Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael blew it out of the park with this one
tempImageLFNaqm.png

The Grand Council of GRO acknowledges this as being quite cool however, to the question of ARM eligibility...

DENIED!
But it’s got such a great workhorse grind!! Really powers through dense, fibrous items, but does have some minor cracking on carrots . . . Maybe I can find something more suitable for next year . . . Like a @martinhuber vegetable cleaver.

I hit a triple today. A Nakagawa x Morihiro B1 petty and two beauties from knifejapan, Kawatsu Hamono bannou bocho in B1 and Kawatsu Hamono funayuki in B2.
Been curious about that Kawatsu Hamono bannou bocho in B1. Let me know what you think. I am curious about the feel of the handle too. Looks interesting.
Wait is that Kawatsu or Otsuka homono Bannou B1

Last edited:
Ok that’s what I thought and what I was asking about. I thought he was the only one to do the mountain cherry handles. What size?
What was your wait time on this?
It’s 160mm. Nice and solid. Actually I lucked into it, I waited less than a day once I ordered it. I got an email from Michael telling me that he got word of a few coming in.

It’s 160mm. Nice and solid. Actually I lucked into it, I waited less than a day once I ordered it. I got an email from Michael telling me that he got word of a few coming in.
How did that work? I thought you needed to take your hand measurements. So he could select the correct handle for you.

How did that work? I thought you needed to take your hand measurements. So he could select the correct handle for you.
I did that when ordering the knife. And usually it’s a 6-12 month wait for forging. Once he knew the blades were coming in he put the handle order through which took 3 or 4 days to make and the knife was on its way.

I did that when ordering the knife. And usually it’s a 6-12 month wait for forging. Once he knew the blades were coming in he put the handle order through which took 3 or 4 days to make and the knife was on its way.

What is the height option? Goes from under 160cm- over190cm options. That is like over 6 foot is that your height?

What is the height option? Goes from under 160cm- over190cm options. That is like over 6 foot is that your height?
I initially asked for a 140mm version but when Michael wrote he asked if I would take a 160mm that he had coming in so that’s what I took. It was $21 more but worth it rather than waiting a year.

Last edited:
Just picked up a Hado Sakai Ginsan Kiritsuke Gyuto 210. This was a replacement for a crappy Nigara AS/S Tsuchime Kiritsuke Gyuto 210 that had a bad heat treat. I picked the Nigara up from Knifewear Vancouver while there on vacation. To Knifewears credit, they took back the Niagara and gave me store credit. One of the guys there highly recommended the Hado:
20240330_143325.jpg

I got this in a couple days ago. Lucid k-tip, 243x57, 294g. I love the aesthetics and it feels great in hand. Although I haven’t used it yet, I have two other Lucid’s, so I know it’ll perform great. My other Lucids are a gyuto and bunka, so thought I’d add a k-tip.

View attachment 310396View attachment 310399View attachment 310400View attachment 310401
View attachment 310402View attachment 310403View attachment 310404
What's the core steel? If you have more than one type of core steel, which is your favorite? Enjoy!

Back