Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 122882View attachment 122883View attachment 122884

Bought some of the most known/biggest Finnish puukko style knife makers fish filetting knives, each made in Finland. Nothing too fancy, but they are quite fine and functional IMO. I was looking into some Finnish custom puukko makers too, but in the end I simply wanted these to experience what they are each about.

The longest one is a 22cm made by Wood Jewel in Kolari, Lapland of Finland. Curly birch and reindeer antler with brass/new silver bolster. Steel is from Germany, X50CrMoV15 HRC 57,5-58 according to the Finnish metal firm, Laurin Metalli, from which I queried the info. As a side note, I noticed that many of the puukko makers are using Lauris blades and they can indeed be bought separately and so on too.

I was surprised actually how fine this knife is. Looks and feels great, the blade itself is rather simple brushed finish, a bit of bend but clearly not too much, feels good, heel height 25mm at the very thickest spot.

The second one is a 19cm J Marttiini "Kojamo" fillet with heat treated birch and bronze salmon bolsters. Marttiini is probably the most familiar maker to people here. The company is nowadays owned by Rapala, who claims that the Marttiini fileting knives are the worlds most sold filetting knives.

Marttiini has fillets made from different steels, this one is actually unknown to me, but it could be ~ 53-55 HRC, like their classic model,or then a 57-58 like in some others. The reason I picked the Kojamo is that its made in Finland and I didnt fancy some of the other made in Finland fillets they had as much. Their most sold one, the classic, for instance is nowadays made in cooperation with their factory in Estonia. This knife itself has a beautiful mirror polish and came in a very nice wooden gift box. One salmon fileted, no complaints. Good stiffness for my tastes, not very bendy.

The smallest is a 16cm Iisakki Järvenpää.
X55CrMo14, 57-58 HRC, checked with the manufacturer. Again very nice looking knife IMO. One rainbow trout done. This one has a quite bendy blade and seemed I prefer the less bendy Marttiini, but this knife is designed with the smaller fish in mind, waiting to go catch s perch in the summer. Also I find rainbow trout is always less pleasant to fillet than salmon, for which I used the Marttiini :p.

Iisakki came with a postcard hand signed by, I believe, each of their workers in Kauhava :). All in all very happy with each. They all trap a bit of water in the bolster, but the blades are stainless and I suppose one could seal them at will rather easily. Oh and all came with a nice leather sheath.

That looks very awesome!

View attachment 122882View attachment 122883View attachment 122884

Bought some of the most known/biggest Finnish puukko style knife makers fish filetting knives, each made in Finland. Nothing too fancy, but they are quite fine and functional IMO. I was looking into some Finnish custom puukko makers too, but in the end I simply wanted these to experience what they are each about.

The longest one is a 22cm made by Wood Jewel in Kolari, Lapland of Finland. Curly birch and reindeer antler with brass/new silver bolster. Steel is from Germany, X50CrMoV15 HRC 57,5-58 according to the Finnish metal firm, Laurin Metalli, from which I queried the info. As a side note, I noticed that many of the puukko makers are using Lauris blades and they can indeed be bought separately and so on too.

I was surprised actually how fine this knife is. Looks and feels great, the blade itself is rather simple brushed finish, a bit of bend but clearly not too much, feels good, heel height 25mm at the very thickest spot.

The second one is a 19cm J Marttiini "Kojamo" fillet with heat treated birch and bronze salmon bolsters. Marttiini is probably the most familiar maker to people here. The company is nowadays owned by Rapala, who claims that the Marttiini fileting knives are the worlds most sold filetting knives.

Marttiini has fillets made from different steels, this one is actually unknown to me, but it could be ~ 53-55 HRC, like their classic model,or then a 57-58 like in some others. The reason I picked the Kojamo is that its made in Finland and I didnt fancy some of the other made in Finland fillets they had as much. Their most sold one, the classic, for instance is nowadays made in cooperation with their factory in Estonia. This knife itself has a beautiful mirror polish and came in a very nice wooden gift box. One salmon fileted, no complaints. Good stiffness for my tastes, not very bendy.

The smallest is a 16cm Iisakki Järvenpää.
X55CrMo14, 57-58 HRC, checked with the manufacturer. Again very nice looking knife IMO. One rainbow trout done. This one has a quite bendy blade and seemed I prefer the less bendy Marttiini, but this knife is designed with the smaller fish in mind, waiting to go catch s perch in the summer. Also I find rainbow trout is always less pleasant to fillet than salmon, for which I used the Marttiini :p.

