Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB223733-0B71-4854-900B-BADD5D1383ED.jpeg
1989D570-6F44-4351-BF8A-D67593406F5B.jpeg
B2A51174-C1EF-4047-8DB3-277602E5E86B.jpeg
E33A32D3-5DCD-4B05-A06E-CE43A1D05C59.jpeg

I can't believe I spent close to three bills on an SK5 honesuki 😳😬 but damn this thing is sweet. Kogetsu purchased through Kataba, 135x40mm, 160g. The finish is rough but the grind is ideal, has a nice taper and very thin tip. The handle is sub-misono grade and too heavy for my taste, balanced at the bolster like yo-honesukis tend to be. After a rehandling I'm hoping it'll make a nice utility knife, like a tall workhorse petty.

Last edited:
I've thought I might like a shorter honesuki. If you're gonna use it as such, please let us know.

I've thought I might like a shorter honesuki. If you're gonna use it as such, please let us know.
Eventually, but I need a proper honesuki twice a year at most. Based on my current diet I'll probably be using this more for hard cheeses and cured meats.

I can't believe I spent close to three bills on an SK5 honesuki 😳😬 but damn this thing is sweet. Kogetsu purchased through Kataba, 135x40mm, 160g. The finish is rough but the grind is ideal, has a nice taper and very thin tip. The handle is sub-misono grade and too heavy for my taste, balanced at the bolster like yo-honesukis tend to be. After a rehandling I'm hoping it'll make a nice utility knife, like a tall workhorse petty.
If you consider $300 as being too much for a SK5 honesuki, then what made you choose it over, say, a Misono Dragon, an Ichimonji Special Steel, or a Takayuki Western Blue?

(Disclaimer: I am not a honesuki-user, so I may have no idea what makes any of them better than another in active use.)

If you consider $300 as being too much for a SK5 honesuki, then what made you choose it over, say, a Misono Dragon, an Ichimonji Special Steel, or a Takayuki Western Blue?

(Disclaimer: I am not a honesuki-user, so I may have no idea what makes any of them better than another in active use.)
The size, I don't think there's another yo honesuki this small. Also, the distal taper and grind are on the thin side, more petty knife than pure honesuki

How does it cut? Can we see some patina shots?
It’s pretty awesome- the edge is insane ootb, it’s super thin, cuts so dang well. Used it tonight for dinner and it was a joy. Only thought thus far is that the handle is pretty heavy for how thin the blade is overall. May send off the Graydon for a little diet to get the balance more toward the blade... otherwise I have zero complaints 😁

TF Maboroshi 210mm, scented sticker edition. Thinned and then polished a bit with 1000 and 2000 grit stone dust on cork which gave a really nice satin finish!

How much work was the thinning? 😁 What's the height?

How much work was the thinning? 😁 What's the height?

The height is 51mm. Yeah, the thinning was work... or therapy, maybe. I knew beforehand that I was in for it. I guess 3x 2 hrs or so. Thing is, I'd never done it before so I was a bit insecure about it, so that took time, checking, wondering if I'm doing OK, checking again, stopping prematurely, wondering if I need to buy another coarse stone, checking the forums, deciding to continue with my JNS300 and SP1000 instead, etc. etc. Next time/knife should be much faster.
Anyway, enjoyed it. Now I will use it for a bit to see if I did a thorough enough job.

After seeing posts from @tostadas , @ModRQC and @Carl Kotte I figured I should take that dive.

The height is 51mm. Yeah, the thinning was work... or therapy, maybe. I knew beforehand that I was in for it. I guess 3x 2 hrs or so. Thing is, I'd never done it before so I was a bit insecure about it, so that took time, checking, wondering if I'm doing OK, checking again, stopping prematurely, wondering if I need to buy another coarse stone, checking the forums, deciding to continue with my JNS300 and SP1000 instead, etc. etc. Next time/knife should be much faster.
Anyway, enjoyed it. Now I will use it for a bit to see if I did a thorough enough job.

After seeing posts from @tostadas , @ModRQC and @Carl Kotte I figured I should take that dive.

Nice! What was the most work or the biggest issue? How's your handle?

Was the JNS coarse enough or would you have preferred a coarser one?

Enjoy it!

Biggest issue for me was create a bevel wide thinning instead of just convexing too close behind the edge - sounded easy enough but to achieve that consistently accross the full length is tricky.

JNS300 worked! Good enough. Didn't dare to use my Atoma 400.

Technically these aren’t new, but fresh polish, etch and new handles from @JoBone
First up is a wrought iron Gyuto from @RDalman with masur birch and blonde horn. I also reprofiled the heel using Robins current style as a template, fully rounded the choil and spine. This knife is crazy thin and a great cutter
B638C5A0-907D-4187-BC67-1BC0AAED3B01.jpeg
839C5BD2-4412-4FA2-B3D8-85E2B5635B36.jpeg
68F536AC-F9FC-4A5F-B73B-E528C8CBB81E.jpeg
233E62AB-9A02-414E-91E0-6C052C8679E9.jpeg
EB04E91E-DC2F-499B-BA85-E7E6EC7ACE22.jpeg
4717A381-6FBB-4295-96E4-EE9A72747766.jpeg
169A3F11-F7D3-4781-8881-02144CC98678.jpeg

Back