Show Your Newest Sharpening Gear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay. Just $1750USD. Hurry before I list it on Ebay. :)
7gi0rq.jpg

I'm sure I don't need to explain to anyone here what an SG500 polish looks like - you've all got one. And if you don't then you want to take a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror, and ask if you are really, truly happy with your life choices so far.

I looked at myself in the mirror and asked... despite needing to lose a few, am I truly happy with my life choices so far? The answer was no...

SG500 Club.jpg

To be broken in tomorrow.

I looked at myself in the mirror and asked... despite needing to lose a few, am I truly happy with my life choices so far? The answer was no...

View attachment 234769

Nice work!

It's probably the most universally-liked stone on the forums. And with good reason; you can't even accuse it being overrated, it's just excellent.

View attachment 234769

You can spank yourself with the new strop for not buying it sooner.

I was at an antique store today and there was a box with stones for $5 each. I got these three because they seemed to be the finest grit. One is just a vintage razor hone but after I did some initial flattening the smallest one looks interesting. The big one is something in the range of 1k, probably synthetic, reeks of oil. The little one is badly dished but one side is purple-ish and the other is cream. The side seems to show its a natural stone and the cream layer is quite thin, very fine, but badly dished in the middle. What is is? What do I do to make the most of it?

Attachments

• 20230407_192058.jpg
    20230407_192058.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230407_193448.jpg
    20230407_193448.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230407_193420.jpg
    20230407_193420.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230407_193511.jpg
    20230407_193511.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
I was at an antique store today and there was a box with stones for $5 each. I got these three because they seemed to be the finest grit. One is just a vintage razor hone but after I did some initial flattening the smallest one looks interesting. The big one is something in the range of 1k, probably synthetic, reeks of oil. The little one is badly dished but one side is purple-ish and the other is cream. The side seems to show its a natural stone and the cream layer is quite thin, very fine, but badly dished in the middle. What is is? What do I do to make the most of it?
Mate, that is a great score for $15!

The big one looks like a soft Arkansas to me, but the novaculite gang will be along in a minute to confirm.

The small cream and purple one is a coticule/Belgian blue natural combo, and a nice quality one from the looks of it, even if small.

L-R: Natural Coticule\BBW (coti layer is almost spent, still plenty of wonderful life left for knives), Novaculite for sure (looks Washita to me), generic razor hone.

All are worth more than $5, but the Coti/BBW and the washita are steals for that price and honestly that as a two stone (well three) setup is arguably all you'll need unless you're doing heavy stock removal; I'd be DELIGHTED with that haul.

If you have questions or anything on using them or anything else feel free to shoot me DM, or just search for Coticules, Belgian Blue Whetstone, or Washita and you'll find plenty of info on the two gems you found.

Thank you both for your help. I suspected it was a coticule but having never seen one, I was hoping someone would chime in. I still have some flattening to do. The big one is almost an inch thick. I should be able to have a flat surface of BBW all the way. The coticule is split halfway and I won't be able to use more than half at a time.

Thank you both for your help. I suspected it was a coticule but having never seen one, I was hoping someone would chime in. I still have some flattening to do. The big one is almost an inch thick. I should be able to have a flat surface of BBW all the way. The coticule is split halfway and I won't be able to use more than half at a time.
That doesn't bother me personally, but it will take a little bit of adjustment to make work because cotis are (typically) blazingly fast so they'll cut in off angle facets on your bevel within a few strokes if you've got wobble or you're not all the way lined up right.

Bit small isn’t it? 😂

Nice rock mate. That’s awesome
Thanks! Still in awe of just how much stone there actually is.
5EC3B807-A62B-453F-979E-5E69E29E2D3D.jpeg

Crapped out a quick polish after lapping off the top scratchy layer - fast and smooth with the classic marou grippy feedback.

Arashiyama 1000
Nano-Hone 100
Imanishi Ohira Tomae #678 with a little red blush, my first J-Nat. From Bernal. Thank you Taylor for stepping away from sharpening to help me make the choice.
IMG_3599.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3593.jpeg
    IMG_3593.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3594.jpeg
    IMG_3594.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3595.jpeg
    IMG_3595.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3605.jpeg
    IMG_3605.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3607.jpeg
    IMG_3607.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 2023-04-19-01-43-40-890.jpeg
    2023-04-19-01-43-40-890.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 2023-04-19-01-44-06-441.jpeg
    2023-04-19-01-44-06-441.jpeg
    941.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3602.jpeg
    IMG_3602.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Btw does anyone know if savorypromo.com is for real?

I’m surprised to find a listing for my stone #678 for $93.99

https://www.savorypromo.com/natural...-type-40-size-1514-grams-3-5-4-hard-4-4-fine/
I followed the link. It looks like they hijacked Bernal Cutlery name and photos to make it look legit, dolled it up with some cute graphics, and wrote stuff that’s nonsensical (read the section “about us”). So I would say there’s a 100% chance it’s a scam. I’ll notify Bernal.

Picked up this mystery stone of the Bay, wasn't expecting it to be so skinny, 5mm Thick (should say Thin), but after a good clean up and a flatten on the Atoma140, kinda looked interesting. Ran my beater Nakiri in Blue#2 and a couple of petty's in Stainless VG10 on the stone and was a little blown away by the cutting speed and resulting keen but toothy edge. Would guess its somewhere in the 1000 - 2000 grit range. This one is going to live in the kitchen, kicked out the SP2000.
Thin1.jpg

Back