Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a recent IG post of Bryan’s:
E2DEC3AE-8B31-45E7-87D6-B14C78E579D5.jpeg

…This was advertised as a classic grind. Could anyone tell me what it’s considered?

View attachment 206469View attachment 206470View attachment 206471
210 Raquin Just arrived. Cut some brussle sprouts, onion, and tomatoes. Great cutting feel. Very authoritative, much different than my suiboku and tetsujin metal flow. OOB edge not tomato ready (to my liking), but very happy with the purchase.
This was advertised as a classic grind. Could anyone tell me what it’s considered?
Definitely looks thicker than a laser. Looks kinda KT to me

Reactions: KOA
Morihei Hisamoto (Teruyasu Fujiwara) Shirogami #1 270 mm gyuto (thick)
4.5 thickness heel
2.7 thickness mid
1.5 thickness 1cm from tip
58 height
277 edge
384g

Wanted to try my first TF, but I might have gone a bit overboard.
1667487198394.jpeg
1667488681243.png

1667488848307.png
1667488921949.png

1667489250017.png

In one word, this knife is CRUDE. I would normally call it “rustic”, but that seems a bit of an understatement in this case.

Pros
  • Initial geometry isn’t super wedgy/cracky like I thought it was going to be for a knife with the descriptor “thick” in its name. (Still needs work though)
  • Handle is comfortable.
  • Balance is a bit behind the first kanji, which is pretty far forward for a yo handle knife although I’d like it a little more forward.
  • No apparent issues with the profile.
  • The KU finish is nice and durable.
Cons
  • The edge bevel makes it look like the knife was sharpened by someone wearing a blindfold during an earthquake while being attacked by fire ants. Just crazy wavy and inconsistent which makes it more difficult to thin evenly behind the edge.
  • Tip area needs a good amount of work.
  • A few apparent low spots on the right side and at least one on the left side. Not too major.
  • While the handle is comfortable, the F+F at the bolster is pretty bad, lives up to the TF reputation.
  • Spine and choil could use some work.
Played around with the steel a little bit and it seems VERY wear resistant. Need to thin behind the edge to get a better feel for it.

OOTB test video:

4.5 thickness heel
2.7 thickness mid
58 height
277 edge
384g

View attachment 206551View attachment 206553
View attachment 206554View attachment 206555
View attachment 206559
In one word, this knife is CRUDE. I would normally call it “rustic”, but that seems a bit of an understatement in this case.

Pros
  • Initial geometry isn’t super wedgy/cracky like I thought it was going to be for a knife with the descriptor “thick” in its name. (Still needs work though)
  • Handle is comfortable.
  • Balance is a bit behind the first kanji, which is pretty far forward for a yo handle knife although I’d like it a little more forward.
Cons
  • The edge bevel makes it look like the knife was sharpened by someone wearing a blindfold during an earthquake while being attacked by fire ants. Just crazy wavy and inconsistent which makes it more difficult to thin evenly behind the edge.
  • A few apparent low spots on the right side and at least one on the left side. Not too major.
  • While the handle is comfortable, the F+F at the bolster is pretty bad, lives up to the TF reputation.
Played around with the steel a little bit and it seems VERY wear resistant. Need to thin behind the edge to get a better feel for it.

OOTB test video:

Very good specs and phenomenal balance for a yo handle knife IMO. A true workhorse that can perform greatly after some bevel flattening/thinning. Distal taper not great but not bad either (compared to workhorses like Heiji and Wat Kurochi).

Very good specs and phenomenal balance for a yo handle knife IMO. A true workhorse that can perform greatly after some bevel flattening/thinning. Distal taper not great but not bad either (compared to workhorses like Heiji and Wat Kurochi).
Yeah, reminds me of a KU Wat where it cuts much better than you would think just based off specs and choil shot. And the forward balance is really nice. After I finish working on the bevels, I might look for someone who can taper the tang a little and do a slimmer, lighter, maybe “coke bottle” type yo handle to push the balance forward a little more.

View attachment 206469View attachment 206470View attachment 206471
210 Raquin Just arrived. Cut some brussle sprouts, onion, and tomatoes. Great cutting feel. Very authoritative, much different than my suiboku and tetsujin metal flow. OOB edge not tomato ready (to my liking), but very happy with the purchase.
This was advertised as a classic grind. Could anyone tell me what it’s considered?

