Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

Halycon, Dalman, Raquin

Hitohira Tanaka - Yohei 240 Kasumi Gyuto
Aogami #1, iron clad, Zelkova handle
226mm edge, 49mm at the heel, 171g.

5E05B0F3-A980-4057-B3B2-CBDF74CFC4AB.jpeg
CE370F99-7D1D-4989-A761-825BDE98F339.jpeg
1A833C99-5856-4612-B067-72C9176B008F.jpeg

Balance is a little forward from what I'm familiar with, but very pleased so far. Fit and finish is impeccable. Imported from Strata Portland, they answered all my questions promptly and were super helpful.

View attachment 85259View attachment 85260View attachment 85261

Balance is a little forward from what I'm familiar with, but very pleased so far. Fit and finish is impeccable. Imported from Strata Portland, they answered all my questions promptly and were super helpful.

I was lookin’ at that bad boI a while ago. If only it was a bit taller, I would’ve pulled the trigger. How does it perform?

I was lookin’ at that bad boI a while ago. If only it was a bit taller, I would’ve pulled the trigger. How does it perform?
Limited use so far, but was pretty sharp out of the box, it just fell through some potatoes. Hasn't seen the stones yet, it's my first Blue #1 so will be interesting to see if it feels different. Food release not the greatest but I'm sure this will improve with patina build-up. Quite reactive cladding to start.

It has replaced a Shigeki Tanaka 185mm gyuto, but feels easy to wield despite the increase in length. Handle is especially tactile. Aesthetically (to my eye) it's a knockout, but that's more subjective.

Good purchase! They’re awesome at Strata.

They’re really sweet. I got one in White, and it’s superb. Pretty good release, yet pretty thin all around. Nice profile, aMAZing steel.

That said, I’m about to sell mine, I think, since I basically only want to use lasers or near lasers, and yet I keep getting seduced by nonlasers. 😊 🤷

I've got the same knife coming from Hitohira, I've been wanting to try one. I'm sure Evan put an edge on yours before it left his shop, he's good for that.

Good purchase! They’re awesome at Strata.

They’re really sweet. I got one in White, and it’s superb. Pretty good release, yet pretty thin all around. Nice profile, aMAZing steel.

That said, I’m about to sell mine, I think, since I basically only want to use lasers or near lasers, and yet I keep getting seduced by nonlasers. 😊 🤷

Is that the one I borrowed? Agreed on all counts--thin, wicked sharp, and a nice middleweight grind. I just keep finding that I want every knife to be either a laser or a splitting maul :)

Reactions: ian
Is that the one I borrowed? Agreed on all counts--thin, wicked sharp, and a nice middleweight grind. I just keep finding that I want every knife to be either a laser or a splitting maul :)

Yea, that’s the one. I only keep one 240 at a time, and it was a fight between that one and the now super-thinned TF Mab I got from labor. Ended up choosing the TF, because it’s more lasery now, but it was tough.

Yea, that’s the one. I only keep one 240 at a time, and it was a fight between that one and the now super-thinned TF Mab I got from labor. Ended up choosing the TF, because it’s more lasery now, but it was tough.
whenever you decide to keep a different 240 I'd be happy to take that one off your hands 😁

Latest posts

Back