Show Your Newest Sharpening Gear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to mess around with the coticule tonight. I am not sure about its speed relative to other coticules, but I can tell you it puts a NP3k to absolute shame and is much much finer. I'm seriously impressed. It did great on B2 and even some Global stainless. We likes it... a lot. Will compare it to an Aizu tomorrow.

Plan to test some other naturals this weekend as well. Been about 6 weeks since I've had time to play with stones. As someone who is still relatively new, I can tell you my sharpening is rusty! Looking forward to the new HHT quest popping up on an old thread.

View attachment 247687
cotis are awesome… have you tried the BBW side on this one?

Not yet! Tomorrow 👍. I have a smaller pure bbw stone. Will be interesting to compare. Been learning that the variation in natural stones is for real though - shocking. Will have a tale of 2 Washitas to write up at some point. Pretty different beasts.

Last edited:
Not yet! Tomorrow 👍. I have a smaller pure bbw stone. Will be interesting to compare. Been learning that the variation in natural stones is for real though - shocking. Will have a tale of 2 Washitas to write up at some point. Pretty different beasts.
They're all different, that's why you buy every single one you come across, to see what that one's like (it could be better!)

Not sharpening gear directly, but storage for my sharpening stuff. Still another couple shelves to add. Can wheel it in and out of the closet as needed
92FC9373-68A3-4CD6-963C-90B06B81BC7B.jpeg

Not sharpening gear directly, but storage for my sharpening stuff. Still another couple shelves to add. Can wheel it in and out of the closet as needed
View attachment 247780
That's awesome. I've been looking at mobile prep stations to set up for a sharpening station. Just to have the convenience of being able to move it and store it more easily. My rock's still live on a cabinet in the lounge 😔

That's awesome. I've been looking at mobile prep stations to set up for a sharpening station. Just to have the convenience of being able to move it and store it more easily. My rock's still live on a cabinet in the lounge 😔
Until today my kit lived scattered across my apartment in like 5 locations haha

Got a really nice deal on this okudo suita, probably because it's pretty thin. Decided to try one out because they are called the king of suita. Honestly, I don't have the experience to tell a huge difference, but the coloring is really pretty, it cuts really quick, and is buttery smooth. Leaves a great finish. Curious if it's a sunashi, I don't really see any su holes on it I think?

Also curious if it's a shiro suita, I know there are white suitas that aren't shiro suita, I just know this one is pale white. I do know that it should at least be a real okudo, since it's from imanashi who seem to be reputable.

okudo.jpg

okudo2.jpg

okudo1.jpg

okudo3.jpg

okudokasumi.jpg

Last edited:
Not having a dedicated sharpening station. I clear a space on the kitchen bench, I've been thinking about this movable table idea for a while and finally did it. When the wheels are locked I can still rock it back and forth but it's not too bad. With heavy grinding I might have to butt it up against a bench or something. One thing for sure is that it's freed up space for the rest of the stone's
20230724_082018.jpg

So… I’m new in the jnat world. Being reading and asking A LOT of questions. I’ve been gathering these stones over the last month and a half and are now in that great process of getting to know them ❤️ (some for edges others for polishing.)

From right to left

Binsui, Aoto, Aizu, Uchigumori, Nakayama Misu Asagi

IMG_8084.jpeg
IMG_8083.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg
IMG_8088.jpeg
IMG_8089.jpeg

So… I’m new in the jnat world. Being reading and asking A LOT of questions. I’ve been gathering these stones over the last month and a half and are now in that great process of getting to know them ❤️ (some for edges others for polishing.)

From right to left

Binsui, Aoto, Aizu, Uchigumori, Nakayama Misu Asagi

View attachment 258204View attachment 258205View attachment 258206View attachment 258207View attachment 258208

Love how that aizu looks like a chunk of snowy sidewalk

Had a hard time finding a bigger and cleaner piece. For know I’m quite happy with it - it looks beautiful

Got the JKI 800 VitD semi-recently. Phew... let me share just a couple of things. First... I am a big fan. It reminds me a lot of my SP1k in terms of speed and grit. Maybe a little less nice with regards to feedback but also much more precise because it is hard AF. I also don't think it performs much differently on various steels. Very consistent. I don't find myself using a lot more pressure on tougher stuff. You should really never have to lap it... until you do. And let me tell you... I made a big mistake with it. Somehow I either tipped a knife into it (except I have no missing tips) or a piece of steel embedded into the surface much like a piece of pencil graphite stuck in an eraser. I took a corner of a coarse stone and tried to dig it out.... you can already see the problem here. Very likely I pushed it deeper. Well... if and when you need to lap the thing better get ready for a fight. Coarse SiC + glass is pretty much the only way to go. It will kill an atoma and the hardcore sounding Manticore didn't seem to be as effective as SiC on glass. Probably spent close to an hour grinding away. Back to working order though! Just hoping that contaminant is long gone!

VitD.jpg

Last edited:
Got the JKI 800 VitD semi-recently. Phew... let me share just a couple of things. First... I am a big fan. It reminds me a lot of my SP1k in terms of speed and grit. Maybe a little less nice with regards to feedback but also much more precise because it is hard AF. I also don't think it performs much differently on various steels. Very consistent. I don't find myself using a lot more pressure on tougher stuff. You should really never have to lap it... until you do. And let me tell you... I made a big mistake with it. Somehow I either tipped a knife into it (except I have no missing tips) or a piece of steel embedded into the surface much like a piece of pencil graphite stuck in an eraser. I took a corner of a coarse stone and tried to dig it out.... you can already see the problem here. Very likely I pushed it deeper. Well... if and when you need to lap the thing better get ready for a fight. Coarse SiC + glass is pretty much the only way to go. It will kill an atoma and the hardcore sounding Manticore didn't seem to be as effective as SiC on glass. Probably spent close to an hour grinding away. Back to working order though! Just hoping that contaminant is long gone!

View attachment 258394
For a real eye opener, sharpen some soft cheap stainless.

View attachment 258394
I grabbed this one a couple of months ago, big fan as well. Another use is removing coarse thinning scratches - it erases any 200 grit marks easily (assuming the bevels are flat, as it makes no mud) and then you can jump straight to a 3k.

Sharpening soft stainless feels like cheating, I like bringing it to friends and family’s places and sharpening everything in sight lol.

Sharpening soft stainless feels like cheating, I like bringing it to friends and family’s places and sharpening everything in sight lol.
First time I sharpened soft stainless, I thought to myself, "That's it? Burr is gone already? Are you sure? Yup, it's gone."

Real eye opener.

@M1k3 It has seen plenty of Global steel! Honestly, maybe that is why I haven't had any trouble sharpening Globals?? I rarely had issues on my SP1k either but can confirm the VitD has the advantage.
Global steel may be as irritating to sharpen as cheap soft stainless, but for different reasons; it's not at all the same kind of stuff, nor the same kind of sharpening experience. In both cases, though, diamonds are the fix, and a vitrified diamond stone the best fix of all.

Back