Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered a knife from a Frenchman living in GB.
Simon Maillet
Simon Maillet 2.jpg

Simon Maillet Spine.jpg Simon Maillet Choil.jpg

Steel: 135Cr3
Saya, handle: black walnut
Length: 240mm
Height: 52mm
Spine: over 5mm ; mid:2,8mm ; 1cm before tip: 0,8mm

1610143742370.png
24 cm 1K6 steel yanagiba and
1610143781807.png
210 mm deba also 1K6 steel
my first japanse type knives ^^ I am SUPER excited, they should arrive some time next week(hopefully monday) i am sick of cutting maki rolls with a flexy salmon filet knife xD best i could do, the only knives we have in the household are for hunting or other bigger stuff. I hope i can learn to sharpen these types of knives with those two relatively cheap ones, don't want to "learn" on a knife even twice as expensive as those i got comming o_O I hope i can get my hands on whole Yellow fin loin so i can make my own cuts for sashimi a bit nicer.

First knife of 2021 has arrived. And it’s a good one - i think for the price, it’s an should be an amazing performer - based on my experience with the Blue 1

270 mm Gyuto
58 mm heel height
240 gm - so not a laser
Blue 2
4.5 at heel, tapering to 1.3 at tip

View attachment 108926View attachment 108927View attachment 108928View attachment 108929View attachment 108930
I have a blue 1 Y Tanaka and I assure you it’s an absolute pleasure. I’m very envious of your dimensions though. I’d say those specs are just about perfect for a do it all knife.

My first “real” Japanese knife - upgrading a very chippy Shun. It was super-helpful buying from a local shop specializing in jknives after experiencing analysis paralysis from online shopping. I just threw myself at their mercy; they laid out a dozen for me to feel and look at and it was really easy to narrow it down to a few based on how they felt in the hand and seeing them in person. My wife loved the damascus pattern on this one so she ended up making the final decision (I don’t think there were any bad options, honestly).

Shiro Kamo R2 damascus-clad 210mm gyuto. I didn’t notice the highly asymmetric profile until I got home; hopefully my nascent sharpening skills will be up to the task. Kinda cool to see the core steel exposed at the choil (it’s also exposed at the spine) - that’ll be a good visual reference years down the road for keeping the bevel centered on the core.
90B83864-E749-49F1-8B65-9545A9168D47.jpeg
575F285A-7E74-4BFE-BE55-04D461E8BC90.jpeg

A Yoshikazu stainless clad? That's unusual find. I think you bought the last one. If it doesn't work out, let me know. ;)
It is the last 240mm on miuraknife when I saw it last week, there’s 2 more on EBay’s miuraknife at the same time. This reminds me of the original Wide bevel Fujiyama, I always wanted to try the wide bevel Fujiyama, but they were all full reactive, when I found out the stainless clad version I didn’t hesitate;).

Latest posts

Back