Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not good at photography, but very excited to get these home and try them out....

Yoshihiro Aonamiuchi Yanagiba - Blue #1
Yoshihiro Hongasumi Edo Usuba - Blue #2

View attachment 39687View attachment 39688View attachment 39689View attachment 39690View attachment 39691View attachment 39692

Jesus, I don't know what a focal point is apparently... Genuine Canadian apology for ****** pics

Are you good with slicing and chopping veggies with a single bevel? I definitely need a lot of practice, all my cuts end up crooked.

Are you good with slicing and chopping veggies with a single bevel? I definitely need a lot of practice, all my cuts end up crooked.
Yeah. My first few years of apprenticeship were in a sushi bar and the "master" only used single-beveled knives. I don't recall as steep a learning curve as most people seem to experience, but I believe I learned to adapt quickly out of sheer necessity.

After a week or so of using only Usubas, you should be able to pick up a 50/50 or single bevel, essentially blind, and your wrist and stance will adjust subconsciously to either or.

nice couple single bevels there

Thanks man!

Yeah. My first few years of apprenticeship were in a sushi bar and the "master" only used single-beveled knives. I don't recall as steep a learning curve as most people seem to experience, but I believe I learned to adapt quickly out of sheer necessity.

After a week or so of using only Usubas, you should be able to pick up a 50/50 or single bevel, essentially blind, and your wrist and stance will adjust subconsciously to either or.

Thanks man!

Awesome that’s great to hear thanks! I’d love to work for a sushi chef, but I’ve got too good a thing going on where I’m at right now, if the farming doesn’t work out I may branch out and work at a sushi place part time. The only thing is around me there’s only cheap sushi there’s really No masters here, only one place where the original owner was from Japan and was an actual sushi chef/master and he trained his sous who bought the place from him, and the spot is real random in a shopping center I think. But yeah now I think I have another knife I’m going to have to buy!

What do you think about kiritsukes? Real single bevel ones?

Got this baby in the mail today

QFr5Eah.jpg

Awesome that’s great to hear thanks! I’d love to work for a sushi chef, but I’ve got too good a thing going on where I’m at right now, if the farming doesn’t work out I may branch out and work at a sushi place part time. The only thing is around me there’s only cheap sushi there’s really No masters here, only one place where the original owner was from Japan and was an actual sushi chef/master and he trained his sous who bought the place from him, and the spot is real random in a shopping center I think. But yeah now I think I have another knife I’m going to have to buy!

What do you think about kiritsukes? Real single bevel ones?

I put "master" in quotes in my post intentionally lol. On my third or fourth shift, the Japanese owner (owned half the business) of my place left to go back to Japan, and the remaining "master" was from the Philippines, and was not at the same level. I don't believe you have to be Japanese to be a a proficient sushi chef, obviously, but this guy was not at the same level as the other owner (his fundamentals were sloppy, but they got the job done).

I still learned a ton, and he trained me in the same stages as sushi apprentices in Japan, but progressed me much quicker through the different tasks (I was making nigiri within a year). I learned how to sharpen single-beveled knives on very soft stones early in my career and would definitely recommend working anywhere that practices the basics, even if they are not perfect. Some of the old-timers have terrible habits, especially in the west, but they get the job done far better than all-you-can-eat and fly-by-night places.

I would recommend working a shift per week for free with the new owner of your local place (free to avoid any commitment and focus on learning only). Just observe and help prep - you will learn a ton just from watching and asking questions. After a month or two I believe you'll either have the bug in you, or you won't. When the bug bites, it runs deep and you will drop everything else to continue learning.

I have never liked kiritsukes personally, I have never found a specific task for them, that wasn't done better with a different knife, but that's just personal taste more than anything else. You'll find that working at an actual sushi bar, space is severely limited and you need to keep everything spotless the entire time - in other words, you'll only have room for 2 or three knives and they had better earn their keep for the whole shift.

Hope that helps a bit!

I put "master" in quotes in my post intentionally lol. On my third or fourth shift, the Japanese owner (owned half the business) of my place left to go back to Japan, and the remaining "master" was from the Philippines, and was not at the same level. I don't believe you have to be Japanese to be a a proficient sushi chef, obviously, but this guy was not at the same level as the other owner (his fundamentals were sloppy, but they got the job done).

