Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understood. And thanks. There are so many stunning or just unique knives on this thread I'm a bit ashamed to have posted that one but it really has been a joy to use for something so inaesthetic.

its a new knife thread not a unique/stunning knife thread! thanks for posting the new stuff!

Two newest:

Gesshin Heiji 240
Gesshin Kagekiyo petty 210

Attachments

• A91DC7CB-D899-4B42-AA7E-852008F98F2A.jpeg
    A91DC7CB-D899-4B42-AA7E-852008F98F2A.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 212
its a new knife thread not a unique/stunning knife thread! thanks for posting the new stuff!

Hey, if that knife works...it works... :) AFAIK meatcutter don't gravitate toward a $1,000 blade...
Although this place does sometimes seem like anything not collectible isn't good enough to discuss.

I understood. And thanks. There are so many stunning or just unique knives on this thread I'm a bit ashamed to have posted that one but it really has been a joy to use for something so inaesthetic.

Just because some of us (me included) are adding some collectible like knives, doesn't mean we don't have stuff that's more economical and purely made for efficiency.

Definitely beefy and will crack through carrots. I even had Jon pick the thinnest he had and clean 'er up. It's just a chunky monkey, no other way around that. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just worth noting.
Thank you for this info. Will probably go custom Heiji route.

Thank you for this info. Will probably go custom Heiji route.

For sure. I mean, at some level, that's just the way he makes knives.
I have heard of people reaching out to him and saying "thinner than typical" and certainly a viable option. If you do go that route, would love to get your feedback.

For sure. I mean, at some level, that's just the way he makes knives.
I have heard of people reaching out to him and saying "thinner than typical" and certainly a viable option. If you do go that route, would love to get your feedback.
Most definitely. I was loaned a Heiji a few years ago, not sure if it was a Gesshin though but I remember it being a great knive. Having him make one to specs more suitable to me would be the best option I think.

5ABAFBA1-12B4-464C-8684-6F0CC96C9B96.jpeg
471DBA9B-7441-4A3E-99D9-35DDAC13B29B.jpeg
7B3E3F33-187A-4443-8C2F-C3D293A71C5F.jpeg
This Ikeda 300 Honyaki in blue just came in, to be honest I didn’t think I’d be keeping it but after handling it I think I’m gonna give it a try. It’s much more nimble than I expected. Weighs 254 grams without the handle. That’s a Kono Fuji in 240 on the board next to it. Being blue steel I didn’t expect the hamon to be as visible as it is.

View attachment 47942 View attachment 47941 View attachment 47940 This Ikeda 300 Honyaki in blue just came in, to be honest I didn’t think I’d be keeping it but after handling it I think I’m gonna give it a try. It’s much more nimble than I expected. Weighs 254 grams without the handle. That’s a Kono Fuji in 240 on the board next to it. Being blue steel I didn’t expect the hamon to be as visible as it is.

GORGEOUS!!! Where did you track down an Ikeda honyaki in Blue Steel?

not positive but looks like the markings from the honyaki Tomohito sells from Iida-tool. He sent me a photo of a few blue honyaki very recently for sale that looked as far as i can tell identical.

The blue #1 honyaki that Tomohito had recently was a 240 and had a handle. It looked awesome.

I just received a B1 honyaki fron Tomohito and its beautiful. The grind is very righty bias and convex. Unfortunately the horn ferrule is cracked in 2 places potentially due to extreme cold in Toronto during transport. It’s a very basic ho octa handle. Tomohito responded and offered to send a replacement handle within minutes after I emailed him. Highly recommended.

I just received a B1 honyaki fron Tomohito and its beautiful. The grind is very righty bias and convex. Unfortunately the horn ferrule is cracked in 2 places potentially due to extreme cold in Toronto during transport. It’s a very basic ho octa handle. Tomohito responded and offered to send a replacement handle within minutes after I emailed him. Highly recommended.

Yeah he's pretty good with the fixes, he's forgotten Saya for me twice and shipped them ems no issue after the fact

It arrived this morning.
IMG_2575.jpg
It's rather sharp out of the box, but I suspect I can get it sharper. So far, I've cut about 5 inches of cucumber with it, so no real impressions yet.

It's light and nimble, great balance, and the profile seems to "just fit".

I'm a bit intimidated though. At 250 mm actual length heel to tip, it's a fair bit longer than the 210 mm I've been using so far. I'm keeping an open mind. If it turns out too long for what I do in the available space, it'll have to go again. But I'll give it a at least a week or two to show its true colours.

It arrived this morning.
View attachment 48137
It's rather sharp out of the box, but I suspect I can get it sharper. So far, I've cut about 5 inches of cucumber with it, so no real impressions yet.

It's light and nimble, great balance, and the profile seems to "just fit".

I'm a bit intimidated though. At 250 mm actual length heel to tip, it's a fair bit longer than the 210 mm I've been using so far. I'm keeping an open mind. If it turns out too long for what I do in the available space, it'll have to go again. But I'll give it a at least a week or two to show its true colours.
Details: Masamato? Steel, measurements, etc. Thanks.

Back