Edited to correct: This is actually a Regular grind NOT Classic.
I think I owned that knife! Either way I regret selling my Raquin.

4.5 thickness heel
2.7 thickness mid
58 height
277 edge
384g

View attachment 206551View attachment 206553
View attachment 206554View attachment 206555
View attachment 206559

Pros
  • Handle is comfortable.
Cons

OOTB test video:

Nice! What's with the "thanks Pham" guy in all your video comments lol?

Couple of utility knives:

180 Ashi stainless petty. Love me some Ashi! Got this from Blue Way Japan on eBay. I'm always impressed by the price / quality ratio from theses knives. And 180 is indeed the best petty size (@daveb).

180 Misono carbon gyuto - initially bought as a "wife knife" but of course I've been using it a lot as a "beater utility" where the Ashi might be too fragile (filleting small fish, carving meats, etc). Patina post roasted chicken carving :)

IMG_7606.jpeg

IMG_7607.jpeg

Last edited:
Couple of utility knives:

180 Ashi stainless petty. Love me some Ashi! Got this from Blue Way Japan on eBay. I'm always impressed by the price / quality ratio from theses knives. And 180 is indeed the best petty size (@daveb).

180 Misono carbon gyuto - initially bought as a "wife knife" but of course I've been using it a lot as a "beater utility" where the Ashi might be too fragile (filleting small fish, carving meats, etc). Patina post roasted chicken carving :)

View attachment 206715

View attachment 206714
Kind of interested in having one of these 180 petties around. Have you had any experience with a white 2 or a yo handled variant?

Kind of interested in having one of these 180 petties around. Have you had any experience with a white 2 or a yo handled variant?
No first hand experience, but from user reviews here and also Jon's comments I understand that the blades are always identical on Ashi knives (grind and measurements), across wa or yo handled, white 2 or stainless variants.

Yo handled variants are always going to be a bit heavier overall and have the balance point closer to the handle (on a petty that shouldn't make much difference).

I got a wa handled only because it was a bit cheaper. Yo's look great though, F&F on handle/tang seems solid.

I've also read here that white 2 Ashi's are quite reactive until they have some patina. I use mine for citrus a lot so I went with stainless (which also sharpens quite easily).

No first hand experience, but from user reviews here and also Jon's comments I understand that the blades are always identical on Ashi knives (grind and measurements), across wa or yo handled, white 2 or stainless variants.

Yo handled variants are always going to be a bit heavier overall and have the balance point closer to the handle (on a petty that shouldn't make much difference).

I got a wa handled only because it was a bit cheaper. Yo's look great though, F&F on handle/tang seems solid.

I've also read here that white 2 Ashi's are quite reactive until they have some patina. I use mine for citrus a lot so I went with stainless (which also sharpens quite easily).

Should be noted that Wa variants are subject to Sakai measurements, while the Yo variants are closer to true to size.

CC65A198-D857-4744-987B-590CE09B2A57.jpeg

With a little help from my friends.

I’ve been looking for a Gyuto from Andy Billipps for quite a while. One of my friends finally responded to my pleas and let me have one of his.

The pics don’t do it Justice, but here are a few.

7797EADB-D680-4B5C-8F96-384095936CFA.jpeg
46A2A06B-E677-4845-BEB3-5A1262511DB9.jpeg
90AA9B0F-6586-4513-BEB3-FDE30CF34CAC.jpeg
D41330C9-E821-477C-90B9-2E29685EFC2E.jpeg
7DFDF113-1FF9-4990-A850-31823E61BA17.jpeg
FCCF2C91-1051-4E28-9FFA-863664F5F490.jpeg

The vital specs are …

Blade length … 236mm
Edge length … 227mm
Depth at heel … 54mm
Thickness, measured at spine … 7.12mm at heel, 2.04mm at mid blade, .99mm 1” from tip
Weight … 224gms
Steel … 52100

I couldn’t wait to put the newest member of my family to work with a Bulgogi based stir fry.

CD1A10D9-B8B7-4FB2-AC58-56D61B5DC089.jpeg
18EDAB29-4574-4A5A-9A61-810A01278D8E.jpeg
7FC0FFFD-4DA0-4A1F-9EE0-C9C3355F6D74.jpeg

I could go on with a glowing description of the features of this knife. Suffice to say that’s it’s as good as Andy’s reputation. Maybe better.

Oh yes … wait for an upcoming appearance in the Naughty Schoolboy thread, great potato Slapdown.

Back