I still learned a ton, and he trained me in the same stages as sushi apprentices in Japan, but progressed me much quicker through the different tasks (I was making nigiri within a year). I learned how to sharpen single-beveled knives on very soft stones early in my career and would definitely recommend working anywhere that practices the basics, even if they are not perfect. Some of the old-timers have terrible habits, especially in the west, but they get the job done far better than all-you-can-eat and fly-by-night places.

I would recommend working a shift per week for free with the new owner of your local place (free to avoid any commitment and focus on learning only). Just observe and help prep - you will learn a ton just from watching and asking questions. After a month or two I believe you'll either have the bug in you, or you won't. When the bug bites, it runs deep and you will drop everything else to continue learning.

I have never liked kiritsukes personally, I have never found a specific task for them, that wasn't done better with a different knife, but that's just personal taste more than anything else. You'll find that working at an actual sushi bar, space is severely limited and you need to keep everything spotless the entire time - in other words, you'll only have room for 2 or three knives and they had better earn their keep for the whole shift.

Hope that helps a bit!

Awesome yeah I really appreciate the advice! That’s a great idea to just work a few shifts for free, when winter comes and the farmin is slow I definitely think I’ll do that, learn some stuff. Thanks brother

Super sexy....... Knives, sayas & handles!

I always liked the stock anryu handle and wouldn't of thought to get it rehandled. But now that I see it sporting some Carter kicks, it looks really bad ass!!

Thanks! I liked the blade so much that I thought it could use an upgrade. Carter has done several Anryus in the past, but what sold me was a set of 3 Anryu 210s he rehandled for the crew at Slab Town Pizza. There's a nice long thread about it over on the Forbidden forum. If you Google "Set of 3 Anryu Gyutos: The Slab Town Build Project," you can see the build process. Very interesting to see from start to finish.

What kind of wood is that Anryu handle? How much roughly does it cost get such beautiful handles like that? Are the sayas made with the handles too?

The wood is stabilized buckeye burl. Price depends on materials and the person doing the work, but it can easily cost as much as a complete knife if you're getting a fully custom work done. And if you want really exotic materials like billion year old bog oak or mammoth tusk or walrus penis bone (seriously) the prices go higher. The custom handle doesn't make the knife cut any better, but it sure does help bring the looks in line with the performance. Not that it didn't look plenty sharp and beautiful to begin with. Carter did the sayas at the same time he was rehandling the Anryu.

It's a Kurosaki Shizuku 240 gyuto, outfitted with a handle from James at K&S. I haven't even had a chance to use it yet.

Looks great. I got the same handle on a 210 Sukeanri I got from James last week. Sleek.

Thanks! I liked the blade so much that I thought it could use an upgrade. Carter has done several Anryus in the past, but what sold me was a set of 3 Anryu 210s he rehandled for the crew at Slab Town Pizza. There's a nice long thread about it over on the Forbidden forum. If you Google "Set of 3 Anryu Gyutos: The Slab Town Build Project," you can see the build process. Very interesting to see from start to finish.

The wood is stabilized buckeye burl. Price depends on materials and the person doing the work, but it can easily cost as much as a complete knife if you're getting a fully custom work done. And if you want really exotic materials like billion year old bog oak or mammoth tusk or walrus penis bone (seriously) the prices go higher. The custom handle doesn't make the knife cut any better, but it sure does help bring the looks in line with the performance. Not that it didn't look plenty sharp and beautiful to begin with. Carter did the sayas at the same time he was rehandling the Anryu.

Oh yeah I definitely want to rehandle my knives one day I just like the look of some of those beautiful woods, definitely matches the performance I’m sure. And walrus penis bone!? Get out of here! I’ve never heard of that, but I hadn’t known mammoth tusk was an actual usable product until I found HHH’s thread on it, so crazy!

Oh yeah I definitely want to rehandle my knives one day I just like the look of some of those beautiful woods, definitely matches the performance I’m sure. And walrus penis bone!? Get out of here! I’ve never heard of that, but I hadn’t known mammoth tusk was an actual usable product until I found HHH’s thread on it, so crazy!

Its called "oosic" 😊

I just discovered an ode to the bone in question.

"An Ode to Oosik" by Anonymous

Strange things have been done in the Midnight Sun
and the story books are full ...
But the strangest tale concerns the male,
magnificent walrus bull!

I know it's rude, quite common and crude,
perhaps it is grossly unkind;
But with first glance at least, this bewhiskered beast,
is as ugly in front as behind.

Look once again, take a second look
then you'll see he's not ugly or vile
There's a hint of a grin, in that blubbery chin
and the eyes have a sly secret smile.

