Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received this JCK Original Kagayaki CarboNext Series 180mm Gyuto. It has a right-hand biased edge grind extra sharp. I very much like the 7" size in this type of knife. However, using this wonderful Gyuto I am looking to go larger. This is my 1st Gyuto and it was my German Zwilling 8" Chef's knife I was using as an example gets rather heavy for my tastes in larger sizes. The 2.2mm blade on the Gyuto compared to the maximum 8mm on the Zwilling 8" Pro S makes a huge difference in its handyness. I am wondering how I am going to maintain the 30/70 bevel for its righthand grind. This might be one I send in as needed. Looking at this photo it is amazing how my iPhone's camera picks up my fresh oiling of the blade with Tsubaki Oil.

View attachment 284118

When you say 70/30 are you talking about the edge bevel or the primary bevel/grind? If the edge bevel, I generally just end up sharpening them at 50/50. I don't find that the edge bevel alone, especially at those ratios, makes much difference.

Actually ignoring the asymmetry isn't ideal, you just run the risk of ending up with a knife that steers.
But all of my Carbonexts came somewhat thick behind the edge... if you really want to get the most out of them you'll want to thin them quite a bit. Or at least knock the shoulder off that bevel. It's really the main drawback of the knives IMO; the steel is great, the handles are nice, the profiles are awesome and they're cheap... but the grind is nothing to write home about.

Simon Herde production series
IMG_0454.jpeg
IMG_0456.jpeg
IMG_0458.jpeg

I really wouldn't waste fancy oil on Carbonext knives.. they're semistainless, really not that reactive. Sure you don't want to leave them wet or dirty - then they'll stain after a few hours - but oiling them is completely unnecessary.
I know this but the Knife was in front of me and I had just opened the bottle and I wanted to see what camellia oil looked like. I actually purchased it to use on my Shun Hinoki Cutting Board.

When you say 70/30 are you talking about the edge bevel or the primary bevel/grind? If the edge bevel, I generally just end up sharpening them at 50/50. I don't find that the edge bevel alone, especially at those ratios, makes much difference.
As I understand it think of a signal bevel edge then on what would be the flat side you put a small bevel. I know how to sharpen knives my outfitter rancher grandfather taught me. But it was never into the edge geometry I am seeing now.

As I understand it think of a signal bevel edge then on what would be the flat side you put a small bevel. I know how to sharpen knives my outfitter rancher grandfather taught me. But it was never into the edge geometry I am seeing now.

So just the actual edge bevel then. If so, I personally wouldn't stress it.

Package from JNS showed up today. Snagged a munetoshi bloomery gyuto. Feel really good in hand…. As soon as we eat up these thanksgiving leftovers and make some space in the fridge, I can cook again and put this to use!
ewY5Y6c.jpg
sx4lmGT.jpg
52Jnt52.jpg
nice. the KU seems to be polished off. is it just because of lighting and the angle of the picture?

Yes, that’s correct, it’s not polished off, just due to the warm natural lighting.
Here’s a photo under incandescent lighting indoors.
UKyZN9I.jpg
love it! i bought the first kasumi one Maksim released, but I also like the look of the KU version a lot...i can already tell i will probably have a weak moment at some point...

love it! i bought the first kasumi one Maksim released, but I also like the look of the KU version a lot...i can already tell i will probably have a weak moment at some point...
Haha I almost bought one of the Kasumi finished ones in addition to this one earlier this week when he posted 3 of each finish but this one hadn’t arrived yet… kind of wish I did now that I have this one in hand lol

I am growing increasingly impressed with Japanese Chefs Knifes. As I learn more about individual Japanese blacksmiths I realize what this outfit has done. it is basically a store for the Seki blacksmiths. Japanese Chef's Knife not only sells their knives but you can contact them directly if you want a custom knife made, all handled through Japanese Chefs Knifes. I have a number of very nice Paudin Japanese-style pattern welded Chinese knives. Very sharp and beautiful to look at. I am starting to look at them like they are counterfeits. I especially have grown to resent their attributes to "Japanese heritage". I am starting to replace them with the real deal.

Latest posts

Back