Iisakki came with a postcard hand signed by, I believe, each of their workers in Kauhava :). All in all very happy with each. They all trap a bit of water in the bolster, but the blades are stainless and I suppose one could seal them at will rather easily. Oh and all came with a nice leather sheath.
Hahahaha, what do you think about this one?

40983572ui.jpeg

40983571et.jpeg

Austria. My grandpa loved fishing, especially fly fishing. And he loved fishing salmon. That’s where he got this knife...

That is awesome! Hope you enjoy using it :) It looks like a very good tool to me, that is never going to slip off from the hands. Note to self about gifting a fillet if we get grandkids. Aaand to go scour my parents places for old knives :D

We moved and I left behind my magnetic knife holders. New kitchen doesn’t lend itself to mounting them, but I have a nice knife drawer that holds most. Needed something for the overflow. Found this on Etsy and it’s perfect. Sits behind my my cutting board and takes up minimal space. Maker is Fine Crafts of Kentucky.
DE360D27-365C-4ABB-9759-F1292D89274E.jpeg
D7641364-AC1C-4964-BC62-B794EDB70B70.jpeg
CC8C2629-7E72-4EFE-9ADC-C97F6B496252.jpeg
DE360D27-365C-4ABB-9759-F1292D89274E.jpeg
D7641364-AC1C-4964-BC62-B794EDB70B70.jpeg
CC8C2629-7E72-4EFE-9ADC-C97F6B496252.jpeg
580E8536-5B67-46B6-90E0-D5BEEFE8D3A7.jpeg

I’ve been very fortunate to be able to get this knife. So far I can’t find fault with it or anything I would want to improve on it. It is MagnaCut core and I am very impressed with the steel so far. Everything on this knife just works for me. The honeymoon period with this knife has been the longest for me so far, but it just works. Huge thank you to the Thomas dream team for creating the steel and the knife🙏

PXL_20210331_010431201~2.jpg

I’ve been very fortunate to be able to get this knife. So far I can’t find fault with it or anything I would want to improve on it. It is MagnaCut core and I am very impressed with the steel so far. Everything on this knife just works for me. The honeymoon period with this knife has been the longest for me so far, but it just works. Huge thank you to the Thomas dream team for creating the steel and the knife🙏

View attachment 123185

Very cool and very special knife. Congrats!

Custom Togashi full tang western in ironwood, a subtle and elegant expression of pure artistry. Thanks to all the help from @moderncooking for setting this custom up and doing all the heavy lifting. Peter is a joy to work with for anyone looking at getting into some nice pieces, located in Germany.
Also to dispel any myths as to whether it is indeed a full western tang, it unequivocally is.
FA109737-0913-40B3-8077-ABE8A18BBB5F.jpeg
12B45EC3-BEAD-4B1C-A41B-9294C5C3096B.jpeg
BA943026-6C0E-4BEA-90BF-35EB4AAB42FE.jpeg
7730B873-1F41-41FA-B96A-B437EC8CE6CC.jpeg
1AB8B292-C1A3-45E8-863F-0D89041E4AA6.jpeg
B28718C1-0F4B-4E88-90BD-615FB04F63B7.jpeg

May I know Genkai still forging lefty knife? Is it possible to know where you get this?

I believe this is an old stock he made years ago that was recently sharpened. I’m not sure if he still forge these. Even if he does it will be really limited. One of this was purchased from retailer from Taiwan. And the other came from Japan

Damn, been busy so I haven’t been posting all the grabs on this thread, but if you follow me on IG you’ve seen all of these.

248x61 Two Sticks Gyuto (Pure Iron Cladding, Aogami 2 Core) An absolute beast. When it arrived, I always test OOTB edge vs. paper towel. It would not cut paper towel at all. A little disheartened, I proceeded to cut the usual suspects afterwards: potato, carrot, onion. Jesus this knife is sharp. My guess is that the way it was sharpened, there’s not much teeth on the edge, but damn can it ghost through ingredients.
70C69734-AF56-4B41-B94C-53CB2D649AAC.jpeg
E7D9E8A1-CC9F-47A0-987F-93FF181C9EEA.jpeg

