Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Repjapsteel

Reaction score
Nice, subtle S grind is it? How does it cut?
I haven't used it yet because I'm going to meal prep this weekend and want to slice up some meat first to get a sick patina but If it's anything like my first Halcyon knife I'm sure it'll be amazing cutter.

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
Custom Togashi full tang western in ironwood, a subtle and elegant expression of pure artistry. Thanks to all the help from @moderncooking for setting this custom up and doing all the heavy lifting. Peter is a joy to work with for anyone looking at getting into some nice pieces, located in Germany.
Also to dispel any myths as to whether it is indeed a full western tang, it unequivocally is.
View attachment 123368View attachment 123369View attachment 123370View attachment 123371View attachment 123372View attachment 123373
How does it cut? Can we see some patina shots?

Carl Kotte

Reaction score
Nothing sexy here for sure but I'm still excited.

*Ingredients have nothing to do with the knife. Wife was gathering up stuff for salad when I slipped in for a pic.

I like breaking down whole chickens and it was time to get a proper tool for the job. I've been back and forth about Western or honesuki for quite a while but using my utility knife as an experiment has me feeling the Western style right now. Yeah, I'm sure there will be a honesuki at some time... 🤪

Look at the burr on that factory edge...lol.
Dick power! 👍🏻

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member
Reaction score
TFTFTF back from a handle / saya and thinning

Custom chukabocho by @teruyasu_fujiwara
Approx. 100mm x 200mm blade, 507g with new ironwood burl handle (previously 456g).

I had the edge geometry tuned up by @forty.knives (now hamaguri), The handle is ironwood burl with brass and G10, and saya is quarter-sawn oak with a touch of the shou sugi ban technique… both are by both by @common_trade

The engravings read:

刀工・・・sword master
四代目・・・4th generations
藤原照康 作・・・made by Fujiwara Teruyasu

タナー・・・Tanner (my name in katakana)
白一鋼・・・white 1 steel (shirogami hagane)
8089CFFD-A711-46AC-B1B1-8DFFA30D2282.jpeg
4705B3A0-19BB-4AF9-9938-786DD7797DB1.jpeg
FABFAA62-4D78-4846-9E65-66DC6BEE0A7A.jpeg
39207A45-CDDF-4634-A451-387B5E20B342.jpeg

87D2C12F-86F9-4F5C-9051-851B6933067A.jpeg

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a nice looking yoshikazu ikeda Fuji, look like sharpened by Ino shinpei too 👍👍
Thanks, that’s good to know. I got it in late-2018 but it stayed in USA until recently, just got it back with some other knives in a big shipment.

Reaction score
Nothing sexy here for sure but I'm still excited.

*Ingredients have nothing to do with the knife. Wife was gathering up stuff for salad when I slipped in for a pic.

I like breaking down whole chickens and it was time to get a proper tool for the job. I've been back and forth about Western or honesuki for quite a while but using my utility knife as an experiment has me feeling the Western style right now. Yeah, I'm sure there will be a honesuki at some time... 🤪

Look at the burr on that factory edge...lol.
I dont know why but the F.Dick factory edge is very inconsistent... I have two of them and both came with a defect in the edge at the point. A seller of my town even sharpens the knives he sells of this brand

HumbleHomeCook

Reaction score
I dont know why but the F.Dick factory edge is very inconsistent... I have two of them and both came with a defect in the edge at the point. A seller of my town even sharpens the knives he sells of this brand
It's pretty common on all the major high-volume makers. Especially at this price point but I've surely seen it on much costlier offerings as well. Easy enough to clean up. :)

RockyBasel

KKF Sponsor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Custom Togashi full tang western in ironwood, a subtle and elegant expression of pure artistry. Thanks to all the help from @moderncooking for setting this custom up and doing all the heavy lifting. Peter is a joy to work with for anyone looking at getting into some nice pieces, located in Germany.
Also to dispel any myths as to whether it is indeed a full western tang, it unequivocally is.
View attachment 123368View attachment 123369View attachment 123370View attachment 123371View attachment 123372View attachment 123373

OMG - how did you score this! Congrats - it’s thought enough to get a Honyaki Togashi, but with western full tang is a rare treat.

Who was the sharpener?

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the yanagiba make by watanabe? May I know how much for that one? Looks so beautiful to me 😍😍😍
Yes it is blue steel Watanabe left hand 330mm kensaki yanagiba, just came back from JKI. I’ll DM you more info a bit later

Reaction score
It's pretty common on all the major high-volume makers. Especially at this price point but I've surely seen it on much costlier offerings as well. Easy enough to clean up. :)
yeah, you are right, but I have also Arcos, Icel and Giesser and altough they dont have the "best" factory edge, they are very decent. I think F.Dick has some drunk sharpening robots there 🤣 , because even the seller I met says that in every 6box he finds a badly sharpened knife very often...

adam92

Reaction score

jsph

Reaction score
telegraph wire is such an interesting thought. never come across that before. seen other cables used, but something about that idea is really clever, charming, ...

congratulations. always love that tidy little maker's mark, too.

HSC /// Knives

Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
Well I finally socked enough away to be able to reward myself with this knife from my friend Tim Wright

Attachments