How can this be, this clandestine glee
that exudes from the walrus like music?
He knows, there inside, beneath blubber and hide
lies a splendid contrivance - the Oosik!

"Oosik" you say, and quite well you may,
I'll explain if you keep it between us;
In the simplest truth, though rather uncouth,
"Oosik" is, in fact, his penis!

Now the size alone of this walrus bone
would indeed arouse envious thinking.
It is also a fact, documented and backed,
there is never a softening or shrinking!

This, then, is why the smile is so sly,
the walrus is rightfully proud.
Though the climate is frigid, the walrus is rigid,
pray, why, is not man so endowed?

Added to this, is a smile you might miss --
though the bull is entitled to bow --
The one to out-smile our bull by a mile
is the satisfied walrus cow!

I just discovered an ode to the bone in question.

"An Ode to Oosik" by Anonymous

Strange things have been done in the Midnight Sun
and the story books are full ...
But the strangest tale concerns the male,
magnificent walrus bull!

I know it's rude, quite common and crude,
perhaps it is grossly unkind;
But with first glance at least, this bewhiskered beast,
is as ugly in front as behind.

Look once again, take a second look
then you'll see he's not ugly or vile
There's a hint of a grin, in that blubbery chin
and the eyes have a sly secret smile.

How can this be, this clandestine glee
that exudes from the walrus like music?
He knows, there inside, beneath blubber and hide
lies a splendid contrivance - the Oosik!

"Oosik" you say, and quite well you may,
I'll explain if you keep it between us;
In the simplest truth, though rather uncouth,
"Oosik" is, in fact, his penis!

Now the size alone of this walrus bone
would indeed arouse envious thinking.
It is also a fact, documented and backed,
there is never a softening or shrinking!

This, then, is why the smile is so sly,
the walrus is rightfully proud.
Though the climate is frigid, the walrus is rigid,
pray, why, is not man so endowed?

Added to this, is a smile you might miss --
though the bull is entitled to bow --
The one to out-smile our bull by a mile
is the satisfied walrus cow!

Hahaha! Was this serious?! Or did you just make that up? Regardless it’s good Hilarious!

Got a nice deal on a western carbon ZKramer and couldn't resist. Truly the most comfortable knife I've ever held. Didn't expect that.

shnolhq.jpg

1e2V3SK.jpg

jdtBVxR.jpg

25AJIMX.jpg

Damn, always want one of those again every time I see one, probably my most regretted knife (because I sold it)

Kato 240WH with new digs. Body and ferrule construction is carbon fiber weave scales with M3 black titanium core. Spacer is mother of pearl with red G10 & brass.
njU3CXN.jpg

3o55XG4.jpg

9TU440w.jpg

CrUPg2s.jpg

Kato 240WH with new digs. Body and ferrule construction is carbon fiber weave scales with M3 black titanium core. Spacer is mother of pearl with red G10 & brass.
njU3CXN.jpg

3o55XG4.jpg

9TU440w.jpg

CrUPg2s.jpg

Oh, I like the way the carbon fiber weave looks. That with a simple silver spacer would be perfect (for me). Blade looks great too!

njU3CXN.jpg

3o55XG4.jpg

9TU440w.jpg

CrUPg2s.jpg

Special blade, special handle. Perfect marriage. How does balance feel? CF is awfully light

Latest addition (thanks Brontes)

Zmrl8EV.jpg

To the growing Toyama family
MkflOca.jpg

Ogubokm.jpg

Just a quick photo of a knife I have been meaning to pick up for a long time but have never seen in stock before today. That would be a Zakuri 165mm Tosagata Bocho in B#1 steel. It isn't a good photo, and I am no photographer, that is for sure but it is a photo nonetheless. Oh, and the knife as far as I can tell thus far seems quite well made, light, comfortable to hold, good looking grind and micro bevel etc. As for as low cost knives go this one blew me away ootb compared to something like a Tojiro.

This little beauty seems like it is going to be the ultimate petty. :) I must add that as per usual Jon sure made the package pretty and shipped it quick.

PS: I own it for sure as it bit me already! LOL.

D9foNhI.jpg

picked this up in the June bloodroot blades sale

le2GbiE.jpg

JnlGaWi.jpg

XLOt8OC.jpg

8lT09Y6.jpg

and i'll include one of their images for good measure
DSC_0405.jpg

...excuse the sloppy cut carrots, I was too excited to cut normally :dazed:

Back