid of it if it's not for you). The reason I brought up the Shi-Han profile issue is because I wanted to air out why it seems to be KKF's Collective Opinion that Shi-Han's knives are great, except for the profile.

Huh, and I was just thinking the front half was too curved. Diff'rent strokes.
actually in earlier versions they definitely had too much belly in the front. the one i tried (labor of love) the front half is quite good.
a knife can have both too much curve up front and too flat in the back, i've run into a few knives like that before and i would put it down immediately because it was 2 strikes back to back, haha.

actually in earlier versions they definitely had too much belly in the front. the one i tried (labor of love) the front half is quite good.
a knife can have both too much curve up front and too flat in the back, i've run into a few knives like that before and i would put it down immediately because it was 2 strikes back to back, haha.

Yea, I dunno why having a flat spot that’s half the knife long is desirable to people at all. Doesn’t compute to me. Or rather, it computes in theory (no accordion cuts) but not in practice, ‘cause it feels terrible.

I actually like that profile, I tend to use different sections of the knife for different cutting styles. The only thing I dislike it for is for slicing meat.

It be interesting to see a video of it in action though because we might be talking about very different things. Also professional chefs are going to have different needs to home cooks, I won't pretend to understand what doing 4 hours of prep is like.

Yea, I dunno why having a flat spot that’s half the knife long is desirable to people at all. Doesn’t compute to me. Or rather, it computes in theory (no accordion cuts) but not in practice, ‘cause it feels terrible.

I never rock, so a smooth transition isn't important to me. A large flat section is useful for chopping, a curved tip section is useful for drawing down the board, and a pointy tip is useful for tip work.

Literally diff'rent strokes, I guess.

I never rock, so a smooth transition isn't important to me. A large flat section is useful for chopping, a curved tip section is useful for drawing down the board, and a pointy tip is useful for tip work.

Literally diff'rent strokes, I guess.

I guess one difference might be that there’s usually a significant amount of pull in my strokes. If the knife is super flat, the segment of contact with the board is larger, so there’s more drag on the knife as you pull. I like a pointy tip just fine, but similarly if the knife curves upward too much at the tip, it becomes too difficult to use with a pull cut, since you’d have to pull your elbow up in the air dramatically with each pull to keep the knife edge close to the board. Guess those strokes are best with subtle (not too flat, not too curved) curvature along the length of the knife.

My first 5 years of professional cooking were almost exclusively spent rocking with big cheap house knives. I gradually taught myself to push cut over the years as my tastes moved more toward Japanese knives. I still rock for certain tasks whether I'm using a sujihiki, a gyuto, cleaver, petty, nakiri, whatever. It's ingrained in my technique and I have no reason to want to change that. I have no issues with rocking causing problems no matter how thin or hard thin the knife is. I don't like gyutos where the tip is too low because I tend to go into rocking motion and then stab the cutting board damaging the tip. Other than that the profile of a knife doesn't matter to me as long as there is no recurve. I have knives that I enjoy using with all sorts of different profiles and can adjust my technique as long as the knife is sharp.

I have knives that I enjoy using with all sorts of different profiles and can adjust my technique as long as the knife is sharp.

I'm more in this camp, but some people are rigid and unwavering in their "needs" or preferences. If you can't cut an onion with a house knife I think it says more about you than the knife.

I think people make a bit too much noise about profile, but if you've got cases of onions, peppers, and potatoes to go through on a daily basis, I think you earn the right to be a bit more discerning in your preferences.

I had a Shi.Han with the "horrid" upswept tip and I liked it quite a lot. In fact, one of my favorite knives to use right now (from HSC), has a slightly similar profile.

If you can't cut an onion with a house knife I think it says more about you than the knife.

Hey now.... it’s not that we can’t use other knives. We’re spending ungodly amounts of money for designer quality knives. Is it so strange to want to buy a knife that suits our preferred cutting style perfectly? One approach is to adapt out cutting style to our aesthetic unicorn. But that’s not the only reason to buy fancy knives.

Hey now.... it’s not that we can’t use other knives. We’re spending ungodly amounts of money for designer quality knives. Is it so strange to want to buy a knife that suits our preferred cutting style perfectly? One approach is to adapt out cutting style to our aesthetic unicorn. But that’s not the only reason to buy fancy knives.

All I know is I would never buy a Kato because I like my kanji chiseled in by people who have hit puberty. Y'all can have the five-year-old writing.

Reactions: ian
I am with @ian, obviously any sharp knife can be used to do whatever, but people here are knife enthusiasts and are spending money on knives. Ofcourse we discuss minute details and go overboard, this is same in any hobby or group of enthusiasts. If profile doesn't matter to some of you, great why are you discussing profiles. Clearly profiles can make a huge difference and people have their preferences. We can all adjust to whatever, but unless one had to why bother when you can get a profile that works better for you, just makes no sense at all. Sometimes I feel like some people just need to feel superior to others and are running around claiming that steel doesn't matter, grind doesn't matter, profile doesn't matter, it is all technique after all and they can do everything with a sharpened fork, great for you, why are you discussing knives in the first place, you already achieved mastery of all things knife.

To stay a little bit on topic. I had very good experience with Sheehan, great guy to deal with. Had 2 of his knives. The A2 was good, but too blade heavy for me and the tip was a little too high, but not bad. Could replace the handle to make it balance better, but ordered a custom 52100 instead. The custom was great, I ordered flatter profile, lower tip as this is my preference. Really liked that knife, need to get another one of these days.

I fully understand why people dissect various aspects of knives. I wasn't trying to act superior or put anyone down.

Newcomers may not appreciate why we're being so specific about one thing and get the impression that 47mm is the ultimate heel height (just to make up an example), and 46mm is as unacceptable as 48mm.

Discuss away. I don't know many people who are into knives as much as the participating members around here, so where else would we say such things?

Reactions: ian
There’s an old argument about tools and woodworkers. “Only a bad workman blames his tools”

I’m of two minds. Nick Wheeler started with files and magazines, and he’s the standard on finishing. However, I don’t know a single professional knifemaker who doesn’t have a decent 2x72 grinder.

I think there’s a difference between competence and efficiency. Someone competent can be efficient with a great tool. From my corner of the craft world, you can do great woodwork with tools that are out of square, but it’s a hell of a lot easier if they’re square.

So what does this mean about custom v. Victorinox? I forgot what my position on the issue was...

Quick feedback on my 240 shihan in 52100 steel. It has a too high to little convex side grind and it is a sucktion magnet for all thin slices. I have to claw them off the sides of the knife.
He should look at how a Kato worhorse is convexed and learn from that.
The blade is very forward heavy and it feels out of ballance and totally throws of my chopping rithm. To be honest i like it the least of my knives so far and I am thinking of selling first chance I get. I had high hopes for this one, based on the community feedback but each time i try it for a salad i end up with the same feeling.

Quick feedback on my 240 shihan in 52100 steel. It has a too high to little convex side grind and it is a sucktion magnet for all thin slices. I have to claw them off the sides of the knife.
He should look at how a Kato worhorse is convexed and learn from that.
The blade is very forward heavy and it feels out of ballance and totally throws of my chopping rithm. To be honest i like it the least of my knives so far and I am thinking of selling first chance I get. I had high hopes for this one, based on the community feedback but each time i try it for a salad i end up with the same feeling.
Have you thought about sending it back to Shehan for work? In my experience he would gladly adjust the grind and handle to adjust the balance for you. Might be worth giving it a try.

Back