Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raquin 26c3 wrought clad KT gyuto

Length heel to tip: 230mm
Height at heel: 52cm
Weight: 217g
Thickness at heel: 5.4mm

IMG_6309.jpg
IMG_6315.jpg
IMG_6354.jpg
IMG_6350.jpg
IMG_6318.jpg
IMG_6343.jpg
IMG_6336.jpg

Ikazuchi 240mm. While teaching would recom. Knives all 240 as their Mercer school kit was a 210. This was most expensive 200.00. A lot for a culinary student. Back then could get MM Nashiji Tanaka 240 gensan steel D ho handle with horn ferrel 120.00. Later went to VG10 & plastic ferrel.

Several students bought the Ikazuchi. Also sold my pass around to a student. One told me it was his most used knife at work.

When he got them back in stock I ordered one always liked this blade. Comes with saya still 200.00. I drilled hole with very sharp bit, guitar pin abalone insert. Cut & trim it to friction fit. Treat handle & says with tung oil, shellac 50/50 mix. Now just need to sharpen & start using it.
IMG_20221106_130202746.jpg
IMG_20221106_131632770_HDR.jpg

This boy is coming home to me. First knife from Will, and first Magnacut in the kitchen, very excited. I have been wanting to try his work out for awhile, his hand satin and wood work look to be some of the best in the game. Also a sucker for rosewood, however I was close to grabbing that apex ultra gyuto instead. That red amboyna is to die for, but alas I have an apex ultra gyuto I love, and I have been meaning to try magnacut chef boi.

magnacut1.jpg

magnacut2.jpg

This boy is coming home to me. First knife from Will, and first Magnacut in the kitchen, very excited. I have been wanting to try his work out for awhile, his hand satin and wood work look to be some of the best in the game. Also a sucker for rosewood, however I was close to grabbing that apex ultra gyuto instead. That red amboyna is to die for, but alas I have an apex ultra gyuto I love, and I have been meaning to try magnacut chef boi.

View attachment 207100

View attachment 207099

Will makes an amazing cutter. Congrats but why would you buy a suboptimal HRC?

F7593C93-E6E2-4AFB-A5D8-7B021E99AF9F.jpeg

Will makes an amazing cutter. Congrats but why would you buy a suboptimal HRC?

View attachment 207101
64 is good, very good in fact, a nice sweetspot in the kitchen for sure :) wouldn't buy below 63. I think you got your numbers mixed up. 62.5 is suboptimal. Any other questions? I posted coming prepared.

Last edited:

View attachment 207100

View attachment 207099
I missed both drop, congrats.

View attachment 206927

With a little help from my friends.

I’ve been looking for a Gyuto from Andy Billipps for quite a while. One of my friends finally responded to my pleas and let me have one of his.

The pics don’t do it Justice, but here are a few.

View attachment 206928View attachment 206929View attachment 206930View attachment 206931View attachment 206932View attachment 206933

The vital specs are …

Blade length … 236mm
Edge length … 227mm
Depth at heel … 54mm
Thickness, measured at spine … 7.12mm at heel, 2.04mm at mid blade, .99mm 1” from tip
Weight … 224gms
Steel … 52100

I couldn’t wait to put the newest member of my family to work with a Bulgogi based stir fry.

View attachment 206934View attachment 206935View attachment 206936

I could go on with a glowing description of the features of this knife. Suffice to say that’s it’s as good as Andy’s reputation. Maybe better.

Oh yes … wait for an upcoming appearance in the Naughty Schoolboy thread, great potato Slapdown.
That looks like some Ono grinds comfort food

Love it. Not that it matters much but out of curiosity do you know the sharpener?

Thanks. I don't know the sharpener but Evan might. I think you can request a sharpener if you have a particular Sakai sharpener in mind that Kikumori works with, but I just asked for a particular finish (convex so-bokashi) and they chose the sharpener.

MCX Swedish Honyaki Doppelwumms!

MCX Spare 230 from Whit3Nitro and MCS Isasmedjan 240 from matchplay18. Both transactions went perfect, thanks guys!

As you can see, the Spare has already seen some action. It's not a heavy knife at 190g, and 230mm is my favorite gyuto length. It's a bit more robust behind the edge, though, which can definitely be felt in denser ingredients. Thinking about thinning it somewhat behind the edge. But generally this has become one of my favorite knives very soon. It is very much of what I had been looking for in the last 20ish knive acquisitions. Very close to the perfect KKF for me.

So the Isa has some big shoes to fill. It is still new, as you can see, but I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces. Gorgeous distal taper which I found difficult to capturein the photo. It feels more nimble and has significantly more flex than the Spare, weighing 10g more. It has a nice semi-silky polish which I will ruin very soon 😈

4H2A3376.jpg

4H2A3387.jpg

4H2A3417.jpg

Spare's hamon line has disappeared in the patina, but it's very much there:

4H2A3256.jpg

Back