Show Your Newest Sharpening Gear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly sharpening gear, but nowhere else to post this...

Sunday craftday - DIY camellia oil dispenser. Repurposed vitamin pot + cotton + cheesecloth + oil. Same concept as a woodworking French polish rubber. Small projects like this are so satisfying!

IMG_1970.jpeg

Last edited:
Out of this world Binsui - top performer!

Attachments

• IMG_8415.jpeg
    IMG_8415.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8425.jpeg
    IMG_8425.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8423.jpeg
    IMG_8423.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Drunkenly ordered a Big Beautiful Belgium Blue and forgot about it. I love when surprises come in the mail! Wat Pro for scale
View attachment 267131
View attachment 267132
It would be fun if we could get the Internet to start insisting on Wat Pro nakiris instead of bananas for scale.

That must have been a very nice surprise. I have a similar stone, and just touched up 4 good knives on it, and marveled at the performance and the fun factor, and the excellence of the final edge. With enough slurry, the stone wasn't even that slow, despite its reputation.

It would be fun if we could get the Internet to start insisting on Wat Pro nakiris instead of bananas for scale.

That must have been a very nice surprise. I have a similar stone, and just touched up 4 good knives on it, and marveled at the performance and the fun factor, and the excellence of the final edge. With enough slurry, the stone wasn't even that slow, despite its reputation.
I've noticed the several BBWs I've purchased from AC are creamier and less gravely than the 2 I got from American vendors, coticules are nicer too. Should all be from the same place but I think telling Rob my precise use-case and preference (I want the same stone you sent me earlier, but BIG) definitely helps guarantee I'm happy with it.

The gravely one is not pleasant to use on super hard, crispy steel like the Wat but lordy it puts a mean edge on it.

Straight from the source - asked Rob for a natural combi at least 200x60 with manganese inclusions and he got back to me with this. Snapped it up.

dibs.

I mean that seriously btw. if you decide you want to part with that just dm me the price.

These NSK stones are addictive. Just got an 800 of the hardest option, and it is truly great, rivalling the BBB 1K for stainless and supersteels, despite being quite different.
I was quite interested in the 800 but decided to go for the 400 as a starting point. The 200 also seems interesting.

I do agree these feel quite different to any other stone I've tried so far. Feels very smooth and slick for a 400 grit.This is my first resin bonded diamond stone, so I think it will take a while to get used to.

I was very interested in the BBB Vitrified Diamond, but they are very difficult to get hold of. Hopefully will be able to compare it to the JKI Gesshin Vitrified 800 soon.

Wanted to try an Ikarashi and this Ueno was to great of a deal not get while I had my money out.

Attachments

• IMG_8535.jpeg
    IMG_8535.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8536.jpeg
    IMG_8536.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8537.jpeg
    IMG_8537.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8539.jpeg
    IMG_8539.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
This Suehiro Debado 180 arrived yesterday. Trying to up my thinning game.

new stone to work on my projects… after burning through two SG220 I decided to try something different
You two wrote these within a few days of each other, regarding the Debado 180. How do you like yours? Is it measurably superior to 220s for thinning? Thanks.

You two wrote these within a few days of each other, regarding the Debado 180. How do you like yours? Is it measurably superior to 220s for thinning? Thanks.
I have only used it to thin a Misono Swedish gyuto, so it needs more testing. Also, I can only compare it to my SG220 in this grit range (also bought a 240 Sigma but haven't used it yet). I have a bunch of projects to do, will post here again when I test it more.

Compared to the SG220, I'd say the Debado cuts as fast, maybe a tiny bit faster. It is medium-hard while the SG220 is hard, which means the Debado dishes a bit more but also feels slightly more pleasurable. It doesn't clog, at least in my use, just keeps cutting and releasing fresh abrasive. It's not a muddy stone but produces a thin mud that helps making thing smoother.

I feel like I can use a lot of pressure in both SG220 and SG500 and they won't dish more as a result (nothing noticeable). With the Debado I use moderate pressure - if you go too aggressive, it will dish more but won't cut significantly faster (it's already fast with moderate pressure). Scratch depth is similar, I can erase both SG220 and Debado scratches easily with my SG500.

There are a few sizes available for the Debado (LD, MD, etc), my LD is the smallest. But it's still a generous size and I like that vs the Shapton (not saying it lasts longer because the SG is denser, but I find the taller size more comfortable (more knuckle clearance).

All-in-all I'm happy with it. I like the SG220 but I prefer the Debado a bit more if I had to choose.

Last edited:
I would love to hear your opinion of that stone. I've used mine a hand full of times, and I am pretty happy with it, but I don't have the wealth of experience many of this forums members have.
Btw, I think there is some pumace or white powder on those. After a bit of scrubbing mine turned out to have a bit of a tea stain appearance.

Happy new stone day! :p
Finally got around to using that Washita, luckily had some honing oil tucked away. Mine turned kinda greyish once I put the oil on before sharpening.

I tried a ginsan santoku that still had a decent edge. I was surprised at how quickly this stone formed a burr with pretty light pressure, but also deburring wasn't an issue. I only messed around with paper towels and a random grocery bag I had nearby but I'm extremely pleased with the toothy edge it produced. Looking forward to attacking some tomatoes and peppers. If my initial impressions hold true, this will make a beautiful pocket knife stone. A little small for my cleaver but I'm going to try it anyway soon.

Best $15 I've spent in a while, just wish they were water stones like the Belgians.

Finally got around to using that Washita, luckily had some honing oil tucked away. Mine turned kinda greyish once I put the oil on before sharpening.

I tried a ginsan santoku that still had a decent edge. I was surprised at how quickly this stone formed a burr with pretty light pressure, but also deburring wasn't an issue. I only messed around with paper towels and a random grocery bag I had nearby but I'm extremely pleased with the toothy edge it produced. Looking forward to attacking some tomatoes and peppers. If my initial impressions hold true, this will make a beautiful pocket knife stone. A little small for my cleaver but I'm going to try it anyway soon.

Best $15 I've spent in a while, just wish they were water stones like the Belgians.
A little soap with water does work.

Back