Bottom: 225 Dan P. Integral that took almost 4 months to arrive (Wrought iron cladding, nickel, W2 core) I’ve been taking more videos than actual pictures of my knives, and this DP is with my saya guy right now, so hopefully I’ll be able to upload more pics of it, if I remember. 😉🥲 But this definitely made me a fan of his work. Just so damn comfortable to use.
F0F06028-6C2E-42CC-9130-748B296720F4.jpeg

HSC/// 240x57 “Workhorse” Gyuto (Wrought Iron Cladding, 52100 core)
F79CE4A8-8C4E-4C2F-8E07-5F00360092BA.jpeg
98E663CB-FDD1-494C-BC9C-5B647FB8E8B2.jpeg
E6127E76-449D-4A33-8161-417DF07DFFEF.jpeg

These are some terrible pics, but Harbeer was able to get the cladding to look like rain drops. We decided against a final etching, so the patina it’s been developing has been really dope.

E393C89F-7676-4137-9ADD-9E6C46CE7F15.jpeg
5D1816C9-F680-4F64-A98D-6381E4C8BEEE.jpeg

Shihan 244x56 A2 Gyuto
4118D4FB-010B-4460-8D69-5FFB6ABA8C61.jpeg
7AE033EF-EAF8-4946-9C2D-CC4FB0F3B9DA.jpeg

Last edited:
Continuation from the previous post:

AD594F20-7C9F-42C8-8DC5-FA7BF4651B7D.jpeg

I was not expecting the etch to be this dark. Ever since I used a heavily etched knife that had friction problems, I’ve been trying to avoid heavy etching overall. It’s not that bad on this Shihan, though. This knife legit feels just like the Kemadi KU bulats haha. If I was blindfolded and had both in each hand, I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. I just can’t get enough of the banding.... 🤤🤤 supplied the wood for the handle, a nice two-toned walnut. I have the same wood for a saya so stay tuned 😈😈

C37F68F2-4075-4E1E-9DE3-3CFDFA98570D.jpeg
55438715-4008-4AEB-A6DF-4C59E93EFFDD.jpeg

Custom Togashi full tang western in ironwood, a subtle and elegant expression of pure artistry. Thanks to all the help from @moderncooking for setting this custom up and doing all the heavy lifting. Peter is a joy to work with for anyone looking at getting into some nice pieces, located in Germany.
Also to dispel any myths as to whether it is indeed a full western tang, it unequivocally is.
View attachment 123368View attachment 123369View attachment 123370View attachment 123371View attachment 123372View attachment 123373

Hey @Gregmega, thanks for the shout out. It certainly is a beast!

If anyone is keen I am looking to place another order soon.

Well, everyone knows what this is:

dalman 1.jpg

I purchased this from @esoo through BST. Erik was a perfect seller - always responsive, perfectly helpful when French customs decided to be jerks, on top of every aspect. 5/5.

French customs decided that a 200 euro tax fee was fair. So, that was sub-awesome.

He had used the knife for a few preps, so it came pre-patina-ed! Vendors should offer that service.

It had the original edge, which had been used, so it was far too dull for me. Therefore, the first step was a nice session with a Chosera 3k and some leather stropping. NOW it was blindingly sharp - all of the usual tests were trivial. Push cutting newspaper, shaving arm hair without edge pressure on skin, gliding through tomato skins under the weight of the blade. The steel doesn't feel particularly easy to sharpen - it's not shirogami or aogami, taking a good bit longer to raise a burr - but it is consistent.

Here are the dimensions from my knife spreadsheet:
dalman 3.jpg

Performance is great after sharpening. Lunch prep for my GF and I was a large mixed salad, so a number of veggies were required. The tip glides through onions, sticking was minimal to normal for these items. It wedges a very tiny bit on a moderately thick carrot. The tomatoes were trivial to go through, even last in the series after the onions, cuke, carrots and apples. All peeling was also done with the knife.

dalman 2.jpg

Even missed opportunities (the massdrop) can be unmissed. :D

Nothing sexy here for sure but I'm still excited.

*Ingredients have nothing to do with the knife. Wife was gathering up stuff for salad when I slipped in for a pic.
vWyjIXf.jpg

I like breaking down whole chickens and it was time to get a proper tool for the job. I've been back and forth about Western or honesuki for quite a while but using my utility knife as an experiment has me feeling the Western style right now. Yeah, I'm sure there will be a honesuki at some time... 🤪

qibx9oV.jpg

Look at the burr on that factory edge...lol.

Back